Recent Topics

1 Jul 25, 2008 21:42    

My b2evolution Version: 2.4.2

I can't figure out how a visitor would CLOSE the comment area once it is opened, except by clicking on the blog title in the header (and WHY would anybody who hadn't been sitting here all morning trying to make their blog work think to do THAT?)

Seems reasonable to expect a visitor who might want to view comments on a post to want to close them again. Sending a comment returns you to the same open-comments page. NOT sending a post of course does nothing.

I've tried this with several different skins and with some other people's blogs, so it is not just my modifications. For example, on http://fplanque.net/Blog/softculture/, aka fplanque:offtopic, once you elect to view the comments, if you want to close them you have to go to another post, click the title as it appears in the sidebar, or click something in the heading that is unclear whether you are navigating away or not.

Is there a way to put a link "close comments" up around where the "view comments" link had been? (Seems so simple, so logical....)

2 Jul 25, 2008 23:23

The way it works is that you don't see the comments on multipost pages, but do see them when you are on a single post page. Depending on the skin (and a few other conditions), you will be able to get to a single post page by (a) clicking the post title or (b) clicking the permalink icon if present or (c) clicking the "view comments" link if present. A and B are actually taking you to the same place - the full post with comments attached. C takes you to the end of the post (or the beginning of the comments), but it is still a single post page and therefore has the comments open.

I believe a long time ago someone really smart hacked up "single post without comments and a link to open the comments and another link to close them", but yeah it was quite some time ago.

Personally I don't see the value in it. Could you explain what you see as logical and valuable in such a thing?

3 Jul 26, 2008 01:10

OK, so as I now understand it, I am asking for a way to return from the single post page to the multipost page.

Your (a), (b), and (c) describe ways to get from multipost to single post.

Seems like a visitor might not want to just be stranded on the single post page. Why would they? Boring enough to just navigate away after a while...

And the only way I've found to return to the multipost page is to click the blogs title, which reloads the multipost page. There's always the rest of my blog, or the rest of my site, or the rest of the internet to navigate to. But suppose they were on that multipost page because they had wanted to to be there--they wanted to see what's new since last week, or had called up that multipost page by clicking on a category or on a tagcloud tag. Maybe the very next posting had already caught their eye, before they clicked view comments. Seems unreasonable to to expect them to navigate away to re-create that.

The visitor could always use the browser back button--but where I come from, having no other recourse is seen as a sign of poorly-written software. And--more importantly--I'm writing to a couple of population segments that are not particularly web-savvy. Who, if they entered a dead-end street, would try to back out the same way they came in.

Form is loading...