Recent Topics

1 Apr 16, 2008 20:47    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hello:

The first upgrade that I did from 1.0x to 2.4.0 was a breeze (the blog had just started so it wasn't a biggie). When I did the upgrade from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1, I had a noticed some things and don't know if anyone else had encountered them. Backups were done, as usual (thankfully). The upgrade was a hassle. :( I had to have the host (a new one) assist me on several occasions.

1. When it came time to use the installer, it wouldn't allow me. I contacted the host to see if they could help me out. They told me that the permissions had to be reset again.

2. The media folder had to be reinstalled twice. The first time, all of the blogs with jpgs in them didn't show up. Within b2 Admin/Files -- no jpgs were loaded either. This was rather curious, because I went to a different software program to look at the media folder under each blogger. All the jpgs were where they should be. I left things as they were until the next day because I was tired. Yesterday, when I looked in the media files to work on the situation, there were no jpgs! The host helped with installing the media copy again. This time the jpgs showed up in all the blogs.

3. The More Tags (coloring fonts within a blog) doesn't work. The Plug-in is available and the posts still have the tags in them. Not sure what to do here.

4. In my Admin Panel I decided that I may want to use a different skin other than Chicago. When I changed the Admin skin, I got a complete blank page with text and links. I tried another, same thing. I finally logged out to see if this would do the trick. I was able to change the skin, but to Evo.... wasn't sure if I wanted this and change it back to Chicago. Blank page, text and link again. Got feed up and quit. Today, cleared the browser cache, logged in just fine and the skin Chicago was able to work.

I'm hoping that I don't run into anymore problems with this version. We've been told that the upgrade is stable. Is it?

Tosca

2 Apr 16, 2008 22:44

UPDATE :(

I was in Admin (using Chicago) layout. I clicked on to a tab and BINGO, blank page again with text, links, etc.

• admin
o User profile (admin)
o ________________________________________
o Admin skin: chicago
o Admin skin: legacy
o Admin skin: evo
o Logout
• 02:34 pm
• Blog
• Logout
• b2evolution
o Home
o Dashboard
o Create new blog
o About this system
o Antispam blacklist
o Open b2evolution.net
o Open Support forums
o Open Online manual
• Dashboard
• See
• Write
• Manage
• Upload
• Customize

I removed my hyperlinks for posting this.... also the rest of the page shows more of what would normally be in the Dashboard, but in text form. :'(

This is not good!

3 Apr 16, 2008 22:50

Re unstyled admin pages... what browser are you using?

4 Apr 16, 2008 22:52

Firefox -- been using it for a long time with no problems.

5 Apr 16, 2008 23:00

Just asked as the latest 3 beta version didn't recognise styles for the admin.

Have tried to re upload the skins_admin files

6 Apr 16, 2008 23:04

No, I haven't reloaded anything else other than the media. I shouldn't have to if it is "stable". What's the point in the update if I have to continually upload everything.

The More Tags I reloaded 2xs and it doesn't work either. Not too happy right now.

7 Apr 17, 2008 00:12

A blank page normally indicates a memory problem ... take a meander through conf/_advanced.php to see how you can (normally) increase that ;)

¥

8 Apr 17, 2008 01:59

Couple of thoughts here that probably won't help much. I'm using "more tags" on 3 different 241 installations without issue, so I know that plugin works in 241, so I'm thinking "something with your server?".

"Blank with text" isn't really blank right? Sounds like, as John hit on, you've got no style sheet when that happens. It seems like you can repeat the problem, so perhaps you can try a CTRL+F5 to force a reload of the page and see if it properly reads the style sheet? Dunno if that will help or not but it is an easy way to get some new info about the problem.

What permissions did you have to reset to be able to upgrade? In fact, why did you even bother when it wasn't required when going from 240 to 241 per http://b2evolution.net/news/2008/03/17/b2evo-2-4-1-nevada-released-stable ? It should have been a simple matter of uploading the files over your existing files and that's it. In truth of the hundreds and hundreds of files that actually "changed" MOST of them were changed in ways that did not alter the file functions - not that this matters when we don't have an "upgrade only" option. My point is that so little actually changed that associating all your problems with the version doesn't seem logical.

