Recent Topics

1 Sep 11, 2008 11:29    

My b2evolution Version: Version 2.4.2 that I am using

HI Everyone,

I have been thru the forum here and for the life of me I can Not
seem to find this issue covered or I am missing it??

This is the issue I am having, I have created seperate Blogs
with each there own topic themes right,

but when I create a post that is to go to say the business blog only
it will appear there just fine and also
will appear in my other topic blog say example Asthma blog
so when you click on the Asthma Blog you see the post for the
bussiness blog as well and I dont want it to appear that way

so if who ever reads this could please be so kind as to put it
in newbie steps for me to follow and correct it I really am
going crazy here trying to sort it out this end for over 4 hrs now
without any luck.

so I hope I explained it well enough
and this is where I am having the troubles with, How can I get the post
that is suppose to be for only that specific blog stay there and not
appear in the other blog as well at the same time please?

Here is the link to the site:

http://www.lewisbloggingnetwork.com/articles

I also wanted to have the blog appear when you type in the
main site of lewisbloggingnetwork.com but again for the life
of me I can Not seem to get it to show up that way so any help
there also would be so very much appreciated.

To further try to explain this issue:

As you will see when you go to the site: if you hit the asthma blog link
you will first see the business post there which should not be there
as that post should only be showing up under the business blog,

also when you click the business tab blog you will see the asthma
post there as a welcome post which again should not be there as
that post should only be showing up under the asthma blog and
no where else , does this all make sense as it sure even sounds
confusing to me as i am writting it here? But I again sure do hope
that some one here can explain to me how I can get it all sorted
so the post's will only appear for those individual blogs themselves

thanks to all who can help me out here as to what I am missing
to get it corrected soon

libby

2 Sep 11, 2008 12:08

Hi Libby. All this sounds really easy so let's start with the easiest because it will have to come before all the other easy stuff. So like there is a hierarchy to easyness ;)

Making your blog appear at http://www.lewisbloggingnetwork.com/ instead of http://www.lewisbloggingnetwork.com/articles/ is simply a matter of having it installed at your server root level instead of your server/articles/ level. In other words use your favorite FTP program (or the tool provided by your host) and examine the path to b2evolution's "inc" folder. I'll bet Afwas's spare kidney that it is something like "/whatever/articles/inc/". What you want is for that to be "/whatever/inc/". To do that you will have to move EVERYTHING in the 'articles' folder UP one level on your server.

Unfortunately that will mean the few images you have in the few posts you have other than the default stuff will have to be edited. Fortunately your blog is new so it won't take complicated stuff via phpmyadmin. All you have to do is edit posts that have image and remove "articles/" from the URL.

Oh and you will have to change your ?path/conf/_basic_config.php file to also remove the "articles/" bit in the $baseurl field.

Hopefully this much makes sense and works. After that we'll get you going on your other issues.

EDIT: this is post number 5555. Hooray for me?

3 Sep 11, 2008 16:06

HI EdB.

first off congrat on your 5555 Post , that showes you care alot about this forum and helping others :)

Now onto this first easy quest, or as it should be lol

I have 3 domain names right and they are all hosted on one hosting account , and as far as what I have been told they all share the same public HTML folder if that makes sense thus far. so forgive me here for really sounding dumb, but I use the cpanel and when I look into the domain name for the blogging network domain name yes there is one folder there called articles and all the B2evo stuff is in that one completed folder. so how in the world can I move that up one level to my root as you called it as from what I see here it is already at the root, I think?

This is what I see in the cpanel:
public_html/lewisbloggingnetwork.com/

and when I am in this section then the folder: articles with all the b2evo stuff is here as well as a cgi-bin folder and nothing else

And when I type in the domain name: http://www.lewisbloggingnetwork.com I then see the 2 folders that I am explaining to you here as well? Hope this makes sense ? So what can I do to fix that do ya think? Is it possiable or doable?

See I had originally installed all the B2evo stuff at my other domain name and that was called articles, but again it showed there as the main domain name/articles, so what I did so as not to mess up the database etc for the b2 evo stuff was that I copied that exact folder over to my new domain name lewisblogging network, but again is showed as domain name/ articles there as well

I even tried to install a fresh b2 evo into this new domain name first off and again it put as domain name/b2evo so that was when I deleted that installed version and went the 2nd route above and moved the first installed b2evo articles folder over to the 2nd domain name but I didnt move it I just copied it over there so I still also have that articles folder in the 1st domain as well for the time being sort of as my backup if you will in case I do something wrong here.

so if you could give me baby steps to first off move that complete folder up one level thru the cpanel then we can hopefully move onto the next step of that config stuff you said I have to edit, as well as the URL issue I saw that in the b2evo dashboard side but did not add any URLS for those posts didn't fully understand that part of it yet, those images there are both adsense adds and amazon adds that I put in the posts via the plugins when I did those posts so should'nt they be alright even when I move this up one level with out having to edit them as I did not use URLs there I dont think?

Sorry so many questions for what seems like a simple task but as I said this is all new to me so baby steps is the way I am approaching this so as not to mess up what I have achieved thus far?

thank you so very much for taking the time to help me with this and I bet you'll be way over 5555 posts when I am finished understanding it all :)

thank you and I will await your next reply to this post to proceed with these issues at hand.

Libby

4 Sep 11, 2008 17:50

HI,

this is a add on to the last post as I can not seem to edit it forgive me but I needed to add this onto this.

I took a stab at trying to move the files one by one over to the root of the domain name: go here to see what I mean: http://www.lewisbloggingnetwork.com

well it all seems to have moved I copied the files one by one all 39 of them I did NOT move them??? SO could that be the problem maybe? again guessing on this part

but as you can now see it looks like all the skins disappeared on me, also I can now NOT log into the admin section as none of these links log in

soooo, I put back the articles folder into this main domain name part, and got into the admin via: http://www.lewisbloggingnetwork.com/ articles.

and so once into the admin side via the old way that I had it

I then tried to put all the blogs as absolute URLS under the section of blog settings thinking that maybe the skins would sort them selves out, but they DID NOT sooooo..... how in the world can I get the skins to reappear and thus also keep the b2evo stuff now at the root domain name like you had suggested for me EDB???

I even repaired the database and checked the database but still no luck on this part, I do so hope I am explaining this all well enough so that you experts here at this stuff can please please help me to get it all sorted, I no it sounds so easy and yet me here am having a very very hard time with it :(

hope to here back soon on this

thanks so much to help me get it sorted

Libby

5 Sep 11, 2008 19:12

Personally I hate using cpanel for file management. It is really REALLY not friendly. But you seem to be making progress so all is well I guess. You might want to consider changing gears a little bit and downloading Filezilla which is a free open source FTP program. With it you will be able to upload and download files with ease. So like you could have simply selected the previously existing "articles" folder and downloaded it, then uploaded it to the root level. But anyway...

So having multiple domain names in one hosting account is usually refered to as having addon domains. I do it and it makes the structure a bit funny. Like, only the primary domain name is actually in the root level on your server. For me that is my wonderwinds.com domain name. All others have a "root" that is actually a folder in my wonderwinds root. Kinda confusing, but the server handles all the stuff to make seconddomain.com act like it is at the root level.

