Recent Topics

1 May 13, 2008 21:30    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

For the past 2 years a buddy of mine has been hosting my site for me. Sadly I didnt have Mysql access or anything other than basic FTP access.

Never had any issues with it till today their Mysql server just stops.

I havent talked to him in three months, and cant seem to reach him. The Mysql database part of my blog is gone, however, I did manage to ftp off all the rest of the blog files.

Is there any point in keeping them? or are they completely useless with out the Mysql database?

2 May 13, 2008 21:51

AFAIK, not much unfortunately :-/ , you have lost all your content for good, you can benefit them if you can bear creating you content once again, and b2evo is not a gb's of software, i see no harm keeping it too

3 May 13, 2008 23:57

Is there a guide on how to transfer the blog from one server to the next?

I may be able to recover the database, and just want to know how Id move from one host to another (already moved, just curious about the mysql database and the blog files)

4 May 14, 2008 00:08

Pyrostasis wrote:

Is there a guide on how to transfer the blog from one server to the next?

I may be able to recover the database, and just want to know how Id move from one host to another (already moved, just curious about the mysql database and the blog files)

the basic procedure is simple :

[u]backup your sql & backup your ftp files [all of them] [/u]

once you are sure you have uncorrupted, decent backups of both your files and your database (sql), just;

Upload all your files to your new ftp server
Go to your phpMyAdmin or Cpanel or whatever it is,
Create a new database with the old database name
Click on that created database, hit sql tab copy + paste your sql (make sure you have used a decent text editor, just in case...)
Hit go and that's it..

i never needed further changes, but you might need to change your baseurl in your _basic.config

5 May 14, 2008 00:19

pyrostais -

It's key to get a mysql dump (backup) of your database "DB". The DB holds all your posts, comments and back-office settings (as well as a bunch of other things).

You haven't said if you've customized your skin.

Moving a site is fairly straight-forward:

(1) Back up you DB at your current host (will likely result in a local file in gunzipped format). Easiest way is to use phpMyAdmin and "export" the DB, remembering to check "Add Drop Table" and "Add if Not Exists", which will help when your move it. Click the save as file & turn on the gzipped radio button. Make sure all tables are selected and then let it rip. (To reduce size, you can clean out - delete the contents - of the hitlog table, which is often the largest).

(2) At your new host, make a new DB of the same name, with the same user/password as the old one (if you can't make it the same, you'll need to edit the /conf/basic_config.php file, to supply the new DB variables).

(3) If you have a customized skin, FTP down the files in the /skins/yourskin directory

(4) Upload the same version of b2evolution that you WERE running, on your new server (go to b2evo site and download the ZIP for your version, explode it locally, then FTP the /blogs directory contents to your new server.

(5) Upload your custom skin to the new server.

(6) Run through the b2evo install or just modify the /conf/basic_config.php file to make certain that b2evo is trying to access the correct database.

(7) Oh ... images/media (almost forgot, becuse I do ours outside of b2evo). You'll want to copy down the /media folder from your old host, which has all the images and other media from your old blog. (Then upload it to the same folder on the new server).

(8) IF you have a domain name and separate domain hosting, you'll need to point your nameservers to the new host, so yourdomain.com will resolve to the right server, when you type it into a browser.

I think that's it. It's key to get a GOOD CLEAN DB Backup, though, to start (I've had problems getting a complete DB dump out of phpMyAdmin sometimes. Best check is after you restore it, check to make sure all the tables and # of records per table match the old DB ) . You might have to export a couple of times, to get a full-backup.

Hope this helps.

Good luck :D

6 May 14, 2008 00:42

Thanks much guys

Form is loading...