Recent Topics

1 Jun 05, 2008 22:45    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I would like to know if there is a way for me to create a skin that has an automatic filter. Or even use and '?disp=' method to envoke a filter. I just can't figure out how the blogging software does its filters without pushing them through the title. I really would like for a frequently visited section of my blog to just be its own page that way i can put a link as:

http://myblog.com/index.php?disp=editorpicks

the only problem that i face is that editors picks are in more than one category and going back and changing all of them over to its own category is just a very hard task, and i also don't want it to be its own category. I want users to see the rest of things the blog has to offer too.

Please help if you know what i'm talking about or have an idea that i might be able to try!

thanks!

~Mochababy

2 Jun 06, 2008 04:06

* My post stack is now theoretically a mile high. woot!

So yeah this is no problem and can be handled in several different ways. To use a disp=foo method you have to create the page that foo will use. That is covered somewhere in the forums but I don't have a link handy at the moment. Search for "custom disp page" and see if that helps. So anyway yeah you can make disp=editorpicks filter to whatever you want it to be as long as there is something unique about posts that would qualify it for this filter.

I suggest adding a post type "editorpick" so that when you want to mark one as that you edit it and simply change the post type. You would then make your editorpicks file/page use the post type when building it's "MainList" array. After that it's a normal page that only shows that particular post type. BTW the post type thing will let you sort by number so for example your 'editorpicks' post type will probably be post_type 5001. You can search the forums for "custom post type" to find a few different ways that field has been successfully used.

3 Jun 06, 2008 04:14

EdB wrote:

* My post stack is now theoretically a mile high. woot!

So yeah this is no problem and can be handled in several different ways. To use a disp=foo method you have to create the page that foo will use. That is covered somewhere in the forums but I don't have a link handy at the moment. Search for "custom disp page" and see if that helps. So anyway yeah you can make disp=editorpicks filter to whatever you want it to be as long as there is something unique about posts that would qualify it for this filter.

I suggest adding a post type "editorpick" so that when you want to mark one as that you edit it and simply change the post type. You would then make your editorpicks file/page use the post type when building it's "MainList" array. After that it's a normal page that only shows that particular post type. BTW the post type thing will let you sort by number so for example your 'editorpicks' post type will probably be post_type 5001. You can search the forums for "custom post type" to find a few different ways that field has been successfully used.

I get what you are saying with the making it a different post type but i already have at least 100 posts that have similar titles, in fact they all start with Editor Pick in the title. That's why i wanted to use a filter to only show posts that have "Editor Pick" in the title. The problem that i'm having is that i don't know how to arrange this with the framework. I'm a little stupid when it comes to things like this...i don't know why. Do you mind holding my hand through this?

So i created the custom disp=editor page. and my skin recognizes it when i type it into the browser.

how do i construct the filter within that _editor.disp.php page? where do i go now? What do i even write?

it just baffles me, and i don't know here to find the possible filter options because the search widget is no help.

4 Jun 06, 2008 04:21

Post types are different than the title. When writing/editing a blog entry you can click on advanced and in the upper right there is a dropdown for blog post types. The defaults are something like Post, and Page or something like that. It would be a way you could select the posts/entries that you want to view.

It would require modifying your skin pages to select the right types of posts, but look into the post type a bit more.

5 Jun 06, 2008 04:27

IanLewis wrote:

Post types are different than the title. When writing/editing a blog entry you can click on advanced and in the upper right there is a dropdown for blog post types. The defaults are something like Post, and Page or something like that. It would be a way you could select the posts/entries that you want to view.

It would require modifying your skin pages to select the right types of posts, but look into the post type a bit more.

well that's another complication i don't want to quite deal with now so that's why i thought it would be best to just use a filter.

Do you by any chance know how to use a filter using a "?disp=editor" method?

Form is loading...