Now let's fix a skin problem. When I do a "view source" on your web I see a space between your domain name and the trailing slash. In other words I am seeing

lewisbloggingnetwork.com /skins/nifty_corners/

but think it should be

lewisbloggingnetwork.com/skins/nifty_corners/

Using the few remaining powers in my drug and booze addled brain I think that would be an error (extra space) in your /conf/_basic_config.php file. So give that a shot.

And slow down a bit! Let's focus on one thing at a time because really that's all I can handle without getting confused. Like, when I have to scroll I forget what just went off the top of the page and end up wondering what everything is all about before focusing intently on where my belly button used to be and lamenting the loss of self when it got sewed shut.

;)

6 Sep 11, 2008 19:45

Libby wrote:

I have 3 domain names right and they are all hosted on one hosting account , and as far as what I have been told they all share the same public HTML folder if that makes sense thus far. so forgive me here for really sounding dumb, but I use the cpanel and when I look into the domain name for the blogging network domain name yes there is one folder there called articles and all the B2evo stuff is in that one completed folder. so how in the world can I move that up one level to my root as you called it as from what I see here it is already at the root, I think?

This is what I see in the cpanel:
public_html/lewisbloggingnetwork.com/

Okay so that's the addon domain stuff. For me I have three domains on one hosting account. All my stuff for wonderwinds.com is like this:

public_html/stuff_goes_here

All my stuff for seconddomain.com is like this:

public_html/seconddomain/stuff_goes_here

Thirddomain.com kinda matches seconddomain.com:

public_html/thirddomain/stuff_goes_here

The server takes care of making sure visitors don't see the seconddomain and thirddomain folders - it makes it look like each of them is "root".

Back to the skins thing: I'm pretty sure you will find the extra space in your public_html/conf/_basic_config.php file but of course can't tell for sure. Oh and you mentioned how you got in to your admin using the path with /articles/ in it. That is because cpanel actually copied the files for you, so you are now able to access the same database from two different paths. Eventually you will want to delete out the "articles" folder, but do make sure you know your password first because the cookie that remembers you actually remembers "you with articles in the path".

7 Sep 11, 2008 23:32

One more since I have some time...

The title of this thread asks "How Can I get the Post to appear only for that specific Blog". That should be fairly straightforward. In fact I am a bit surprised you are having aggregation happen automagically.

Basically it works like this: if you want posts from blogs 3 and 7 and 8 and 12 to all show up on blog 3 then you tell it to do that with a setting in your back office. The thing is though that it doesn't automagically do that for you: you have to set it up. Way back in the old days blog #1 always aggregated posts from all other blogs. Many people wanted to stop that, so finally with the v2 generation b2evolution stopped automatic aggregation.

So I am surprised you have posts showing up on a different blog. Anyway you should go to Blog settings -> pick a blog -> advanced and make sure that the field for "Blogs to aggregate" is empty.

8 Sep 11, 2008 23:49

HI EdB,

thank you so much for the baby easy steps, I did as you suggested
and went back into that public_html/conf/_basic_config.php file
and moved the simple little / over and yes the skins all came back
phew:)

I then went ahead and deleted the articles folder, and yes I did
write down my password and log in stuff to get me back into the
admin side first off:) So I am now able to see the skins and
also get into the admin side thru the main domain name.

I do have filezilla here, but again that software does not seem to
play to well for me here, see I click on say a folder from my
pc side, and I then have to drag it over to the server side
but never can tell for sure if all gets uploaded or not. I use
to use another FTP client that would allow me to just click on
one folder and a arrow would point toward the server side of
my hosting to get it to upload and then I was able to see that
it did get uploaded but again FileZilla does not seem to have that
here for me to see so I am always guessing and end back up
in the cpanel to see if all went in the right way.

But your right there I hate Cpanel as well when it comes to moving
and uploading stuff ect so maybe , just maybe if you can
explain to me how to get the filezilla to work then I would much
preferr that method as well for upload and download stuff please?

And yes how your 3 domains are set up that is how my side
appears the same here in my HTML side, As I have the 2 other
domain names as ADD ON Domains to my main domain name
so I have 3 domain names hosted under 1 account here, glad
someone else out there understands this as most think I am
nutz when I try to explain it.

I can see each of my seperate Domain names thru my Cpanel
I guess what I did when I moved the articles folder over to the
2nd domain name I clicked on the folder side for that 2nd domain
name instead of just clicking on the domain name itself when I
copied the folder over there,

I caught that error when I was copying the articles files and
folders 1 by 1 the 2nd time around and clicked the domain
name itself that time to get the files and folders into the main domain
name. Also I went ahead and and put all the URLS sections
back under the blog settings section back to:
Explicit param on index.php instead of Absolute URL

as I had mentioned that I thought that was why the skins
disappeared on me before, so when that was NOT the case
again thank you so very much just thus far for
that little step there saved me
smoking another pack of cigs trying to sort that out.

So now that we seem to have the b2 evo files in the root of the
domain part sorted, can you please please be so kind as to help
me next with the other issues I first stated?

About making the posts for each blog stay only in there own blog
and not get shown in all the blogs?

Oops you must have been posting this answer to me as I was
writting this post here:) THANK YOU SOO MUCH that worked
I did put all the blogs ID into that Blogs to aggregate section
I did that awhile ago as I thought all the Blog IDs needed
to be there to show up see you taught me again something
very simple to work out and I spent 4 hours on that bugger lol

But I do have a few other issues that again I so can use your help
with if you can further assist me with these. please?

(1) The FileZilla issue I mentioned above

(2) the php.ini file seems to show some security issues :
I go to tools on my dashboard and then hit system
and there it says alot of security php issues:

like :PHP register_globals is set to on and it should be set to Off
PHP allow_url_fopen it should be off
PHP Magic Quotes is on and it should be off
post_max_size should be larger than upload_max_filesize

Now I did try to go in again to that file and checked all of these
edited them and then saved the file again thru that Cpanel but when
I go back to the B2evo side and hit refresh they all still show
up as not being fixed?

(3) This is also in the same section as the errors above are these are
the messages for this part below:

* The blog's media directory «media/blogs/Loans/» could not
be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does
not exist. Help
* The blog's media directory «media/blogs/Asthma/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does
not exist. Help.
So once again I thank you for all the time and help you have given
me thus far with yes you where right easy easy to do things:)

You had also mentioned this part to do:

"Unfortunately that will mean the few images you have in the
few posts you have other than the default stuff will have
to be edited.
Fortunately your blog is new so it won't take complicated stuff
via phpmyadmin.
All you have to do is edit posts that have image and remove "articles/" from the URL."
I need this part better explained on once again how to do it
without breaking something else as I have the tendency
to do naturally sometimes LOL

I again thank you for taking the time out to explain all of these
steps to me in an easy to understand and follow along step type
and I will await your next reply and next steps to follow thru
with to achieve this, I really do enjoy working with the B2 evo blogging
software as it seems much easier to work thru and faster then
wordpress by a long shot and yes I have used wordpress as well
lol

Libby

9 Sep 12, 2008 00:19

In FileZilla, right click a file or folder and your first option will be to upload it. So that is fairly simple, and the only bit I will discuss here about using or enhancing something that isn't b2evolution. We could use the chat forum to chat about stuff, but in the support forum I'll stay on supporting b2evolution. Makes sense?