I notice you mention a new host. I wonder if you've moved to a host that is actually more the problem than the new version? For example if the servers are slow or crappy then maybe you're getting a style-free admin page because the server isn't serving up the new style sheet?

9 Apr 18, 2008 00:26

Hi YABBA!

The memory has been set to 32M and is still at that; unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the problem. :( Good thought, though! :)

Hiya EdB!

I too had thought that there could be a problem with the server. As far as I know, they have good servers and the BEST 24/7 customer service that I've ever experienced. No kidding! UnitedHosting.com. If there were server problems I would image that there would be other problems with folks too??? I haven't seen anything on their forum about server problems and this is where they keep us informed.

I don't know exactly what kind of permissions were reset. I agree, this should've been simple and nothing needed to be done. Let me contact them and find out exactly what they had experienced on their end. I'll also check with one of our regular bloggers to see if they notice anything on their end. Please give me a few days.

Many thanks.

10 Apr 18, 2008 00:35

It's ¥åßßå ffs ... sort yer head out :|

... does your memory increases show if you run a phpinfo() after trying it?

<?php
ini_set( 'memory_limit', '32M' );
phpinfo();
?>

¥

11 Apr 18, 2008 01:42

Hi ¥åßßå!

It's ¥åßßå ffs ... sort yer head out

Oh! :lol: Thanks for the correction.

As for the increase, it has been this way since I loaded the program before the update. I did check to see if it was changed and there hasn't been any. It is also in the .htaccess doc too. According to the blog system, the memory is running at 32 M.

I also got an update notice from Firefox.... so maybe this might do the trick? Maybe it could be a browser thing that John & EdB have suggested.

I'll still find out from the host what permissions were done and get back to everyone.

12 Apr 18, 2008 02:19

EdB

Couple of thoughts here that probably won't help much. I'm using "more tags" on 3 different 241 installations without issue, so I know that plugin works in 241, so I'm thinking "something with your server?".

Still unsure.... the plugin is available and loaded. The problem is that those nice features aren't available to use to write a post with. As I mentioned before, the codes are still in the old posts, but no color.

A mystery, indeed.

13 Apr 18, 2008 06:11

Got link to a post with the tags that isn't rendering?

MoreTags, and especially the color buttons, does nothing more than put a span around whatever text you selected. It should show in your "view source" and if it's in your view source then the browser should render it.

OTOH someone left a comment on my blog saying they weren't getting colors but I never heard back from them. So maybe there is something funky going on out there? Gotta see it though, so share a link and tell us what should be colored - please.

14 Apr 18, 2008 22:01

Hi EdB:

Here's a link -- you'll note that the words look bolded in the post.

http://www.rhrplus.com/b2evolution/blogs/index.php?blog=5&title=i-decided-to-try-another-herbal-parasite&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

One thing that I noticed is that in the browser to view the page.... the tags don't show up around the words 'Humaworm' or 'zapper', etc. However, in the actual document that she posted those tags do exists:

<strong><span class="MT_violet">Humaworm</span></strong>

and

<span class="MT_red"><strong>zapper </strong></span>

Aside from that, why wouldn't the widget program show up in the editor?

15 Apr 18, 2008 23:34

I had another blogger poke around and they didn't have any problems with the Dashboard scripting. It could be the browser. [**Additional edit: just updated browser -- no further scripting problems, thus far.**]

As for the Permission issue here's what the host told me:

"I had to set folder permissions to 755 and file permissions to 644 as it is the default and secure permissions in ensim high security mode (chrooted environment). As I had set it for the entire folder and files under your blog directory, I couldn't specify exactly a file or folder was in wrong permission."

I had asked about uploading the files being a problem with a possible permission change.

"yes, there has a chance of permission change of some files when you had uploaded it. As I could see lots of "premature end of scripts" errors in the apache error log, I assumed any of the file permission might have been changed. So I had reset the correct permissions for the entire directory and the files though I am not sure about how could have the file permission been changed."

I asked about a possible server problem.

"No there has no chance of a bug or virus in the server as it is very clear that it was just a permission issue."

