Recent Topics

1 Jan 15, 2008 23:45    

My b2evolution Version: 0.9.1

Greets, hope I'm dropping this in the right place.

I just lost my tech to military service. I am competent, but not real familiar with the mechanics of this blog engine.

I want to upgrade to the latest version of B2E from 0.9.1 which we are running now.

I'm confident I can handle it, but I'm terrified of losing posts. I have made a complete backup of the blog in ZIP form.

Can anyone tell me how to go about restoring the old posts once I complete the upgrade? All help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanx!

:)

3 Jan 16, 2008 00:10

John wrote:

Just follow the upgrade prompts and be amazed :)

I've upgraded every version from [URL=http://b2evolution.net/about/evolutionofb2.html]0.6.1[/URL] and it's never failed me.

Also make a backup of your database

Upgrade prompts? Wasn't expecting that much love from a proggie. :D
I'll give it a try and may return to ask for more help. No problem with the backups. This much I can do.

Thanx, John. You're very kind.

4 Jan 16, 2008 00:12

BACKUP YOUR DATABASE FIRST .... best bit of advice ever huh? ;)

¥

5 Jan 16, 2008 00:20

If you've customized your skin and absolutely MUST keep it then go to 1.10.3 instead of the latest 2.3.0-RC1 package. Either way your old skin is toast, but with 1.10.3 your hacks are more likely to be "repeatable". And yes absolutely backup your DB because just in case, but nothing ever goes wrong if you have a backup :)

@John: what was your first b2evolution version? Just curious yah? I think Topanga has us all beat because she was in the single digits for downloading v086. I'm a late joiner at 0862 ;) Francois, of course, probably has stuff that pre-dates even Topanga's first download!

(Wow a b2 user who migrated. That's cool!)

EDIT: wait a minute. I installed via Fantastico then joined the forums, so there is no way my first version could have been 0862 - but I don't remember the 086 interface. Maybe I was using 0861 but back in the day Fantastico didn't do odd number releases because they felt that meant "development" release. hmmm....

7 Jan 16, 2008 00:38

@EdB... I think it 0.8.9 The name "Spring" sticks in my somewhat shaken brain

8 Jan 16, 2008 01:09

Thanx to all. Just a bit of advice needed....

Backups are completed.

I'm upgrading to 1.8

I'm reading the General Procedures now and naturally I've become a big chicken when I arrived at the "delete all files" part.

My host is powweb. My web shell is arranged like this:

Folder 1 - Ablogination (my blog name)
v.....Folder 2 - htdocs
v..........Folder 3 - Blog

Do I delete Folder 3, or just the files inside it?

Thanx again. Hope I'm not a pain. ;-]_~

9 Jan 16, 2008 01:18

Delete ONLY that which b2evolution produced! It sounds like folder 3 yah? Oh and do be careful to have a copy of your conf/_config.php handy as you will need that info for your new conf/_basic_config.php file. Also make sure everything in your media folder is backed up nicely.

1.8? What an odd version to stop at. Is there any reason you're not going to the absolutely stablest version released so far (which would be 1.10.3 by the way). The whole 1.8 series was short-lived and really nothing more than a stepping stone to the world of 110. 1.10.2 is quite strong, and 1.10.3 came out after the 2.* world started forming.

Please: if you're going to do the work it takes to upgrade why go to a place no one is at anymore? Go to 1103. Your friends will see a spring in your step and a twinkle in your eye and wonder "why is captainkona so springy and twinkly?" You'll know eh ;)

10 Jan 16, 2008 01:37

Cool, thanx.

I was following the link "upgrade from 0.9.x to 1.8.x". Thought there might be limitations.

Ok

Just D/L'd 1.10.3

Media file (pix etc.) is safe and config.php is on desktop. :)

I'll go for it later tonight when all is quiet.
Will return tomorrow to cheer, or cry, as the case may be.

You guys are a big help! Thanx again.