My previous reply should address the "it shows up in multiple blogs" issue, but also we can look a different way which looking at the ...

hmmm.......

Seems perhaps you've got it under control due to having just looked at all your blogs and not seeing any duplicated posts. One thing I was thinking of was how some of the default posts that show up when you install this software exist "cross blog" even though the option is disabled upon installation. Anyway it looks like you got it resolved so I'll wait to hear from you again if there is still an issue. If so please share links that show the duplicated post.

10 Sep 12, 2008 00:20

Libby wrote:

HI EdB,

thank you so much for the baby easy steps, I did as you suggested
and went back into that public_html/conf/_basic_config.php file
and moved the simple little / over and yes the skins all came back
phew:)

I then went ahead and deleted the articles folder, and yes I did
write down my password and log in stuff to get me back into the
admin side first off:) So I am now able to see the skins and
also get into the admin side thru the main domain name.

I do have filezilla here, but again that software does not seem to
play to well for me here, see I click on say a folder from my
pc side, and I then have to drag it over to the server side
but never can tell for sure if all gets uploaded or not. I use
to use another FTP client that would allow me to just click on
one folder and a arrow would point toward the server side of
my hosting to get it to upload and then I was able to see that
it did get uploaded but again FileZilla does not seem to have that
here for me to see so I am always guessing and end back up
in the cpanel to see if all went in the right way.

But your right there I hate Cpanel as well when it comes to moveing
and uploading stuff ect so maybe , just maybe if you can
explain to me how to get the filezilla to work then I would much
preferr that method as well for upload and download stuff please?

And yes how your 3 domains are set up that is how my side
appears the same here in my HTML side, As I have the 2 other
domain names as ADD ON Domains to my main domain name
so I have 3 domain names hosted under 1 account here, glad
someone else out there understands this as most think I am
nutz when I try to explain it.

I can see each of my seperate Domain names thru my Cpanel
I guess what I did when I moved the articles folder over to the
2nd domain name I clicked on the folder side for that 2nd domain
name instead of just clicking on the domain name itself when I
copied the folder over there,

I caught that error when I was copying the articles files and
folders 1 by 1 the 2nd time around and clicked the domain
name itself that time to get the files and folders into the main domain
name. Also I went ahead and and put all the URLS sections
back under the blog settings section back to:
Explicit param on index.php instead of Absolute URL

as I had mentioned that I thought that was why the skins
disappeared on me before, so when that was NOT the case
again thank you so very much just thus far for
that little step there saved me
smoking another pack of cigs trying to sort that out.

So now that we seem to have the b2 evo files in the root of the
domain part sorted, can you please please be so kind as to help
me next with the other issues I first stated?

About making the posts for each blog stay only in there own blog
and not get shown in all the blogs?

And that welcome post as well that was suppose to be only the
welcome post for the Asthma Blog but again as you will see
it also shows up on the business Blog as well.

You had also mentioned this part to do:

"Unfortunately that will mean the few images you have in the
few posts you have other than the default stuff will have
to be edited.
Fortunately your blog is new so it won't take complicated stuff
via phpmyadmin.
All you have to do is edit posts that have image and remove "articles/" from the URL."
I need this part better explained on once again how to do it without breaking something else as I have the tendency
to do naturally sometimes LOL

I again thank you for taking the time out to explain all of these
steps to me in an easy to understand and follow along step type
and I will await your next reply and next steps to follow thru
with to achieve this

Libby

wow you really have style dont you.. this is one of the most interesting post style i ve met recently.. cant wait till the end of the line eh.. it's obvious you like poetry i believe :P, FYI the longer the post is the less it attracts me to read :d

11 Sep 12, 2008 00:36

Hello tilqicom,

First off sorry I don't really get into poetry for the most part.

The reason I did my post the way that I did, although I should not
have to explain myself but I will, is due to I don't have a wide screen
monitor here and when I previewed my post it always went
way over and I would have to scroll over to read it all so thought
others here might have to do the same.
And I wanted to give as much details as I could to get this all
sorted for me.

Sorry that I wrote it to long for your liking I did Not mean to offend anyone here,
I think this is a wonderful and very helpful forum and
EdB has gone way over and beyond to help me get it all
sorted and working thus far with his steps.
take care
Libby

12 Sep 12, 2008 00:57

HI EdB,

Well we seem to be crossing paths lol, yes I saw your post on how
to fix the double post issue and went straight away and fixed it
per your instructions, and so that is why you saw it fixed
when you went to go check on it again this time
all thanks to you my fellow friend for giving me those yes you
said it at the start very easy to do steps:)

And thank you as well for the filezilla tip that in itself gets that
one sorted for me, learned something new again thanks to you
and yes I can understand keeping it to the
support topic at hand for this forum thread makes perfect sense.

"cross blog" ??? I did not even know about this one yet, still learning
the basics for setting up all the different blogs and making sure
all the other issues I posted can hopefully get sorted as well.

So again if your still here EdB and have some more time to spare
with all the other questions or issues I posted in the post above
I once again would appreciate some more help with fixing those
security issues at hand??

I no I took up so much of your time already bet you'll need another
drink when you finish with this thread lol, But I so do appreiciate
all the help you have given me thus far to get me sorted to
a working blog or blogs so to speak.

talk soon
and there is a chat forum here hmmm have to go check that one
out as well:)

Libby

13 Sep 12, 2008 01:03

Libby wrote:

Hello tilqicom,

First off sorry I don't really get into poetry for the most part.

The reason I did my post the way that I did, although I should not
have to explain myself but I will, is due to I don't have a wide screen
monitor here and when I previewed my post it always went
way over and I would have to scroll over to read it all so thought
others here might have to do the same.
And I wanted to give as much details as I could to get this all
sorted for me.

Sorry that I wrote it to long for your liking I did Not mean to offend anyone here,
I think this is a wonderful and very helpful forum and
EdB has gone way over and beyond to help me get it all
sorted and working thus far with his steps.
take care
Libby

ahh you got it all wrong ma'am(probably)/sirs, i wasnt being sarcastic by any means, just was kidding around.. yeah u didnt need to make an explanation where i didnt ask for one already, thanks for it though (: yea ppl are kind here.. maybe you wont believe but i am too (a lil :roll: :P) i am just too tired.. have a good day/night, good luck

14 Sep 12, 2008 01:32

Actually this crap where you either use an external editor or force line breaks resulting in a thread that is overly long is total crap. Use the damned features in here so it looks reasonably okay to all users! I've edited 2 of your posts to remove the forced line breaks so that I could read them to try to see what you're talking about is the thing.

Yeah you don't have to explain. Then again no one has to answer either. Right?

I don't drink. I went through detox earlier. I don't drink.