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Tosca

16 Apr 19, 2008 00:40

Tosca wrote:

Hi EdB:

Here's a link -- you'll note that the words look bolded in the post.

One thing that I noticed is that in the browser to view the page.... the tags don't show up around the words 'Humaworm' or 'zapper', etc. However, in the actual document that she posted those tags do exists:

The text you quoted shows up EXACTLY like that when I view your page source. It does not render properly because there is a line missing from your skin, but I can't tell you which file because I am not familiar with your skin. Basically though it is obvious that you are missing the line that pulls in javascripts and css from plugins. It should be in your _html_header.inc.php file assuming your skin has that, but in truth it could be any name imaginable. For sure it will be the file that produces the <head> section of your web pages though. Oh and this is the line you are missing:

<?php include_headlines() /* Add javascript and css files included by plugins and skin */ ?>

Tosca wrote:

Aside from that, why wouldn't the widget program show up in the editor?

Huh? Sorry, but I'm confused by what you mean here. Are you saying you do not see the toolbar in your back office when you write a post? If so the only thing I can think of is that you are using the "simple" mode tab. It only shows up when you use the "expert" mode, but something is making me think that this is the wrong direction and will not help you.

17 Apr 19, 2008 00:48

Tosca wrote:

I had another blogger poke around and they didn't have any problems with the Dashboard scripting. It could be the browser. [**Additional edit: just updated browser -- no further scripting problems, thus far.**]

As for the Permission issue here's what the host told me:

... snipped for smallness ...

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Tosca

Well I'm not sure. Go to your Tools->System subtab and see what it says for "PHP running as USER" and "PHP running as GROUP". That should tell you something but I'm not sure what. IF you do not see your domain account login there then you will have to change file attributes (chmod yah?) on your media/ and media/blogs/ and media/users/ folder to something other than 755. I used to have mine at 777 then I changed them to 775 and found that it worked for me - but I also recently found malicious files in every sub-folder in my media folder.

My host changed something from *whatever it was* to mod_suphp and now I don't have to chmod anything to use the file manager. I therefore suggest you talk to your host again and ask them if they have suphp on board. If not you will have to change file attributes on those three folders (and only on those three folders) OR find another host who will work with you better OR give up on the benefits of file manager and use FTP to get images to your media folders.

By the way when talking to your host mention clearly that you are using a blog application with a built in file manager that needs to be able to create directories, upload files, and create files. They will then answer with strange sounding terms that make no sense to a normal human, but hopefully in the end the problems will be resolved.

18 Apr 19, 2008 01:10

Hi EdB

Huh? Sorry, but I'm confused by what you mean here. Are you saying you do not see the toolbar in your back office when you write a post? If so the only thing I can think of is that you are using the "simple" mode tab. It only shows up when you use the "expert" mode, but something is making me think that this is the wrong direction and will not help you.

That would be correct! Sorry but it doesn't show up in "expert" mode -- why would I bother to bring it up if I hadn't checked?

Another thing is that there is something wrong with the program. After installing the new browser. The style sheet did the white page thing again with only text. I noticed within the Dashboard I hit my Home/ALL blogs -- I believe that this happened before when I hit that particular one, but can't be certain. This could be a good clue. I reloaded the skin admin folder, so I'll see what happens.

The blog skin is Evocamp with slight changes. Where in the doc should I place that code... anywhere? Shouldn't it be already in the file as a standard code?

"PHP running as USER" - (uid 745)
"PHP running as GROUP" - (gid 745)

My files are at 775.

19 Apr 19, 2008 01:29

Tosca wrote:

Hi EdB

That would be correct! Sorry but it doesn't show up in "expert" mode -- why would I bother to bring it up if I hadn't checked?

Scuse me for trying to clarify, but perhaps you brought it up because you didn't check?

Tosca wrote:

Another thing is that there is something wrong with the program. After installing the new browser. The style sheet did the white page thing again with only text. I noticed within the Dashboard I hit my Home/ALL blogs -- I believe that this happened before when I hit that particular one, but can't be certain. This could be a good clue. I reloaded the skin admin folder, so I'll see what happens.