11 Jan 16, 2008 02:09

Just remember that Database backup :)

Good luck

12 Jan 16, 2008 02:19

Oops,

Had to come back.

The General Instructions say to "Run the installation script on your server".

I see no option in my file manager to "Run" anything. Just add, delete, chmod, etc...
I see the file, but how do I run it?

Thanx again.

13 Jan 16, 2008 02:22

yourblog/install/install.php but it may also be yourblog/install/index.php

Run it in your browser

14 Jan 16, 2008 02:24

Thanx, Afwas

But do I execute this file through my FTP client? How do I run it in my browser?

Ahhhh, as http ;)

Thanx.

15 Jan 16, 2008 02:56

Unfortunately, none of the following urls seem to work.
mysite/ablogination/install/install.php
mysite/ablogination/install/index.php
mysite/ablogination/blogs/install/install.php
mysite/ablogination/blogs/install/index.php
mysite/ablogination/blogs/install/_functions_install.php

Any ideas? I'm not stressing yet. :)

16 Jan 16, 2008 03:05

Just try to open your blog's page. You will be notified the database is not correct and it will give you hints as to where the install folder is.

17 Jan 16, 2008 03:40

I get only a 404 by using the basic url.

Thanx for staying with me, Afwas.

Time to go home. I'll return tomorrow with a clear head and we'll try again.

Peace.

18 Jan 16, 2008 03:45

Remove *all* old files except the /media/ folder. Upload *all* files from the 1.10 package. Then you should be able to find the install folder and run the script. Do take care you upload to the folder you want to ;)

see U

19 Jan 16, 2008 18:46

Thanx again, Afwas.

I have the files ul'd and I have the install folder and the install files in sight. I just can't seem to get the installation to run in my browser.

Is None of the urls, install.php...index.php... seem to work. But I get no database error so maybe that's good?
I do get 404.

The old 0.9 version created a folder called "blog". The upgrade created one called "blogs". Would this be a problem?

20 Jan 16, 2008 19:11

Any chance of a link to your blog?

¥

21 Jan 16, 2008 19:14

¥åßßå wrote:

Any chance of a link to your blog?

¥

Of course. And thank you.

ablogination.tn420.org/blog

Just a question, from the general instructions....
"Upload all new b2evolution files from the /blogs folder to your site"

Should I have ul'd the "/blogs" folder, or just the files inside?

22 Jan 16, 2008 19:21

hi, if you visit you're root url ( http://ablogination.tn420.org/ ) you'll see it shows an empty folder.

This would suggest that you've uploaded your files to the wrong location. On our servers your files would be in a location like :

/home/ablognation/public_html/

¥

23 Jan 16, 2008 19:29

¥åßßå wrote:

hi, if you visit you're root url ( http://ablogination.tn420.org/ ) you'll see it shows an empty folder.

This would suggest that you've uploaded your files to the wrong location. On our servers your files would be in a location like :

/home/ablognation/public_html/

¥

Thanx much! That does shed light on this.

My structure looks like this:

/home/ablogination/Blogs

The "Blogs" folder came with the upgrade. I placed it in the same spot the old deleted files were. The old folder was called "Blog"...without the "s"

Thanx for your efforts. I'll keep at it.
B)

24 Jan 16, 2008 21:30

YESSSSS!!!!!!!

Now we're gettin' somewhere.

I am in the installer program. I am here:
"How do you want to install b2evolution?
------------------------
The installation can be done in different ways. Choose one:

New Install: Install b2evolution database tables with sample data.

Upgrade from a previous version of b2evolution: Upgrade your b2evolution database tables in order to make them compatible with the current version.

WARNING: If you have modified your database, this operation may fail. Make sure you have a backup. NOTE: Your stats will be reset.

Upgrade from Cafelog/b2 v 0.6.x: Install b2evolution database tables and copy your existing Cafelog/b2 data into them.
-----------------------------------

I'm trying to use the upgrade option but it won't allow me to do so. Do I need to "upgrade" the database tables? What manner of upgrade?
Will this upgrade cause the loss of old posts?