Restate any remaining questions and I'm sure that if I don't answer them someone will. I do when I can but I can't always is the thing. And these noobs around here (yeah tilqicom I'm lookin' at you!) sometimes beat me to an answer I could have given. But do take the time to ensure that it is formatted according to the usual and customary considerations of this forum. That does not mean that you determine the length of a line. Rather, simply type your post and let my resolution and monitors determine where the line breaks will occur.

15 Sep 12, 2008 02:55

EdB wrote:

Actually this crap where you either use an external editor or force line breaks resulting in a thread that is overly long is total crap. Use the damned features in here so it looks reasonably okay to all users! I've edited 2 of your posts to remove the forced line breaks so that I could read them to try to see what you're talking about is the thing.

I am sorry here I didnt mean to post it all wrong.

Yeah you don't have to explain. Then again no one has to answer either. Right?

Again I was simply trying to explain why I did the post like I did I did not realize that it was going to cause a major issue, nor did I think it would offend like it did.

I don't drink. I went through detox earlier. I don't drink.

For this I am really sorry as I didnt realize this or I would have never said it.

Restate any remaining questions and I'm sure that if I don't answer them someone will. I do when I can but I can't always is the thing. And these noobs around here (yeah tilqicom I'm lookin' at you!) sometimes beat me to an answer I could have given. But do take the time to ensure that it is formatted according to the usual and customary considerations of this forum. That does not mean that you determine the length of a line. Rather, simply type your post and let my resolution and monitors determine where the line breaks will occur.

I have taken your advice once more so I posted it as best as I can this time around, hope it is easier to read and follow along this time. I have also posted the issues I need further help with below.

I seem to have also offended you as well there Edb, I am so sorry I again didn't mean to by the way that I posted my above posts, I honestly thought I was not doing it wrong, so I hope this post here will turn out better , I am also very truly sorry about the drink part, I was only going by what you had posted in one of the posts above about your

Using the few remaining powers in my drug and booze addled brain I think that would be an error (extra space) in your /conf/_basic_config.php file. So give that a shot.

sorry there that I got it wrong. Had I known this of you I would never had intentionally said that to you at all. I am not like that.

for the other questions and issues I seem to be having at this time are as follows:

(1) the php.ini file seems to show some security issues :I go to tools on my dashboard and then hit system and there it says a lot of security php issues:
like :PHP register_globals is set to on and it should be set to Off
PHP allow_url_fopen it should be off
PHP Magic Quotes is on and it should be off
post_max_size should be larger than upload_max_filesize

Now I did try to go in again to that file and checked all of these edited them and then saved the file again thru that Cpanel but when I go back to the B2evo side and hit refresh they all still show up as not being fixed?

(2) This is also in the same section as the errors above these are the messages for this part below it has to do with the media files somehow but I dont know where to go to fix this issue?:

* The blog's media directory «media/blogs/Loans/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist. Help

* The blog's media directory «media/blogs/Asthma/» could not be created, because the parent directory is not writable or does not exist.
So once again I thank you for all the time and help you have given
me thus far and I do apologise

You had also mentioned this part to do in one of your posts above to me:

Unfortunately that will mean the few images you have in the few posts you have other than the default stuff will have to be edited.Fortunately your blog is new so it won't take complicated stuff via phpmyadmin. All you have to do is edit posts that have image and remove "articles/" from the URL."

I didnt add any URLS to the post I did already or do these get added automatically when you create a post thru the blogging software?

I hope this will clear the air here with what I have already posted here and I again dont mean to offend anyone here at all. Just in need of some help so if anyone here that reads this thread can further assist me with these questions and steps on how I can fix them I would really appreciate the help.

thanks to everyone and also thanks to Edb for all the help thus far you have given me as well.

Libby

16 Sep 12, 2008 07:46

Okay on the security one. No wait first on me getting pissy. Sorry bout that but dental work apparently gets me grumpy. I used to use a lot of drugs and even more alcohol. A LOT. But it sort of got the better of me so I entered a detox program and got smarted about what addiction is all about. And got sober. So the damage is done one could say, or one could refer to a drug and alcohol addled brain. And tilqicom is a great guy so between a dentist doing minor league stuff and seeing a bit of "grrr" and already being grumpy about lots of text in a forced narrow column I got my grumpy on big time.

Shit happens eh? My bad, my apology.

So the security thing: I don't sweat that one. My back office yells at me about some of it and I ignore it. I figure I pay my host to be a host. Something goes wrong and they either fix it immediately or I'll start paying someone else. b2evolution is great software, but it is free stuff. b2evolution is speaking the truth on all the points, but I tend to not worry about it and have not played with changing them in the php.ini file.

Also I seem to recall someone once saying the back office wasn't reporting the truth. Something to do might be to find your install folder (you've probably deleted it from your server) and upload the file called "phpinfo.php" to your root level then run it. That will tell you the total truth about your various php settings. Lots and lots of stuff there! For example http://wonderwinds.com/install/phpinfo.php

Anyway you should probably talk to your host about those security issues because really there is more to server security than a few items b2evolution decided to highlight.

Now for the "unable to create stuff because of permissions" thing. Typically you will have to change the permissions of your /media/ and /media/blogs/ and /media/users/ folders for b2evolution to be able to create folders for you to upload images and stuff into. In FileZilla and most any other FTP program you right click the folder on your server and select "change permissions" or "CHMOD". It'll be like a little logic table where stuff adds 3 bits together to make a number. Eventually you get 3 numbers with a maximum value of 777. Sometimes 775 is enough for b2evolution, sometimes you'll have to go all the way to 777. This is generally considered a security risk and as it turns out my server space got malicious files injected due to living on a shared hosting account. I brought it to this forum seeking advice, after I brought it to my host's attention. They installed something called SUPHP which magically made it so I didn't have to CHMOD anything to have b2evolution create folders.

So either CHMOD those three folders to 775 and see if that works, going to 777 if it doesn't, and again talk to your host because getting SUPHP will be like ... like ... like an analogy that compares getting something installed on your server to something that you would consider good. :)

What else was there? Oh yeah the posts you might have to edit. Lemme see... Don't worry about it. The image for the Avery product I thought lived on your server, but it doesn't so it still shows up. IF you had uploaded that image then added it to your post before moving everything up one level then the image would no longer show. No worries though as all is well with that post.

--------------------------------

OFF TOPIC: I wonder if there is a way to count words in a thread in phpbb? If so this thread, even on it's first page, is probably in the running for the wordiest post of all time ;)

17 Sep 12, 2008 18:11

HI EdB,

thank you for taking the time out to reply back to me once again on these issues, as always it is appreciated. I can fully understand better now about your reply back yesterday, been there myself with dental work and I can fully understand that part :)

already being grumpy about lots of text in a forced narrow column I got my grumpy on big time.

You made me laugh and smile here with this part.

