Recent Topics

1 Sep 11, 2008 08:44    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I want to export a blog from one b2evo site to import as a new blog on another b2evo site. Both sites uses multiple blogs feature. Is this possible? Are there any tools that can do this? If not, any instructions to do it manually?

2 Sep 11, 2008 23:55

this sounds interesting. Worth looking into.

I've often wondered about this in case we need to migrate to another system. there has got to be a way to do a sql select statement to export the blog post into a comma delimited file and then take that and import it somewhere else - whereever that may be.

We need someone to help us out on this one... like a plugin or something.

3 Sep 12, 2008 00:12

Yeah this would be awesome, though probably rarely used. Here would be a basic outline of how to get it done, and I am not promising to put time into making it happen, but yeah it would be cool.

The first second third and fourth problems that will need to be worked around will be duplicating ID numbers. Post ID, Category ID, blog ID, author user ID. Probably more than that eh?

So you could set your feed to a million posts so that the feed has all the stuff about all the posts, then try to find a way to import that feed. None exists, but it is a method worth thinking about. Using the feed will, I am pretty sure, remove the numbers from the situation. The problem is you would need a method to ensure that all the bits you need in the destination installation exist there or are created on the fly. This would require extensive work, but could be done.

Another way to crack this nut would be IF you had access to both databases at the same time then you could, in theory, build a program that reads from one and writes to the other. In this situation you would have the problem of identifying only the cats/posts that matter for the transfer. Using syndication feed means you will get "the blog and only the blog" ... er ... actually either method would be up against the fact that an installation could have "cross post across multiple blogs" enabled. That would mean that it is possible for a post in blog N to show up in blog Y when you are trying to copy the contents of blog Y to somewhere else. So now one would have to limit posts to only those where the main category is in the blog being moved. This would mean, to me, that using a database->database method would be the best.

Either way, the ID numbers are going to be the major problem to work through. MAYBE after I finally post my totally awesome radically updated enhanced overhauled version of videoplug plugin I'll take a crack at this. Because it would be fun.

4 Sep 12, 2008 02:02

The ID duplication... that's why I'm hoping there are tools that can eliminate this problem. :p

Is there official document for data dictionary? I can't find it at the document site (unless i used the wrong keywords...) It'll help if i can see the table relationships visually.

5 Sep 12, 2008 02:19

Hi iceblock,

I'll try to find the post by Yabba he recently answered the same question (or a tad different).
What you can do is use an SQL query to add 1000 to the ID of one table making them to large to be able to be equal to the ID of the other table.
The you would sort the posts by date and finally reset the ID.

I'm pretty sure this is possible. However I am even more sure this is rather difficult.
The docs nor existing relations graphs are going to help you. But the table you want to investigate are all in Items.

Good luck

Form is loading...