Recent Topics

1 Jan 27, 2008 06:29    

My b2evolution Version: 2.3
I have done a an install-from-scratch of b2evo v2.3rc1 on two different domains, and in both cases immediately after installation there is only Blog A, Blog B and Linkblog on the Dashboard. Yet all the docs talk about Blog All and how one should not delete it ... which leaves the poor user who installed 2.3 all nervous about what they might have "done wrong".

My intention on both domains is to have several blogs but I *do* want them amalgamated on one page (and, contrary to the recommendations of the docs, I *do* want that to be my default page.

Has the Blog All sample blog been removed from the 2.3rc1 installation? If so, how to I create a Blog All type of blog? If not, why would it not be showing up on the Dashboard ...?

:-/

kazar

2 Jan 27, 2008 06:40

If it's not there then there is no need to delete it.

It is there if you install an older version. The All blog is used for an admin to have a one page view of every post in the blog system. It is advised not to use it as frontpage. What you shouldn't do with it is write a post in it.

Nowadays with the 2.x series you can create your own All blog. It no longer needs to be blog #1 and you can select what content you want to aggregate, so no longer "All" is aggregated by default. Go to Blog settings -> Advanced -> Blog aggregation. You can enter other blogs to be shown in your new blog and this way make collections based on topics or authors or what you want.

So all is well with your new blog.

Have fun

3 Jan 27, 2008 11:40

Afwas, thank you so much!!

The Blog All man page wrote:

"Blog All" is a special blog that is designed to show every post that is posted in every single blog on your site. For example, if you have a blog called "Apple" and another separate blog called "Microsoft", the Blog All blog is going to take all the posts from both Apple and Microsoft and display them together." I'm going to think through how this might be revised to make it clear that this is only talking about the Admin UI and not the public UI, and will make suggestions for changes.

Further, because I am using 2.3 which has (or an earlier version since the docs were written has) not only had some of the tab labels changed to new words, but has also been reorganized a bit ... "Blog All" has become "List" and the aggregated posts only show if within Admin one selects the intersection of "List" and "Posts / Comments".

After reading your reply I checked the man again and the blog aggregation feature is in there, but appears under the page "Upgrade from 1.10.x to 2.0.x" which I completely skipped over since I am not upgrading but installed 2.3 as my very first version.

Please note: I am not _complaining_ about the docs, only explaining why I might have asked such a silly question to begin with. I'll contribute some (more) changes to the docs/talk pages straight away.

kazar

Form is loading...