OFF TOPIC: I wonder if there is a way to count words in a thread in phpbb? If so this thread, even on it's first page, is probably in the running for the wordiest post of all time

And as I said I only did it that way because I thought it would have been easier to read, again learned something new :)

Ok now for these issues: I did go ahead and email my hosting company here and they are working on the php.ini file for me , they had done this file for me once before but now since we are using the version of php.5.2.6 the old php.ini file for version php 4 stopped working here for the install that I had, so when I hear back from my hosting on this matter I will update this thread , so that for any other member here that might encounter this issue they will have a already solution, I hope :)

I did use some of your advice here when I wrote to them so I again want to thank your for explaining that SUPHP part better for me to understand it. I never heard of that term till I saw it here, bet my hosting company will learn something new as well ;)

Now for the "unable to create stuff because of permissions" thing. Typically you will have to change the permissions of your /media/ and /media/blogs/ and /media/users/ folders for b2evolution to be able to create folders for you to upload images and stuff into.

I did also change out my media folders to the 777 but I was able to do that thru my Cpanel side here and it works, as the red error messages I was getting in my dashboard seems to have disappeared, but like you had said this is a security issue so I don't want to leave it that way for long.

Also on this media folder thingy, I seem to have a media folder in my main HTML side as well, so do i need to change that folder permissions as well or just the media folders pertaining to inside my b2 evo folders where the domain and software for b2 evo is?

Something to do might be to find your install folder (you've probably deleted it from your server) and upload the file called "phpinfo.php" to your root level then run it. That will tell you the total truth about your various php settings. Lots and lots of stuff there! For example http://wonderwinds.com/install/phpinfo.php

I did delete that folder yes, but I put it back after reading this last reply from you, so do I need to keep all those files there for the install folder? or just this phpinfo.php.php file? As when I put it back it did come up as a warning that it should be deleted in the systems report in the blogging settings section.

Also please forgive me but how do I actually run this this file? And again I am guessing here, but when you say "to my root level" are you meaning put this file into my root level of my domain name where the b2 evo files are at for the blog? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I just want to make sure that I have it in the right section.

Ok so I think that covers everything this post. I do have other questions about the dashboard side like when creating a post and all the other stuff that goes into it like the URLs how do you create them? Or is that done automatically when you do a post?

I am studying that manual to wrap my head around it all. I know that I use the Explicit param on index.php when I choose this to make the post, but I was wondering if there are more plugins that I need to install here to make sure that I get the right SEO and keywords etc used correctly so any tips you could share with me I sure could use it.

thanks once again Ed for taking the time to help me here yes I may be new to all this but thus far all the help and steps you have given me within this thread have really really sorted alot out for me this far, thank you.
and this is a great forum all the same for us newbie type members to learn and grow with for sure:)

I will await your next reply back and thanks again , I hope your dentist work paid off for you all the same and hope you are feeling better for it :)

Libby

18 Sep 12, 2008 18:25

phpinfo.php can go anywhere. IF you keep an install folder make sure phpinfo.php is the only file in it! Meaning you can upload it to your "server root" which would be alongside your conf and inc and skins folders. From there simply go to yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php and see all the cool stuff. Down the road a bit it might be very handy to have that level of detail available, but maybe not.

Which media folder to chmod? Only the one(s) that b2evolution knows of and uses. For example the main installation (that used to be in the 'articles' folder) should have a 'media' folder. It and the 'blogs' and 'users' folders inside it need to be writable by b2evolution. Going with 777 means "everybody and their brother" can write. Going with SUPHP means that your exact piece of the server you are on is considered the owner, so whatever the naturally occurring permission level is will work.

All sorts of stuff is handled automagically for you. Make up a title and blog something, and let b2evolution do the rest for you. As you do this take some time to notice the end result, then next time tinker. Like, every post must have a category, and all posts can have as many 'sub categories' as you want. Even categories can have sub-cats, and a sub-cat can be the main cat for any given post. Make sense? Of course not, so play with it and ponder it until another piece falls into place for you.

Tags are down there somewhere too. You can use 'em or not, as you see fit.

Way at the bottom is a field for the URL Title or something like that. I pretty much ignore it because b2evolution will make "My Greatest Title Ever" become "my-greatest-title-ever" and tack that onto the end of my permalinks for me.

There is like a million little bits you can set up a million different ways. Way too much to take in all at once eh? Thus: use it, enjoy it, and every now and then ask yourself "how did that happen". Search the forums for stuff you find intriguing and you'll probably find it's been talked about already too.

Time for me to go. Yesterday's experience is a dim memory, so I should treat myself to breakfast. If the world has a soul the young lady who brought me an omelet yesterday will bring me pancakes today. What a nice view she is at breakfast time :D

19 Sep 12, 2008 20:22

EdB wrote:

OFF TOPIC: I wonder if there is a way to count words in a thread in phpbb? If so this thread, even on it's first page, is probably in the running for the wordiest post of all time ;)

No shit!!! I think that record was broken on post 1

¥

20 Sep 12, 2008 23:13

¥åßßå wrote:

EdB wrote:

No shit!!! I think that record was broken on post 1

¥

lol :D

Btw Edb dont think that i missed that one (calling me noob 8| ), just because i did not respond, i respect your age, but i am more tolerant and understanding when it comes down on people with long hair.. ask yabs :P

21 Sep 13, 2008 01:50

Hi Once again EdB,

thank you for the last reply I will answer that one in a few, as I got a update back from my hosting company here and wanted to post it here so that all who see this thread can help me to decide which way I should handle this further please?

EdB Wrote:So either CHMOD those three folders to 775 and see if that works, going to 777 if it doesn't, and again talk to your host because getting SUPHP will be like ... like ... like an analogy that compares getting something installed on your server to something that you would consider good.

So I asked them on the SUPHP part and this is there reply:

Hello,

The PHP-SUEXEC should be enabled to run the php script under the ownership of user. If we enable php suexec on the server the following should be noted to run a php script.
-------------------------
1. .htaccess should not contain any php config values. Such php values should be specified in php.ini.
2. Permissions for all the php files must be 644
3. Permissions for all web directories must be 755
4. Ownership must be of the user and not nobody or any other user.
-------------------------

Currently the php4 is suexec enabled. Please verify it from the snipett.
-------------------
root@cs10 [~]# /usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_phpconf --current
Available handlers: suphp dso cgi none
DEFAULT PHP: 5
PHP4 SAPI: cgi
PHP5 SAPI: dso
SUEXEC: enabled
root@cs10 [~]#
-------------------
If you want to switch to php 4 , please let us know.

Regards,
Scott

As far as I can see then this SUPHP is not installed on the server here but it has this :PHP-SUEXEC ????

Now I am no expert by any means with php or the values etc, I asked them this part which is below before hand and above was there reply back to me on this issue:

Now as I understand this all :

On shared hosts, the hosting company should actually be using mod_suphp in order for your PHP scripts to run under your own user account, thus enforcing the best possible isolation from other users on the same server, and resolving all file permission issues at the same time. So I should have installed something called SUPHP on my server shared hosting account here to prevent malicious attackes?

I am majorly concerned on CHMOD my folders to 777. Because this is generally considered a security risk and as it turns out my server space could even get malicious files injected due to living on a shared hosting account.

