Recent Topics

1 Jan 22, 2008 01:15    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hello! :D

I want to thank you for your software program. FYI: I tried Nucleus and gave up when I couldn’t install their upgrade after several tries, which should have been simple. Anyway, I find your program fairly easy and to make adjustments within the program. It’s taken me several good days to get use to things. Okay, I have many questions that I just couldn’t figure out on my own so I thought that I’d inquire.

1) Blogs :
Is it possible to change spacing in “Categories” between Blog and subdirectories? It seems to take up a lot of space, particularly when setting up multi-blogs with several categories. The bolding and bullet points seem to be fine which is why the extra space should be removed.

2) Bloggers can’t access front end to make posts? Perhaps, I’m a complete dunder head with this issue! :oops: :lol: How do Bloggers begin unless they’re forced to go to the backend? I changed permission for 2 users who will be Privilege Bloggers to level 5; and I have 3 more who will be Basic with level 2. But even at level 2 according to the manual there’s no way to start blogging that I can find. What am I missing? I noticed in Plug-ins that there is a front-end feature, but then there is a warning, suggesting that it isn’t secure. Does that mean even if AutoBlogger is in place the front-end overrides certain security?

Wishlist: If for some reason Bloggers are forced into the backend to make posts, I would like to see some kind of feature limiting where they can browse, more than what AutoBlogger provides (or could be upgraded). There are some Bloggers that I want to have more privileges than others. So if there was a program, I could hide certain tabs in the backend that would be fantastic! For instance, I have 3 people who want to be bloggers that I don’t know very well. I would like for them to have access to: Write, Posts, Files and maybe Settings only for themselves. All other backend features they never see, allowing less temptation. OR, if it’s too much trouble to hide the Tabs, then when a non-Privilege Blogger clicks on certain Tabs they are disabled completely – to the new blogger they are “dead” links.

3) I have two AutoBlogger installs. Should I uninstall one? Received this fatal error. In ALL BLOGS – Posts - Comments:
var edit_link_title = "Edit this post..."; var delete_link_title = "Delete this post"; var deprecate_link_title = "Deprecate this post!"; // var delete_link_title2 = "Delete this comment"; // var edit_link_title2 = "Edit this comment"; // var deprecate_link_title2 = "Deprecate this comment!"; var remove_links_Array = new Array();
Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/thesa12/public_html/b2evolution/blogs/plugins/editpermctrl_plugin/_editpermctrl.plugin.php on line 147

4) While using the Announcement Blog plug-in, posts were accepted in all blogs except for “B”. I can’t figure out why.

5) After a post is written or edited it takes me to a list of blogs. Under Static Files – Gen!, I’m alerted that “Files Can’t Be Written” and check the manual. I did and followed those instructions with changing permissions. What am I doing wrong? Also, in the list Announce Blog and New Blog don’t have Gen! file – what does that mean?

6) On top of each blog is a list of all the blogs. Is there some way to rearrange this?

Whew!!! I’m almost finished with everything and when I’m done, I’ll be happy to showcase what I’ve done. Thanks everyone for your input and guidance! :D

2 Jan 22, 2008 02:44

Hello Tosca!

Welcome to b2evolution! :) I'm pretty new here myself so I'm not going to be a whole lot of help BUT...

#1. I would assume that this issue has to do specifically with the skin that you are currently using. Mess around a little and switch to a new skin and see if the problem is still there.

#3. I would assume that one autoblogger should suffice, having more than one, I would imagine, would create conflict as you've experienced.

#5. From my experience, this is normal. This is what my my b2evo does every time I make a new post.

#6. Yes, I'm positive that there is. Not sure how easy it would be. Would assume it would require moving some code around in your main.php or your custom.css. Not sure exactly how to do it but anything is possible with b2evolution, hahaha!

Anywho, good luck, sorry if I'm not much help! :)

3 Jan 22, 2008 03:54

Tosca wrote:

Version is critical info to answer questions accurately yah? AND a link showing what you're asking about!

Tosca wrote:

1) Blogs :
Is it possible to change spacing in “Categories” between Blog and subdirectories?

As serendi3 said, this sounds like a skin-specific question, but do you mean in the publicly visible side or the admin side of your blog?

Tosca wrote:

Bloggers can’t access front end to make posts?

No one can blog from the "front end" where the front end is the part that the visiting public sees and the back end is the admin area or the part that all "content creation and controlling decisions" are made.

Tosca wrote:

How do Bloggers begin unless they’re forced to go to the backend? I changed permission for 2 users who will be Privilege Bloggers to level 5; and I have 3 more who will be Basic with level 2. But even at level 2 according to the manual there’s no way to start blogging that I can find.

You have to give registered members permission to post before they can post. That permission MIGHT come from being in a group, or it MIGHT be a permissions specifically set for the blogger.

Tosca wrote:

I noticed in Plug-ins that there is a front-end feature, but then there is a warning, suggesting that it isn’t secure. Does that mean even if AutoBlogger is in place the front-end overrides certain security?

You are running before you are walking. Slow down and get to know the application before you go extending it and trying to learn the "plugged up" application!

Tosca wrote:

If for some reason Bloggers are forced into the backend to make posts, I would like to see some kind of feature limiting where they can browse, more than what AutoBlogger provides (or could be upgraded).

