Recent Topics

1 Apr 06, 2008 21:24    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

The day before yesterday I received 370 of those spam messages that I had to delete one by one. Since I activated the central antispam list I assumed this cannot happen again, but I got 485 today.

Does anybody know any way to stop that to happen? I'm really nervous about that.

Does anybody know any way to delete all of them massively, and not one by one?

PLEASE, HELP!

2 Apr 07, 2008 00:44

The central antispam list thing is always activated so I don't understand what you mean by that, but don't just delete: use the ban symbol to (a) delete the offending spam and (b) delete all comments and hits that match what you just deleted and (c) add the offending URL to your antispam database table and (d) report it to the antispam central system.

And do a bit of human factoring to make sure you are banning the most effective URL. For example spam from

buy-pills.spammer.com and
buy-more-pills.spammer.com and
pills-for-sale.spammer.com

will all be blocked by adding .spammer.com to your antispam central list.

3 Apr 07, 2008 02:32

Thanks, EdB.

I meant that despite the antispam black list was activated since last Friday, I got those 485 spammers' comments today.

There are no more than different texts in all those "comments", and no offensive or suspicious word in those texts. Problem is in the URL included with them. I' ll resolve my problem if being able to block any comment with an URL included.

I think I understand points a, b, and c, but I still have to figure out how to report an URL to the antispam central system, something I'll be more than happy to do.

4 Apr 07, 2008 05:55

DONE, EdB!

About 500 comments already deleted and a dozen of URLs in the central black list.

Thank a lot.

I still believe it'd be very useful to have a way to block any comment with an URL in it.

5 Apr 07, 2008 15:34

Hi CMPadron

You can try installing the 'turing tester' plugin, which is made by EdB. This will only allow humans to enter a comment etc. as it asks a simple question that you can set.

Get it at
http://wonderwinds.com/hackblog.php/2007/12/27/turing-test-plugin-updated-for-v220#more845

On stopping post with website etc. - I have a mod I made to phpBB which stops posts being sent with website and email links

If the 'turing' plugin doesn't do the trick I'll sent the mod I made

All the best

amoun

6 Apr 07, 2008 15:42

Thanks a lot, Amoun. I'll try.

7 Apr 07, 2008 21:33

CMPadron wrote:

Thanks a lot, Amoun. I'll try.

What you mention could work for me but without using e-mail addresses as an argument to block the comment. It happens that 90% of comment my blog receives came from people who have no a website and then they don't put an URL in ther comments, but they put an e-mail address. So, I ehink that best solution for me is something that blobk any comment with an URL on it.

8 Apr 08, 2008 16:35

CMPadron wrote:

I still believe it'd be very useful to have a way to block any comment with an URL in it.

You can do that detail with the "basic antispam plugin" that ships with b2evolution by setting the karma value to ... whatever it takes to mark it as spam if there is more than zero URLs in it. At least, I *think* the "basic antispam plugin" will allow for that.

I do agree with amoun though: my TuringTest plugin basically completely kills comment spam. So effectively that I have enabled links IN my comments and provided a toolbar to add links. I've gotten comment spam, but it is clearly written by a person trying to push a silly domain (selling bathroom fixtures) by writing a comment that seems related to the post. For that one I used good old fashioned "antispam central" to block the silly domain.

OT: I really need to upgrade that plugin soon. It should have the option of being blog-specific for the challenge and answer is what I'm thinking it needs. For those who might be blogging in multiple languages or on very diverse topics is why.

9 Apr 09, 2008 18:20

I discovered that "Basic antispam plug-in" yesterday but couldn’t figure out how it works or what a Spam Karma value is.

However, if you think it should be good for my case, I'll continue looking for info about both.

10 Apr 09, 2008 18:29

The majority of spam is automated, I'd install EdB's turing test plugin and the grass will be greener ;)

¥

11 Apr 09, 2008 22:19

You're right. At least, ALL the spam I've received in my blog so far is automatic; have always arrived in numbers over 200, all at the same time.

I must say that among the different b2evolution anti-spam plug-ins I’ve read about, the TURING TEST made by EdB seems to be the best suited for the kind of readers I have.

However, since I’m not a technical guide —my blog was installed and customized by someone else who is no longer available— I’m afraid of putting my blog out of order while installing that plug-in. To face that task I’ll need for sure kind of detailed foolproof installation guide, incluiding what to do in case I have to uninstall the plug-in to put my back in operation again or for any other reason.

Do you know of any guide like this I can get?

