Recent Topics

1 Jun 16, 2008 16:08    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Is b2evolution really suit for hosting a large community of blogs ? Can we have thousands of blogs (each blog with a different user) ?
At present I use bloghoster , which is now nearly a dead product, and I'd perhaps move to b2evolution. I have 6000 blogs with 6000 users.
What is your experience of b2evolution with a large community of blogs ? Is it useful to manage ? Are software and database architectes well done for this use ?

2 Jun 16, 2008 21:08

Interesting project ;-)
b2evolution is multiblog sure. I think you will have to design your own architecture, for example by setting http server and mysql server on differents machines.
What's the audience (hits) per day for all thoses blogs ?

3 Jun 17, 2008 14:15

it is about 30.000 pages view per day.
Why do you say we might have to set an http server and a mysql server ?

4 Jun 17, 2008 17:04

b2evolution and the bloghoster thing you mentioned are quite different by design. Specifically, b2evolution expects that the admin will take care of blog creation and assigning permissions to bloggers. Looks like bloghoster is designed to automatically create a blog per blogger with (probably) no other levels of interaction?

As to scalability, biggest I recall ever seeing was a Japanese installation that claimed over 1000 distinct blogs and bloggers. b2evolution "claims" scalability is limited by the underlying code (php and mysql), which is I'm pretty sure what slamp was hinting at. Like, splitting the burden between servers ... or something like that. I'm not clear on the smart server-side stuff.

Scalability internal to b2evolution is basically unlimited though. The problems you'll eventually find will be in things like managing all the blogs/bloggers and all the various cross-related permission settings. Many, and probably most, pages that list those bits have gotten pagination but I reckon sooner or later you'll find a page that is trying to list over 1000 somethings - which would be a bit cumbersome eh?

6 Jun 17, 2008 17:27

the idea is to add a software level that automatically generate user and his blog parameters when the user subscribe.
As I test it I see that admin seems no to be made for thousands of blogs. For example it list all the blogs of all the users in the horizontal menu. The normal user saw also all the blogs !

7 Jun 17, 2008 19:16

Try upgrading to 2.4.2. More than 5 blogs are shown in a dropdown. The users are only shown blogs that they have access to, so as admin you'll see all, as joe blogs you'll only see 1 or 2 ... or however many joe has access to.

¥

Form is loading...