Recent Topics

1 May 01, 2008 23:11    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

Hi all,

All day this person has been on my blogs posting all kinds of garbage. It's the same user over and over from a single IP addy.

How can I ban that IP addy?

I am upgrading to the Palms 2.4.2 release as I type this.

Please advise.

2 May 01, 2008 23:34

To ban an ip adress you must use a .htaccess file, then add those lines:

<Limit GET>
order allow,deny
allow from all
deny from ip_address_to_ban
</Limit>

3 May 01, 2008 23:36

Hi Slamp.

Thank you for the response and info.

Where should I out the file?

4 May 01, 2008 23:49

Wouldn't it be a nice feature within the Blog to just ban the bloody IP right then and there?

I mean, it records all the actions and user information so why not add the IP as a part of the ban feature.

That makes more sense to me than having to create an outside file for it. Not only that, think of those who don't have access to their hosting server to create such a file at that level.

Can we please have that feature added to the code, please?

5 May 02, 2008 00:16

If it gets added - IF it gets added it really needs to be something each blogger can ignore. IP addresses do not mean one person or one domain is why. There is a blog that used to show up in the recently posted list that I can never see because my IP address is blocked by a spam blocker they use. No way around it, so whatever they have to say is lost on me. And spammers fake IP addresses, so what you would be doing is very possibly banning a large group of people based on the actions of someone who might not even be in that group.

By the way your host *probably* has a method to easily ban IP addresses that will build and edit your .htaccess file for you. All hosts I've ever used had it via cpanel so I therefore assume most hosts do is what I mean.

EDIT: not that it wouldn't be useful. It's just that it needs to be a lot more carefully implemented than just "ban this one". One should know to the best of one's ability what part of the physical world they are banning before deciding to ban yah?

EDIT 2: no scratch that. b2evolution should NOT own the .htaccess file unless it can do so knowing full well it will not interfere with or over-ride host driven content in that file. Hosts use .htaccess for lots of features and stuff that I would be quite pissed to see broken because a blogger decided to click on something. Very tricky ground to play in given the scope of ramifications.

6 May 04, 2008 19:50

It is one of the things I miss, having upgraded from my 0.9.2 to 2.4.2....I used to have the antispam_byip hack.

Also used to have other antispam hacks that are kind of missed....but don't feel like reimplementing them, since it was the hacks to the core that held me back from upgrading from 0.9.2 for so long.

The Dreamer.

Form is loading...