This might have to also be manually installed by you on your end into my hosting account but it is called SUPHP which magically will make it so I didn't have to CHMOD anything to have b2evolution create folders. for the media side of things here, I just want to make sure that this SUPHP is installed for my accounts here please?

So can someone here help me to decide if I should be going back to this php4 or leave it at the current version of PHP5 and further keep asking them to simply install the SUPHP part that seems to be missing?

I no that some of the b2evo files need permissions of 775 as it stands now in my installed version here and from what I can understand from my hosting account is that all the files would have to stay at 644 and the folders would all have to stay at 755 which again my media folder is set to 777 so yes I am a bit confused on this at the moment?????

It also looks like it is for cgi-bin from there way of posting it back to me in there reply? Or maybe I didn't explain it right to them for them to reply back with we can switch you back to php4 just let us know? When that was not what I was asking them to do.

thanks to everyone who can further assist me with this issue at hand, currently yes my media folder is still set at 777 and they still cant seem to turn off the "PHP allow_url_fopen On" it is suppose to be showing as OFF

based on what I see in the dashboard side thru the tools /system section it is still on, so hopefully those here with more knowledge on the security issues and the PHP side can assist here, I know Edb you had said that you had files injected into your server without this SUPHP as I understand it so I really can use some further advice here on this issue please?

And well to those that have made a comment or 2 about my words and the length of my posts here, I guess this post here will be about the same lol, so who is keeping the word count again for this thread? ;)

thanks everyone
Libby

22 Sep 13, 2008 16:56

Libby wrote:

so who is keeping the word count again for this thread?

Not me, any number that requires me to take my socks off to count is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to big for my blonde brain :D

¥

*edit*
By any chance is this a dedicated server, or a VPS server .. either one ... and do you have WHM access? ... If you do then it's really easy to install suphp and use it for php5

If you *do* install suphp then the only requirement is that none of your files or folders have world write access ( ie/ 775 is cool, 777 will reulst in a 500 "server error" failure ).

Changing all your file perms is a one liner *if* you have ssh access ( which you will if it's a dedi/vps )

¥

23 Sep 17, 2008 04:10

HI Y,

thank you for getting back to me on this issue, I have been away for the last few days due to the storms in our area, so I am sorry for the late response to this thread.

I have also been back and forth with my hosting company on this SUPHP issue as well, to answer your questions first off:

By any chance is this a dedicated server, or a VPS server .. either one ... and do you have WHM access? ... If you do then it's really easy to install suphp and use it for php5

This is a shared hosting account, so not sure what VPS server stands for? can you further explain that term please? How Can I check if I have WHM access and what again do those letters stand for please? Sorry not a blonde but still some of these terms are foreign to me. So please do explain it to me in simple terms so I can follow, thanks.

On the issue of this SUPHP the hosting company claims that it is installed but that it was not working so they installed it for php version 4 on my hosting account, but I seem to be running php version 5 when I checked the phpinfo.php.php file with my domain name?????

Also wanted to point this out, I still have the media folder set to 777 and did not encounter any 500 error, although saying that I did have a 500 error message today, did not have that on the first day back on friday before I started contacting the hosting company on these issues, so I once again had to contact the hosting company today and they fixed it, and my domain blog is now showing up again ,but as you had said here that all my folders and files should all be set to a 775 or 755 and files set to 664 right? So if that is the case then they must not have installed the SUPHP then like they had said? I am confused here, but at the same time need for further help please as to how I can completely check if they did install the SUPHP into my account as they had said, as well I will need further help and answers please as to the initialed letters you had stated here in your last reply to me Y if you are here and have the time to further help me I will once again appreciate it.

thanks everyone, hope to here back soon on this thread.

Libby

24 Sep 17, 2008 07:49

Hi Libby,
VPS stands for Virtual Private Server ... it's the poor mans version of a dedicated box :roll:

WHM stands for Web Host Manager ... it's similar to a domains control panel, but used to control a server/vps

As you're on shared hosting it's pretty unlikely that you have access to WHM

suphp works perfectly well with php 5, our own server runs that setup. I wonder what they meant when they said "not working properly" ? Chances are it failed because of ownership/permissions, both of which are one line fixes in SSH ( Secure SHell .. a way of talking to a server via the keyboard ).

If it helps them, these are the settings that we use :
php.conf wrote:

# SuPHP configuration for PHP5
LoadModule suphp_module modules/mod_suphp.so
suPHP_Engine on
AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .php5 .php4 .php .php3 .php2 .phtml
<Directory />
suPHP_AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5
</Directory>

They'll also need to ensure that none of your files/ folders are world writeable and that the owner and group are your user

ssh wrote:

chown username:username ~/ -R
chmod 0755 ~/ -R

¥

25 Sep 17, 2008 15:57

HI Y,
thank you first off for the very clear explanation to the terms, now I better understand what they mean :) I am still going rounds with my hosting on this issue at hand of the SUPHP as they said its not possiable to give me user permissions?????? And I noticed that in my b2b evo system set up under the tools section they final got my php registered globals turned to off, as well as the other PHP sections of : PhP allow_url_include, PHP allow_url_fopen
PHP Magic Quotes all finally turned off, but this section is what I still see in my b2evo system set up:PHP running as USER:nobody (uid 99)
PHP running as GROUP:nobody (gid 99) , And this is the part that I seem to have trouble explaining to them if I am indeed talking about the right user permissions? Am I ??

Is their any way that I can set up this SUPHP myself even though I am on a shared hosting??? I do have .htacess which is again is oddly how they got all those above settings to turn off, even though from my end I used the php.ini file and turned all of them off expect for that PHP allow_url_fopen it would not go to the off setting for me this end so my hosting had to turn it to off there end and again they used the .htacess file to do so which I found to be odd but it worked?
So any light or better way that you can advise me as to how I can explain to my hosting how they can indeed let me stay on php 5 and get these user permissions set up as me the user as well as how I can explain it to them in away that they will understand this whole issue I sure could use the simple wording so to speak to pass onto my hosting? And if there is any way that I can set this up my end here even though I am on a shared hosting account I again sure would like to give it a try but please again in simple terms so I can follow along.
Thanks Y once again for helping me to further understand these new terms and I will await your next reply if you can be so kind to further assist me with this complex issue at hand.

Libby

26 Sep 17, 2008 16:53

I guess this might count as "advertising" but I am not in a referral program and figured hey what the heck. I host with realwebhost.com or maybe realwebhosts.com but probably the first version. I think they are a little bit pricey especially if you need a lot of storage space, but wow they totally rock on the customer support. I pointed them to files that were maliciously injected into everything under my 'media' folder and that it was CHMODed to 777 so that b2evolution file manager could do the stuff that it does. In very short order they told me "okay we're gonna do SuPHP cuz then you won't need 777 and the malicious stuff won't happen again. we also cleaned out all your folders of the bad files and set the perms back to 755". A tiny bit later the main developer here said I should talk to my host about SuPHP. So there you go. If you are totally locked into your host then such is life, but if moving doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world then check 'em out.

