Recent Topics

1 May 01, 2008 04:45    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

I originally had an older version of b2 installed through fantastico but decided to upgrade to the latest b2. I essentially did a new install since there was nothing on the blog as it was new anyways. The install went relatively smoothly and correctly. The domain read the front end as well as the back, admin end. In the meantime, I changed the file permissions as suggested in the instructions. Subsequently, I got a server error for both the front and back ends. The error is:
--------------------------
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@savethelegs.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.41 Server at savethelegs.com Port 80
-------------------------

I submitted a request to my web host but wanted to get suggestions from the forum here. I'm new to b2 and anything like this in general so I don't have any experience w/ html, web servers, etc other than the basics.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2 May 01, 2008 05:08

jack376 wrote:

... In the meantime, I changed the file permissions as suggested in the instructions. Subsequently, I got a server error for both the front and back ends. The error is:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well step one would be to change the file permissions back to what they started. Ideally one by one to see which particular one is causing the problem. By the way this is something the host can induce by something they get to set. So like the host decides "if the customer changes file permissions to whatever we better kill it for security reasons". Sorry for not having more info on that angle but I'm not a "knows about servers" type of guy.

Anyway set the file permissions back and get your blog running again. Especially the ones that only needed to be changed briefly like conf/_basic_config.php for example. And whatever root directory you may have changed to enable writing stub files from inside b2evolution. Finally of course is the media folder and it's two subfolders. Once you know exactly which file permission changed the ability to see your blog you will be able to both talk to your host about the issue and therefore make an appropriate decision going forward.

3 May 01, 2008 15:18

Thanks EdB!

You were right on. The hosting company (webhostingpad.com) fixed the problem and wrote this:
-------------
You need to have the correct permission for public_html (755). Please check your domains now and let me know if you need any further assistance.
-------------

I'm not sure I even messed w/ that file since, because of my lack of experience, only did what the instruction told me to, I never changed it.

Also, this may be an experience others have experienced if you're running another website (non b2 site) under a subdomain. For some reason, after installing b2, it messes w/ the .htacess file. It gives it this code:
-------------
<IfModule mod_dir.c>
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm
</IfModule>
-------------
which makes that particular subdomain not read the index.htm file.

Of course, the hosting company fixed that for me. By the way, I will be writing a review about webhostingpad. I've been very impressed w/ their support, especially for a novice like me.

Thanks.

4 May 01, 2008 16:02

jack376 wrote:

Thanks EdB!

You were right on. The hosting company (webhostingpad.com) fixed the problem and wrote this:
-------------
You need to have the correct permission for public_html (755). Please check your domains now and let me know if you need any further assistance.
-------------

I'm not sure I even messed w/ that file since, because of my lack of experience, only did what the instruction told me to, I never changed it.

You're very welcome! I think the instructions somewhere talk about changing permissions on the root installation folder if you want to have it write stub files, which for some would be the root of the domain name. Could that be it? Like: you changed your root to 777 due to that is where the stub files would go?

jack376 wrote:

Also, this may be an experience others have experienced if you're running another website (non b2 site) under a subdomain. For some reason, after installing b2, it messes w/ the .htacess file. It gives it this code:
-------------
<IfModule mod_dir.c>
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm
</IfModule>
-------------

Something is odd there. b2evolution ships with a file that contains that information, but it is called "sample.htaccess" and is never changed by b2evolution. I think the instructions (again: somewhere) talk about renaming it to .htaccess if you have this or that different problems but to be honest I haven't really read the instructions in a couple of years. So pretty much anything I know about that stuff is way out of date ;) But actually I'm certain b2evolution doesn't change that file name because - as you experienced - it can do terrible things to someone's web space setup.

Anyway hey the bottom line is you're up and running so HOORAY!

Form is loading...