Recent Topics

1 Feb 01, 2008 13:57    

Blog by Email - Does it really work?

I'm a newbie with b2evolution and hope to get 'Blog by Email working' if possible. I installed and am running version b2evo v 2.4.0-rc2. It seems to have this feature built in [Global settings][Features]. Are there any other files that need modified?

I have read: http://manual.b2evolution.net/Email

When I Perform Server Test responce is:

Connecting to pop server...
Logging into pop server...
Getting message #1...
Processing...
Subject prefix does not match.
OK.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: timer_stop() in /home/users/v0860518/public_html/stoptagging/blogs/cron/getmail.php on line 371

2 Feb 01, 2008 14:06

The subject prefix is described in the manual:
Wiki wrote:

Subject must start with [blog:], or any string you set in the config file

Do remember that your post may actually be sent and received, but not yet posted. This can occur if there is a timegap between you and the server. The post should be in the Backoffice/Dashboard. Do check the timestamp.

There was an error in the file. Can't remember, but I'll be able to find it.

Good luck

4 Feb 01, 2008 14:36

A long time ago I set up a b2evolution blog to "blog by email" for total strangers who happened to be able to guess a secret password type of thing. Initially I got confused by how to make it work, but once done it proved to be a great tool for that installation.

Haven't used it in quite some time though. Should check it out again and see what's new yah?

BTW didn't vote because no option for "used to after learning to set it up" ;)

5 Feb 02, 2008 07:18

Are the brackets required? [ ]

Subject must start with [blog:], or any string you set in the config file

6 Feb 02, 2008 07:20

I added that option to the voting poll. If I can get it to work I will make that vote. I may need your help though.
BTW didn't vote because no option for "used to after learning to set it up" ;)[/quote]

7 Feb 02, 2008 07:22

Where do I find the prefix string in the config file and where is that file at? Is the config file the same as admin/dashboard.

8 Feb 02, 2008 07:26

No the brackets are not required. The idea is this: In the settings you determine how a post intended for your blog starts. This can be anything, but you'd want something you understand like 'blog: ' or '[Blog]'. But 'Charcoal' also works ;)
You start the title of your email with the very same quote. That way the blog will know if the email is intended for the blog or not. It will process emails starting with the quote and it will ignore others.

I do think you need to apply the patch mentioned in the other post. Unless some one fixed the errror in the meantime (after B3evo version 2.2).

I do agree with EdB. Once you've done the fixes and the setup, you'll never have to look after it again. It works beautifully. One tip though. You can use your regular emailadress, but if that's the one receiving 100+ spams daily, use another one.

Good luck

9 Feb 02, 2008 07:33

waynewin wrote:

Where do I find the prefix string in the config file and where is that file at? Is the config file the same as admin/dashboard.

You find the settings onder Dashboard -> Global settings -> Blog by email.

http://www.deharmonie.info/images/BlogByEmail.png

10 Feb 02, 2008 22:01

Thank you for your responces. I hope to get it working this day or weeked.

Is below the patch you are refering to? Found in message # [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?p=62364#62364]62364[/url]

Afwas wrote:

I have an update.
I found the solution to the line 335 error in [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=12831&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=post+email]this post[/url]. You need to add:

require_once $inc_path.'items/model/_itemlist.class.php';

after:

require_once $inc_path.'_main.inc.php';

Then there was an error class timer_stop not found in line 374:

timer_stop($output_debugging_info);

but that was only in debug mode and the error disappeared after disabling debug mode.

The post now was correctly received from the server, but I only see it in the backoffice. It doesn't appear in the blog. The post is 'published' and says from itself that it's in the right Category on the right Blog.

[/url][url][url][/url]

12 Feb 03, 2008 12:31

b2evolution version 2.4.0-rc2

ALL EMAIL ARE IMPORTED even if they do not match PREFIX...

It almost all works now I used the fix as stated in message # [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=12831&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=post+email]62364[/url], I set the prefix as noted in Admin options [global settings] [features] subject prefix.

The prefix in the config file makes very little difference. All emails are being imported and posted on the blog also deleted from the mail server. So currently if it's a dedicated email address it's working. PREFIX does nothing unless it is identical that it will strip if from the subject line otherwise it will leave it and post to the blog.

My getmail.php looks like this now based on the Blog by email fix message # [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=12831&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=post+email]62364[/url]

if( !$Settings->get('eblog_enabled') )

After this fix mentions an error in line 374. My error appears in line 373.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: timer_stop() in cron/getmail.php on line 373

Previous post state getmail.php is in the /htsrv folder, it's in the /cron folder. ie. /cron/getmail.php using version 2.4.0-rc2

I was hoping that this would be an automatic feature blogging by email. It appears that I either have to manually run blog by email using the Perform Server Test in the Admin area or ask my webserver host if they will allow me to run Cron-jobs in my CPanel area.

Executing /cron/getmail.php from a browser window I receive message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in inc/_core/_param.funcs.php on line 1617

If you try to attach an image it respones 'Wrong login or password' also displays the error 373... I know it does not do photos, I had to try.

13 Feb 03, 2008 13:44

I was doing pretty well until I hit another error that may not be related to this.

Some observations:
- The file is in /cron/ (it was in another folder some month ago)
- It can and should skip emails without the prefix. I got so far it did skip an email without the prefix.
- You do need to set up a cron job. Blueyed made this addition to the Wiki: http://manual.b2evolution.net/Set_up_a_cpanel_cron_job
- Even if you would get a picture though, it wouldn't know what to do with it.

I come back to this topic as soon as I find out more. Do keep on trying, it will work eventually. It always did. B)

Good luck[/quote]

14 Feb 03, 2008 14:45

My Blog wrote:

Connecting to pop server...
Logging into pop server...
Getting message #1...
Processing...
Too old
Getting message #2...
Processing...
Too old
Getting message #3...
Processing...
Too old
Getting message #4...
Processing...

Subject: [blog:] test 1

Content-type: text/plain, boundary:

Raw content:
This is test 1 with [blog:] in the subject of the email. --F

Login: This is test 1 with [blog, Pass: ] in the subject of the email.

Wrong login or password.
Getting message #5...
Processing...
Subject prefix does not match.
Getting message #6...
Processing...
OK.

All messages are correct. Posts 1-3 are old, post 4 is before I realized I had to add the username / password combination :roll: , post five was a deliberate error (no [blog:] in the subject) and post six made it to the blog.
It's even better than a few month ago, because it now looks for the local time and not the server time. The message was posted immediate after receiving and not nine hours later.

http://www.blog.hemminga.net/B2evoforum/BlogByEmail2.png

So this is a confirmation that it works as soon as you have set it up correctly. All I did is apply both patches as proposed in the other post.
But do share your findings. We will sort this out.

Good luck

16 Feb 03, 2008 15:45

(Add the second line)

(comment or delete this line)

Good luck

17 Mar 23, 2008 17:22

Afwas wrote:

(Add the second line)

(comment or delete this line)

Good luck

Hello! Afwas
Everything works well, but only the post is published if I use the option test in ' Perform Server Test'.
Using the cron job in the server I have not been lucky ..

The used instruction is this:

/usr/bin/php-f/home/account/public_html/cron/getmail.php

Thank you Afwas

Form is loading...