Again slow down. Get rid of autoblogger. You don't need it, although it is (was!) an extremely popular plugin.

Tosca wrote:

There are some Bloggers that I want to have more privileges than others. So if there was a program, I could hide certain tabs in the backend that would be fantastic! For instance, I have 3 people who want to be bloggers that I don’t know very well. I would like for them to have access to: Write, Posts, Files and maybe Settings only for themselves.

That's how it works without plugins.

Tosca wrote:

I have two AutoBlogger installs. Should I uninstall one?

The error you mention is not coming from autoblogger. That is coming from editpermcontrol plugin and it is obviously not a correct plugin for the version of b2evolution you are using.

WHEN it's time to extend your blog then you will be hip to how a plugin must be suitable for your version of b2evolution. Not every combination is possible, and many MANY plugins were only good in a few different releases of b2evolution.

Tosca wrote:

While using the Announcement Blog plug-in, posts were accepted in all blogs except for “B”. I can’t figure out why.

See my basic view on plugins when you're not familiar with the program ;) - and by the way what you expect an "announcement" to be?

Tosca wrote:

After a post is written or edited it takes me to a list of blogs. Under Static Files – ...

Static files are a total waste of time until you get slash-dotted and your server is collapsing under the load.

Tosca wrote:

On top of each blog is a list of all the blogs. Is there some way to rearrange this?

Depends on what version you're running.

Tosca wrote:

Whew!!! I’m almost finished with everything and when I’m done, I’ll be happy to showcase what I’ve done. Thanks everyone for your input and guidance! :D

Um... I'd say you've barely gotten started ;)

4 Jan 22, 2008 23:02

Hello Again!

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions.

Tosca wrote:

EdB:
Version is critical info to answer questions accurately yah? AND a link showing what you're asking about!

Sorry about that! I'm using b2evolution-1.10.3-2007-11-01. Here's my link of what I've done so far, customized from using Niffty Corners.
http://www.rhrplus.com/b2evolution/blogs/index.php/all

Tosca wrote:
1) Blogs :
Is it possible to change spacing in “Categories” between Blog and subdirectories?

EdB:
As serendi3 said, this sounds like a skin-specific question, but do you mean in the publicly visible side or the admin side of your blog?

I'm referring to visibility from the public's POV. When multiple blogs get added, the sidebar is getting rather long with categories and I wanted to tighten up some of the spacing.

Me:
How do Bloggers begin unless they’re forced to go to the backend? I changed permission for 2 users who will be Privilege Bloggers to level 5; and I have 3 more who will be Basic with level 2. But even at level 2 according to the manual there’s no way to start blogging that I can find.

EdB:
You have to give registered members permission to post before they can post. That permission MIGHT come from being in a group, or it MIGHT be a permissions specifically set for the blogger.

Yes, I had experimented with this, but writing seems as though it can only be accomplished in the backend.

Tosca wrote:
There are some Bloggers that I want to have more privileges than others. So if there was a program, I could hide certain tabs in the backend that would be fantastic! For instance, I have 3 people who want to be bloggers that I don’t know very well. I would like for them to have access to: Write, Posts, Files and maybe Settings only for themselves.

EdB:
That's how it works without plugins.

Hmmm.... when I gave a Basic user a level 2 for some reason I wasn't allowed to make a post. I changed to permission to level 5 and the backend wasn't accessible which is why I decided to try the AutoBlogger.

Tosca wrote:
While using the Announcement Blog plug-in, posts were accepted in all blogs except for “B”. I can’t figure out why.

EdB:
See my basic view on plugins when you're not familiar with the program Wink - and by the way what you expect an "announcement" to be?

The annoucement feature is exactly what I want! I need the sticky feature that will be permanently across all blogs without moving.

Tosca wrote:
Whew!!! I’m almost finished with everything and when I’m done, I’ll be happy to showcase what I’ve done. Thanks everyone for your input and guidance! Very Happy

EdB:
Um... I'd say you've barely gotten started Wink

That could be true! ;)

Again, thank you for your assistance.

5 Jan 23, 2008 00:37

There is way too much for me to keep track of in this one thread, so first I'll suggest to you that most of your questions have been answered and therefore using the search feature (especially with 'search for all terms' checked) will probably help you much.

On the "category list gets too long with many blog" there are two things you can do to address that. First you can cheat a little in your stylesheet (nifty_corners.css) by adding something like

.bSideItem h4 {
margin-top:4px;
margin-bottom:2px;
}

That all by itself won't get you much. Another thing you can do is open up skins/ ... hmmm. I can't seem to find the file that used to let you not include certain blogs in that sidebar list when you are on blog #1.

So you might want to simply remove the category list from there and use the space for other stuff.

6 Jan 23, 2008 20:47

Hello Again, EdB.

I tried your suggestion and not much happened. If you do come across that file that you mentioned, perhaps it might do the trick.

I still have a question that I can't seem to find the answer for. It was on the Annoucement blog sticky post -- again, it shows up on all other blogs except for "b". Do you have a way to fix it or should "b" be disabled using only "a" and new ones?

Thanks again.

Tosca

7 Jan 23, 2008 22:11

For some reason the Announcement blog is working for "b" now. Strange!

Anyway, have a great day.

Form is loading...