Recent Topics

1 Aug 13, 2008 08:07    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Well, after nearly 4 years of using b2evolution I am on the brink of ditching the software. The reason? B2evolution keeps crashing the entire server.

Well, not b2evolution itself ofcourse, but referer spammers that acces the page multiple times a second, causing a mysql request buildup that will make my entire machine (dedicated 2gb 1.4Mhz dual core) crash in a matter of minutes.

I tried everything. Finetuning apache and mysql, extra caching of pages, upgrading to latest versions, looking into the mysql-queries, yelling.

Fact is, b2evo probably is not up to the task of hosting my blog anymore. It now contains a whopping 65.000 articles, and served nearly 2 million pages.

My last question: Am I better off migrating the blog to Wordpress (which will be a hell of a job) or am I missing out on something very, very important?

Bottom line, last day I had to reboot my server 4 times, and I've had enough :-(

2 Aug 13, 2008 10:03

- Do you use Antispam plugin, there is an option to block referrer spam?
- Do you ever optimize or empty hitlog, sessions and basedomains tables?

If any of your blogs generates 40-50% of total system traffic you can split the database and move high-traffic blog to another b2evo install

Another solution is get a better server.

3 Aug 13, 2008 10:05

Also how much of your main page really needs to be dynamically generated. Here's a hint: how often do you change your linkblog? Perhaps other items in your sidebar are reasonably close to static that it might make more sense to do them in html instead of querying your database?

You're asking the wrong forum for info about wordpress though. Better to ask there if converting will improve your situation or not eh?

Heck maybe it's time to pay for something that can handle the load. I mean, I have no idea what that might be but I play in some forums that are paid software packages instead of open source stuff, so I reckon someone is making money by selling a blog app that can handle multi-blog multi-author multi-lingual situations.

4 Aug 13, 2008 10:38

Thanks for your replies!

- Do you use Antispam plugin, there is an option to block referrer spam?
- Do you ever optimize or empty hitlog, sessions and basedomains tables?

No and yes. I will look into the first, but it depends how the system blocks referer spam if this will be effective.
I have set the hitlog to only keep a 4 day history. In what way would emptying the sessions and basedomains-table help? They are not the bottleneck queries...

-If any of your blogs generates 40-50% of total system traffic you can split the database and move high-traffic blog to another b2evo install

No, there are no high traffic posts

- Another solution is get a better server.

Better than a dedicated dual core with 2gb? :-)

- Also how much of your main page really needs to be dynamically generated. Here's a hint: how often do you change your linkblog?

Most of the site that is static (like links, categories etc) are also static html. The linkblog is changed around 2-4 times per day, the newsblog 2-4 times per hour. There are some additional low-traffic pages that come from the db, but they should pose no threat to the server...

btw, the site is http://www.geencommentaar.nl

5 Aug 13, 2008 17:34

Update: I do not have the option to give a 403 to referer spammers

6 Aug 13, 2008 17:48

Spuyt12 wrote:

Update: I do not have the option to give a 403 to referer spammers

Install the plugin and check the Global settings -> Antispam page, it should be there.

You can also customize the 403 template in skins/_403_referer_spam.main.php

7 Aug 13, 2008 20:35

Seems like you're getting good advice so far. How many transactions/day to you get?

Do you have access to the Apache server? If you do you could tune it to retain more data in memory. 2GB is not that much memory anymore.
But as usual it "depends".

Do the referrer spams come from multiple addresses? Or just one? You could block the IP.

9 Aug 16, 2008 18:38

Thanks afwas, I will keep that one in mind. One question about the antispam plugin, however.

How does it identify refererspam? I added a routine to the 403 page that sends me a mail every time that the page is shown, but so far it hasn't send me one :-)

10 Sep 01, 2008 21:27

Well, my server keeps crashing, and the anti-spam page has never been used.

So, could someone please answer me question as posted above? How does the plugin identify referer spam?

The situation is sort of desperate. I do not have time to migrate to another blog engine, so I am stuck :-(

12 Sep 02, 2008 10:56

Personally I detect spam referrers with a few keywords and a regex ... all this is done *before* the evo core kicks in, if they're a spammer they get told where to shove their shit in a < 1Kb page.

¥

Form is loading...