27 Sep 18, 2008 00:44

HI EdB,
thank you for your reply back into this issue I am currently having, I have been with my hosting for well over a year now, and they do have super customer support, but they seem to know what SUPHP is but I seem to be having a time explaining to them on the install of it onto my server's here.

I have unlimited domains that I can host here with them, as well as unlimited storage space so I can not beat the price of $10.95 per month for all that I get with them. I thank you for your recommended hosting that you use as well however, but yes I am locked in with my current hosting site at this time.

I just seem to be having a time here trying to explain it all so that they can better understand what I am after for them to do. I have just now once again given them the message i am getting when I set the folders file permissions for the media folder to 777 , as well as the message I get when I tried to set it to the 755 permissions which as I understand it this media folder needs to be set to 755 in order for SUPHP to have been installed correctly onto my shared hosting accounts here with them and by them, do I have that part right at least?

So if you or anyone else has a easier way to ask my hosting on how to get this properly set up then please fire away and I will gladly copy and paste the way that you would put it or word it to your own hosting account and send that to my own hosting account manager here so that they finally get it set up for me.

The trouble here is they have so much staff that each time I get a reply back from them it is a new support staff member and thus I have now gotten to the point that I have said reread my entire replies here to you and your other staff members to get what it is that I am after here. thanks once again for any and all replies you all can further help me with here in this issue, I wont give up on my hosting here just yet they have helped me thus far get the PHP allow_url_fopen set to the off setting, but this SUPHP issue seems to have them a bit confused I think for the most part as to what version to get it set up to work with. Here is one of there replies back on this thus far:

Posted: 09/13/2008 17:48
Hi,

We are sorry for the previous response. SuPHP was enabled but not configured to support PHP. We have configured SUPHP with php 4 on the server.

==========================
Default PHP Version (.php files) 5
PHP 5 Handler dso
PHP 4 Handler suphp
Suexec on
==========================

We have also added "allow_url_fopen = Off" in your .htaccess file. Please check it from your end and let us know if you have any issues.

Regards,
Anna.

but as you can see even though they said it was installed for phpversion4 it did not appear to me that way here when I checked that infophp.php file you had suggested to me awhile ago EdB or I may be missing exactly where I need to be looking to see if this SUPHP is installed or not so I could maybe send that over to my hosting manager to look and see better what it is that I am trying to achieve here with this issue. So if you no where or what files I should be looking at to see if they ever did install the SUPHP in the first place then by all means please do share this info with me so I can further look my end here while I wait for there next reply back to me???
So after not seeing this installed or set up from my end here I once again went back to my hosting and said I did not see the SUPHP installed and that my files media folder still had been set to permissions of 777 in order to work so that I did not believe then that the SUPHP had been set up correctly on there end, may be I am getting it wrong ????? so again any tips or better ways to word it to my hosting manager here or how I can check to see if the SUPHP is installed as they say it is or not installed then please by anyone here I sure could use the further help with getting this resolved, it is driving me crazy here to say the least 8|
thanks everyone thus far.
Libby

28 Sep 18, 2008 01:04

<?php if( $tilqicom == 'noob' ) {
eat_hat();
} else {
beg_mercy();
} ?>

The phpinfo file is stock stuff. b2evolution provides a file that makes it easy, but it is nothing magical or difficult to do. Here, for your convenience, is the entire contents of that file:

<?php
/**
 * This is simply displaying standard phpinfo
 * b2evolution - {@link http://b2evolution.net/}
 * Released under GNU GPL License - {@link http://b2evolution.net/about/license.html}
 * @copyright (c)2003-2008 by Francois PLANQUE - {@link http://fplanque.net/}
 * @package install
 */

header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1');
?>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
	<title>phpinfo()</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
</body>
</html>

Copy/paste that into a regular text editor and save it as "phpinfo.php" then upload it to your root directory then go to http://www.lewisbloggingnetwork.com/phpinfo.php and you will see the same type of information that you see at http://wonderwinds.com/install/phpinfo.php
Oh and notice that nowhere on that page is "suphp" mentioned. AFAIK it is not a setting. Rather it is an additional bit the host provides. So they are going to have to either know what to do or figure it out.

Beyond that all I know is what I said: once it was there I don't need 777 anymore. In fact I don't CHMOD anything to anything. Whatever my FTP client makes and whatever b2evolution make seem to be perfectly fine.

29 Sep 18, 2008 18:22

Hi Libby,I'm sorry but I *really* have zero experience when it comes to shared hosting ... about the nearest I get is the questions here

There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth/storage .. believe me, we run dedicated boxes huh?

Condensed instructions on how they can install suphp using WHM ( which is normally on http://domain.com:2087 )

1) Log in
2) meander over to service configuration > configure php and suExec .... see if suphp is available for php5, if it is, select it and press save ... job done barring perms and ownership ( see ssh solution in previous post )
3) If that option isn't available then they need to meander over to software > apache update and include suphp .... then they'll probably need to re-read step 2

¥

30 Sep 18, 2008 21:30

Oh wow I missed that. Who do you host with Libby? Because if they truly are unlimited in the number of domains and storage space then for 11 bucks a month I could backup my terabyte of disk space I use here at home. As things are now, I use a couple of external hard drives and a slew of CDs to keep my backups current.

Yeah there ain't no such thing as "unlimited" hosting. Except email accounts, but even then you eventually will bump up against the storage and/or bandwidth limit that must exist. The thing is each server has a maximum amount of storage space, and a maximum amount of bandwidth it can deliver. So the way the "unlimited" claim works is the fine print. Typically something like " ... unless you hog up resources then we have to limit you ... ".

31 Sep 19, 2008 17:29

HI Y,

thank you once again for the reply back into this complex matter, for the most recent update with this issue here goes. My hosting manager say's that because I am on a shared hosting account, in order for them to install the SUPHP it would not only affect my account here with them but other accounts who share this server so they say it can be done but... that they have to make sure that others who are also hosting with them won't be affected by this change as thus some php scripts do require the 777 file permissions to work, and this might be true as I do have one script that indeed would break unlesss it was set with file permissions of 777 but I am testing that theory here on another cpanel shared hosted account to confirm that for my own peace of mind, as since I learned about this 777 file issue and 755 issue etc it has been somewhat of a learning experience thus far.

I do have yet another question here on this matter Y that maybe you can further assist me with if you can:
(1) When it comes to setting file permissions for folders right should they all be set to 775 or 755 or 777 for the best security? Which one exactly please if you or anyone else here might no this I would welcome some help with this issue as well?

(2) When it comes to say files that are in these folders should they also be set to 755 or should they always be set to 644 or does it matter?
I ask these because as I said I am testing another script out right and at first everything there was set at 777, so I changed everything.... files and folder all to be set at 755 but then some of the files that had been set at 777 indeed stopped working while others still seemed to work at the new 755 file permissions???? So I want to make sure I am setting files and folders at there right levels so to speak as there are like 900 files and folders to this script alone soooo as you can see I dont want to be spending tons of years lol changing files and folders etc to the wrong permissions just to have to go back and rechange them again, this script and hosting is set up at another hosting account that I had from about 5 years ago so its not at my current hosting site that I am having the SUPHP issue with, but if all goes well we plan on moving this site over to our current hosting package site but first off I am testing to make sure it is security worthy to do so. And also if/ when I can get the SUPHP installed at my current hosting account that it wont affect this then script as with SUPHP installed you have to have all files at 644 I believe and folders at 755??