You guys almost have this fixed. :)

25 Jan 16, 2008 21:57

captainkona wrote:

I'm trying to use the upgrade option but it won't allow me to do so. Do I need to "upgrade" the database tables? What manner of upgrade?
Will this upgrade cause the loss of old posts?

What do you mean when you say it won't allow you to select the upgrade option? Selecting the upgrade option WILL update your database for you, but since you've already tried upgrading it is possible that the updater (installer when choosing upgrade) can't figure out what to do next.

IF this is the case then we have to start over, which isn't the worst fate in the world, but it'll help a lot to really know where you're at and exactly what's happening. "It won't allow me" could mean the button isn't selectable!

26 Jan 16, 2008 22:06

Thank you, EdB

The GO button works fine. By "won't allow" I mean that when I select the upgrade option and click GO, it returns me to the same page.

The offered options are:

New Install: Install b2evolution database tables with sample data.

Upgrade from a previous version of b2evolution:
Upgrade your b2evolution database tables in order to make them compatible with the current version. WARNING: If you have modified your database, this operation may fail. Make sure you have a backup. NOTE: Your stats will be reset.

Upgrade from Cafelog/b2 v 0.6.x:
Install b2evolution database tables and copy your existing Cafelog/b2 data into them.

When I select "Upgrade from a previous version" it returns me to the same page with "New Install" checked by default.

Will new install erase my database and the old posts?

27 Jan 16, 2008 23:14

If you select "new" AND it works you'll lose everything. Are you certain you've got the correct login info in your conf/_basic_config.php file? Most notably I see where your MySQL Host is "mysql12.powweb.com" but most of the time "localhost" is all you need.

Also when I go back to your /blogs/ home page I get an error telling me "admin4" is not authorized to connect to the database, so perhaps that is the root of all evil?

28 Jan 17, 2008 00:48

EdB....

I used the same info from the old _config file so I'm sure it's correct.

"admin4" is my tech's nick. It should work unless we've been hacked.

I made a backup of the database with the old posts. If I just do a new install, can't I return those posts to the renewed database?

29 Jan 17, 2008 01:03

No. Upgrading alters the database, so unless you know all the details of the changes AND tweak your backup to match you'll have no way of bringing old database content into a new database successfully.

I'd be talking to the host right now about this. I've been playing with this software since dirt was young and I've never heard of or seen the installer/upgrader simply return to itself when trying to upgrade.

Seriously I'd taking a nicely detailed list of steps I've followed to my host and asking them why this thing won't run. PHP or MySQL version? I honestly don't know, but wow this is a first.

Best of luck in your efforts to upgrade! When you get it worked out I'm sure you'll agree it was worth the effort.

30 Jan 17, 2008 01:11

Thanx for the effort. It is mind boggling to say the least.

I'm going to delete the new install and up it again. Maybe that will help.

Thanx to everyone. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.
;)

32 Jan 17, 2008 02:03

Great. It 's even an upgrade in stead of a new install. Way to go. Have fun and happy blogging.

33 Jan 17, 2008 02:10

Afwas wrote:

Great. It 's even an upgrade in stead of a new install. Way to go. Have fun and happy blogging.

Not bad for an old hippie that seldom wraps his head around anything more technical than a big joint and a Hendrix record. :D

Thank you for being there, Afwas. I couldn't have done this without the help of all here.

You're all fine as gold.

Thanx!

34 Jan 17, 2008 03:48

Man, for an old hippie you sure have a long sideblog :)

35 Jan 17, 2008 19:59

John wrote:

Man, for an old hippie you sure have a long sideblog :)

B)

Easily remedied. Linkblog just takes up valuable space.

Here's the finished product with media folder restored.
http://ablogination.tn420.org/blog/

Thank you, John. Your help was essential.

Form is loading...