12 Apr 09, 2008 22:35

Download plugin to your computer. Unzip plugin on your computer. Upload plugin to plugins folder on your server. Go to your blog's plugins page. Install plugin. Shouldn't take more than half a month, and probably will be less than half a minute.

By the way make sure you find the plugin for v1.* of b2evolution because plugins changed the v2.* generation.

OOPS! I don't have it on my web anymore, so to use it for v1.* installations (which means yours) you'll have to hope someone has it and sends you the zip. I'll look to see if I have it but I won't know if it's the real deal or not because I have no way to test anything other than the latest version.

13 Apr 09, 2008 23:44

Thanks, EdB. Hope someone have the right version and is disposed to share it with me.

One more question: Can I still install the your Turing if I have installed the "Basic anti-spam plug-in"?

14 Apr 09, 2008 23:54

Sorry friend, but I don't think any of my plugins will actually work in 1.* anymore. Basically the thing is that I don't really track and store each version of whatever I've done. It either works in the version I'm using (and in general in the generation I'm using) or it's gone.

Having said that, assuming you find the correct version of TuringTest then you should have absolutely no conflict with BasicAntispam. I've only had a conflict problem once with my plugins, but not with TuringTest. I'm sure there are combinations of plugins that will conflict with TT but I dunno what they would be and would be amazed if TT and BA can't get along happily ever after.

Lemme see if I can find that old thing ...

Okay this might work, but I don't know how old old is. Or maybe it'll be my naked ascii girl 404 page? http://wonderwinds.com/media/blogs/hackblog/turingtest_plugin_OLD.zip

15 Apr 10, 2008 01:16

Hi CMPadron

Is your version really as stated at the top of the post. I ask because when I selected the 2.x option on a new post it showed the 1.10.x

Ed Yeap! Nude girl is what I get. 88|

Amoun

17 Apr 10, 2008 01:39

CMPadron wrote:

Does anybody know any way to stop that to happen? I'm really nervous about that.

PLEASE, HELP!

Disable trackback !

Trackback is a mechanism invented by spammers to better automate the way they spam websites. (I just made this up, but you get the idea!)

If you want to keep trackback, protect it with a captcha pulgin or something.

18 Apr 10, 2008 01:49

Ain't she sweet? :D

I updated the link. Frequently when I type one out I leave a bit off here and there. The media path is, in my extremely biased opinion, entirely too long so I easily and frequently forget bits and pieces of it. Anyway it'll work till I get bored of supported v1.* and delete that old plugin.

PS: see the www link under CMPadron's posts and you'll see a v1.10.something blog.

Oh and yeah disable trackbacks. Silly stuff draws spammers like moths to a flame. TuringTest will do NOTHING to protect your trackbacks if you want them, so for sure use Captcha INSTEAD OF TuringTest to protect everything.

TT without trackbacks, C with trackbacks. Done.

19 Apr 10, 2008 01:53

amoun wrote:

Hi CMPadron and Ed

Does this help?

Nah. That old thread is for v0.obsolete stuff. Anyone running something that old deserves spam :>

For TuringTest to protect against comment spam and message form abuse in v1.* use the link in the thread. For v2.* use the plugin from my web.

If you want trackbacks enabled don't waste your time with TuringTest and go straight to Captcha.

20 Apr 10, 2008 02:19

You have good sense of humor, EdB, :D and that's good. Thanks once more.

To begin with, I'll install the "Basic anti-spam plug-in" right now,... while awaiting for somenone who still have the old TT version.

21 Apr 10, 2008 02:23

And note the Basic anti spam plugin doesn't help against trackback spam.

23 Apr 10, 2008 02:36

CMPadron wrote:

To begin with, I'll install the "Basic anti-spam plug-in" right now,... while awaiting for somenone who still have the old TT version.

http://wonderwinds.com/media/blogs/hackblog/turingtest_plugin_OLD.zip is now the old one but will one day be my 404 honey. Grab it while it's still there, because by tomorrow it'll be eye candy again ;)

24 Apr 10, 2008 02:37

Go find the trackback antispam plugin in the repositories. Also: The Captcha plugin is able to hide the trackback address, which by itself will reduce Trackback spam by 99.99%.

Good luck

25 Oct 28, 2008 22:38

Does anyone have the link to the 1.x version? I'm apparently late to the party.

Thanks

EdB wrote:

CMPadron wrote:

http://wonderwinds.com/media/blogs/hackblog/turingtest_plugin_OLD.zip is now the old one but will one day be my 404 honey. Grab it while it's still there, because by tomorrow it'll be eye candy again ;)

Form is loading...