On the issue of unlimited bandwidth, yes that is what is advertised but since you brought this to my attention I went into my cpanel and this is what I see: Disk Space Usage---37.46/∞ MB that is what I am allowed there on that part-----Monthly Bandwidth Transfer----54.35/4500000 MB that is what I am allowed for the Bandwidth Transfer part so once again when I asked my hosting manager on this issue they said that I will never be able to use all of that Monthly Bandwidth Transfer in any one given month and if I did they would be very surprised, and yes they no that I have the b2 blogging software installed here as well as a store front as well as a article directory script, and a few others here that I have again all on the same one account as I said they offered me unlimited domain names here and the package is actually at $12.95 monthly but because I have so many domain names here already with them as well as 2 different hosting packages they let me have this one at the price of $10.95 but all in all we have been with them for well over a year now so again they are worth the value, but again do you think the part on the Monthy Bandwidth Transfer is what they say Y as you mentioned that you are on a Dedicated Boxes so again any insight you can share with me I again would surely appreciate it Alot!!!

On the instructions part that you gave for the WHM way to install this SUPHP right? Is this something then that they would have to do as I am on a shared hosting account here with them?

I thank you again for these instructions you have been kind enough to post here on this and I once again am going to pass this info onto my hosting manager here so that hopefully they will get it sorted, here is there latest reply thus far as well on this matter to me:

Dear Elizabeth,

I understand your concerns completely here. It is a simple configuration change, but it is also associated with a lot of side effects. It will require the site specific configurations to be changed to something that the suphp module processes, also the sites that are already using 777 permissions for folders or files need to be changed to 755 and 644 respectively. So changing it at once, create a lot of problems.

We need some time to address all those sites that are going to break by this configuration change and make some adjustments to correct it. Also, we prefer to make this change during off-peak hours.

We will update you on this, but please provide us some time. I appreciate you patience here.

Regards,
Prad.
Support team

this was last nights post by them just to give some further insight as to what I said here above, I will update this again once they reply back to me as to when it will be actually done. I thank everyone here who has been helping me with this complex issue, I am not going to give up on this by no means it has been now about a week with my hosting manager and such but again they have super support here and in the end I know they will come thru, but at the same time I need to ask these questions here so that I can also better understand all this as well my end and hopefully by my learning and posting it all here it will also help the next newbie type person here who comes across this issue and who reads this thread here solve the same or similar issue as well ;)
I will await your next reply back here Y and hopefully you can help shed some light for me on these file permissions issues or anyone else who reads this thread and reply if you can shed some light and help with my latest questions for help I sure would appreciate it , this has indeed lost me some decent nights sleep thus far but again I know it will be worth it when it is all set up right.
Libby

32 Sep 19, 2008 17:32

wow, you just destroyed the record that you broke with your first post!

¥

33 Sep 19, 2008 17:44

as thus some php scripts do require the 777 file permissions to work,

This is bollocks, the whole point of suphp is that NO script needs 777

1) if suphp is installed then you only need 755 ( or 775 is cool ) you don't need world writeable ( ie/ 777 ), in fact your server will barf if it finds a world writeable file

2) Files only need to be writeable if you need to write to them ( makes sense in english huh ? ) ... I have loads of files at 0750 because the world doesn't even need to read them, never mind write to them

will never be able to use all of that Monthly Bandwidth Transfer in any one given month and if I did they would be very surprised

Check your agreement for cpu/memory/transfer rate limitations ... if they don't have any then let me know and I'll show you how to prove them wrong ;) ... there is no such thing as "unlimited" webspace/transfer" ... trust me, we pay in excess of $300 a month for a dedicated server with limitations ;)

The WHM bit is normally restricted to dedicated/VPS servers, you need them to make the changes.

their reply to you

Cool, they sound like good guys deep down ... they need to "run" the ssh stuff I posted above for every user on the same server as you ... though god knows how two infinite objects exist in the same finite space .... maybe you should ask if they have a solution for cold fusion :roll: ( the energy, not the php framework :p )

person here who comes across this issue and who reads this thread here solve the same or similar issue as well

By the time they get this far they'll have grey hair :|

¥

34 Sep 19, 2008 18:02

HI EdB,

Thank you as well for your reply back into this thread:

Oh wow I missed that. Who do you host with Libby? Because if they truly are unlimited in the number of domains and storage space then for 11 bucks a month I could backup my terabyte of disk space I use here at home. As things are now, I use a couple of external hard drives and a slew of CDs to keep my backups current.

to answer this question for ya here is the link the best that I can post it here here ya go:[url=http://www.vividhosting.com/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=118 MyWebhosting

Now exactly how much is a terabyte? Remember most these terms are still very much new to me ;)
By the way EdB I did get a chance to go to your wonderwinds website and I downloaded most of your hacks so look for me a posting there on your blog with my questions, if i am welcome there to do so? I have not installed any of them yet, until I get the SUPHP issue solved, but they will still work even with the SUPHP I would assume as you had mentioned that you have SUPHP on your hosting account and are using your hacks. By the way I am so glad that I did go to your site there as you did a great job with what you have created, and again I learned again something new about the blogging software with your one hack of the spam thingy I never new that.

I no I have been a real pain here with this thread , but I again need to post these questions here as they have arose up thru out my trying to set this whole blog up along the way and I so much needed help with the questions and issues I have posted here within this thread and thus far have learned alot, boy have I learned a lot thus far , again your help is very much appreciated for a newbie like myself with these new issues that have come up for sure and I have managed to get alot accomplished by the help that has kindly been given in this thread to me up to this point.
I also hope that it will help others as well who come accross this.

Libby

ps going now to ask my host about this part you said that they will say about the hogging issue. Will post back what I learn ;)

35 Sep 19, 2008 18:14

Libby wrote:

Now exactly how much is a terabyte?

so look for me a posting there on your blog with my questions

Lol, damn, that's yer bandwidth screwed huh EdB ? :D

¥

36 Sep 19, 2008 22:51

1,099,511,627,776 bytes. Or 1,073,741,824 kilobytes if you're into that. Some might say 1,048,576 megabytes but they'd be showing off. Might as well just call it 1,024 gigabytes and be done with it.

Yeah comment as you see fit there in hackblogland. Happy comments get happy-talk back. Sad comments make me punch kittens. Just sayin'

http://www.vividhosting.com/index/tos/ then scroll down to item 8. There are *always* limits. There has to be is the thing because a server is just a computer without a monitor, meaning it has a limited drive capacity and limited processor power and ... stuff like that.

Dang. I shouldn't ever look at hosting prices. Mine is a bit pricey is the thing, and generally I don't mind because the biggest complaint I had with them was they fixed something but didn't tell me they fixed it, but wow once you see more this and more that for less money it's not cool :(

Form is loading...