Recent Topics

1 Mar 27, 2008 18:21    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.x

Hi all,

Is there a way to add an attachment to a post and be able to track how many times it was downloaded?

This would be a very useful feature for me and I wanted to know if it is already available in the current build.

2 Mar 27, 2008 18:30

Funny you should mention this... No, there is no "track downloads" feature in any version of b2evolution, but I am currently hacking a click tracker to be a download counter within b2evo. It'll be for v2.4.*+ when it happens though. 1.* is not a place I play anymore.

You can check out http://futilitysoft.com/page/other-scripts/task/click-counter if you want to see what I've modified and am continuing to modify for use in b2evolution. Modifications aside, it works straight out of the box so it's pretty cool. I suggest installing it in it's own folder but you don't have to. It'll make for horribly long URLs for your links, but your visitors won't notice. Oh except for people who like to right-click and save-as - they won't get the file but they'll figure that out and just plain old click.

3 Mar 27, 2008 18:33

EdB,

Thank you for the response and info. I selected 2.x when I created the post and I don't know how the output came with 1.x.

I am running v.2.4.x

So is this hack available now you say?

Please advise.

4 Mar 27, 2008 18:44

Not really. I mean, it works and all but it takes a LOT of hacking to make it be what it should be. For example I've got it using shorter URLs - an undocumented hack. My copy is tracking all hits instead of rolling them up as # of downloads by filename, which means the admin side of the original package is useless. I hacked the database table it makes to do that. Oh and I had to hack the installer because for some reason it thought you could not have an _ in a MySQL database table name. Duh...

Anyway given a wee bit of time I figure it can be a combination hack+plugin so that you are seeing the rollup in your back office. Dunno how much time though. Are you patient or totally into hacking hacks immediately?

5 Mar 27, 2008 18:48

EdB,

I'm the patient type, not into hacking.

I commend your efforts and will wait for you to figure this out and release it as a plugin or something.

6 Apr 05, 2009 13:39

Specifically, about inline attachments.

On 3.10-beta, there is an "Attachments" area on the editing a post page. It's not working as yet, but it would be great feature to have. I could use the ability to post an inline attachment, such as an HTML file. I don't know what it will support or how it will work.

Here is the documentation on it.

http://manual.b2evolution.net/Post_attachments_fieldset

Form is loading...