Recent Topics

1 Jan 19, 2008 05:11    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10

Hi everyone,

I upgraded to 1.10 on Fantastico but it does not appear to offer anymore upgrade links. I downloaded the 2.3 install files to my desktop and took a look at the docs. Before I frack things up by trying to mess with this, I had a couple questions:

1) I use the WPC_default skin on my blog. Will I need to reenter all the entries to my linkblog once I upgrade?

2) Is there a website that offers some newbie friendly insights into doing stuff in PHP. I have managed to putter around a bit with b2evo and coppermine and havent had too too much trouble, but I am really lacking in understanding.

3) Assuming I do go ahead with this, do I simply ftp the files up to my webserver and place in the /blogs folder and then run the install prompt after removing the b2evo install files (from which dir?)

I am willing to mess around with it (I backed up everything), but would like some help so I can minimize the time wasted/destruction caused by me blundering around.

2 Jan 19, 2008 06:08

One bit at a time yah? http://manual.b2evolution.net/Upgrade_from_an_older_version - and absolutely read through both the general and the specific bit for your upgrade. For me I always edit my new conf/_basic_config.php file on my computer to put in the connection info plus a few other lines. I think it's a total of 7 lines. 4 for the database, your email addy, your baseurl, and config_is_done gets set to 1.

Absolutely make sure you have a backup of your database! I like using cpanel's 'backup' feature because it is an easy way to restore the database if things go screwy. Also keep a sharp eye on backing up your media folder. You're the only person in the world who has copies of all your stuff is the thing.

Your skin is bye-bye for a while, but you'll be able to make it come back. Puttering around in the files always gets you what you need to know ;)

Anyway give that page and the page for your upgrade a reading and see if it makes sense. If you're feeling good about it then dive right in! If not pop on over with some questions and we'll take care of you.

Form is loading...