What browser are you now running? IT needs to get the style sheet to associate with the page you are viewing, and if it doesn't due to either the server not providing it or the internet connection being slow to the point where the browser gives up waiting then you will get an unstyled page.

Tosca wrote:

The blog skin is Evocamp with slight changes. Where in the doc should I place that code... anywhere? Shouldn't it be already in the file as a standard code?

One would think so yah? By the way it seems I was on the wrong track there. You are getting the style sheet from the code_highlight_plugin so the hook for that feature is there. You are not getting the style sheet for the moretags_plugin so obviously something else is wrong. I have no idea what, but am beginning to suspect you have a bonked up file somewhere that is causing "odd" bugs to happen.

The only way to prove or disprove if files are somehow corrupted that I know of is to (a) get a brand new copy of the version you are running and (b) delete the files from your server and (c) unzip the new package on your computer and (d) upload the new files to your server. Do be careful of your media/ folder and your conf/_basic_config.php file as you - of course - need them for your blog to be your blog. I would start with the "inc" folder because that's pretty much the driver for everything else.

Tosca wrote:

"PHP running as USER" - (uid 745)
"PHP running as GROUP" - (gid 745)

My files are at 775.

Okay so that means your host does not have mod_suphp for you, and therefore you will have to change file attributes on the three FOLDERS I mentioned earlier. Not files: you do not have to change file attributes on any file for the file manager to work; just the media/ folder and the two folders inside it.

Anyway I'm really starting to think you have bonked up files somewhere. I would, if I were you, also suspect that maybe my method of uploading files is possibly part of the problem and choose a different method just to be sure that if it is the problem then it is removed from the picture.

20 Apr 19, 2008 01:59

Hi EdB

Thanks for getting back with me on everything. You could be right. Let me try your suggestion tomorrow.... getting a bit tired with things.

The browser is Firefox and I've never had a problem with it before; with the new update today there shouldn't be a problem. I do think you could be on track with a corrupt file somewhere.

Thanks again. Later!

21 Apr 19, 2008 02:00

Hey I just thought of something: if you don't have the moretags toolbar and you don't have the moretags style sheet it sort of sounds like you don't have the moretags plugin - but you do. Uninstall it then re-install it and let's see if that helps.

22 Apr 20, 2008 02:13

Hi EdB:

Quick note.... I did delete and reinstalled the Moretags. Nada. It is in the plug-ins page. Next to the plug-in name is a large bullet -- it is unfilled [O] -- unlike the other plug-ins that do work. The others that are unfilled are Generic Pings and Test; I'm assuming these don't work either.

I haven't reinstalled the program, because the last one was not a great experience, but I need to do this.... so let me try tomorrow.

Later.

23 Apr 20, 2008 02:22

meander into /conf/_advanced.php and increase your memory limit by removing the // before a line that reads summat like "//ini_set('memory_limit', '32M' );" and see if that works wonders

If not then you'll need to wait until the amazing EdB has finished playing with farm animals and cures your problems with a wave of his magic wand ( public service announcement : the waving of his wand may be restricted by county court judgements in some areas, if you live in one of these areas please don't expect him to wave his wand during daylight hours or when there are witnesses present )

¥

24 Apr 21, 2008 00:34

Hello:

meander into /conf/_advanced.php and increase your memory limit by removing the // before a line that reads summat like "//ini_set('memory_limit', '32M' );" and see if that works wonders

That was taken care when I first installed the software awhile back, and I made sure that it was taken care when the update occurred. Unfortunately, this isn't the problem. It would be nice if it was!

25 Apr 24, 2008 21:11

Hello Everyone: :D

An update on my situation --

I took EdB's suggestion and got a new copy of b2. On the server, I didn't delete any files. Instead, I reloaded the Conf and Plugin files. The MoreTags needed to be enabled manually and I did this. The COLOR is back in the Write panel and in the blogs! I also haven't had any problems with the style sheet.

For now, everything seems to be running okay.

Thanks ALL for your input and suggestions. :D

Tosca

26 Apr 25, 2008 00:47

Tosca wrote:

... The COLOR is back ...

Hooray!!!

Form is loading...