Recent Topics

1 Sep 21, 2008 03:41    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

since I haven't had my blog for too long, this will be my first upgrade (i currently have 2.4.2) . i have a few questions that are confusing me.

i am using the pixelgreen skin but i've modified it. i have not changed the file names but have modified the code slightly as well as replaced the default header photo. my question is, do i not override this file when i upgrade? or do i override it and then bring back the old and modified files after the upgrade is complete?

another question is the /media files. is this dealt in the same way? since i have files saved in this folder, do i bring back these after the upgrade?

one thing that i read in the docs but is not on the index.html file is that it seems that i can't bring back any of these files. i will have to modify each of the files that i've changed again. is that true?

thanks!
jack
www.savethelegs.com

2 Sep 21, 2008 17:11

Copy 'pixelgreen' as 'myskin' then install it and select it for your blog(s). Now you have no worries when you upgrade. Groovy eh?

3 Sep 21, 2008 18:23

Thanks EdB!

That makes total sense.

Now I'm wondering if I can just use the "upgrade patches" to do a quick upgrade. Since I can't find any detailed docs on this, I assume that I will only replace or add the files that come w/ the patch and not touch anything else. But what I don't understand is what do I do w/ the /config.php file? It says to properly update it. What does that mean?

Thanks in advance to anyone.

4 Sep 21, 2008 18:35

Does your version not have a "_basic_config.php" file in addition to a "config.php" file? At some point the important bits moved from the shorter file name to the longer file name, so you gotta work through that in your head by ... using your head!

So the important bits inside that file are: 4 lines that connect your blog to your database, 1 line for your $baseurl (which used to not have a trailing slash but now does), 1 line for an admin email address, and one line for $config_is_done that you will want to set to '1' after making sure the other 6 lines in the new version match the info from the old version.

I would not even bother with all the baby steps between your version and 242 (or 245 if you're feeling frisky ;) ). Just.Do.It. Upgrade. Your skin is obsolete as soon as you get into the 2.0 world either way, so why make incremental steps and figure out what changed when you can go straight to the end of the (current) line and still have to figure out what changed?

5 Sep 21, 2008 19:14

Sorry, I meant /config folder. Quick upgrade requires updating the files in this folder.

I have 2.4.2 and if it's easier to use the quick upgrade, I'd rather do that.

What sort of changes need to happen in the /config folder? The docs are not specific to this. I assume those 4 lines you're referring to. What else?

Thanks again.

6 Sep 22, 2008 01:20

Oh my bad. For some reason I thought you were upgrading from 1.8 or something. Anyway in the "upgrade 242 to 245" package the /conf/ folder has only one changed file so you don't have to worry about the 4 (actually 7) lines in the _basic_config file.

I haven't upgraded yet so I really can't say what else to focus on. Do you hack core files much? If so upgrading might easily create a problem for you. That's my condition: quite a few hacks, so I have to be very careful about making sure I get all the upgrade features without breaking one of my hacks and without breaking the upgrades.

If the only mods you've done are to your skin and the installation of plugins they you should be good with simply replacing all the files the "upgrader" gives you ... as long as you change the stock name of your skin to something new.

7 Sep 22, 2008 04:00

Ok. I think I'm starting to understand this but am still a bit slow to bare with me. And no, other than changes to my skin, I have no other changes.

In the quick upgrade instructions, it says this:

If you are already running a 2.4.x release, no database upgrade is necessary and you can upgrade just by replacing a few files. Just make sure you properly update your /conf files.

What does "Just make sure you properly update your /conf files." mean? I know there's only one file to be updated. Once I replace the old file w/ the new one, what else do I have to do so that my /config files are properly updated?

Also, it doesn't seem like I have to change the name of my skin because pixelgreen is not one of the one's being upgraded.

Thanks again for the help.

8 Sep 22, 2008 04:12

What does "Just make sure you properly update your /conf files." mean? I

I think that is just a precautionary 'cut n paste'.
Inside the config folder there is one named _basic_config
Thts the one you need to be sure to change before you overwrite it.
As it's not included in the 2.4.2 to 2.45 upgrade, it's not an issue.

9 Jan 18, 2009 21:29

:oops: I am absolutely ignorant of things like this. I got a message on Fantastico to upgrade and so I did. Now when I click on write (or any of the tabs after logging in) to perform a function - I get a white page which has the wording only of what should be on the page...I've lost all of the design features somewhere. I don't want to have to reinstall because I've written a lot and uploaded a number of photographs.

I've sent some printscreens to my site administrator or web guy or whatever you call them.... Can someone help me in simple English - please please....

blog http://shammahspace.ca/blogs//blog1.php?blog=1

:cookie: [/img]

10 Jan 19, 2009 00:19

Couple of thoughts...

One, you should have started a new thread because your issue is quite different than what this thread is about. Oh well eh?

Two, you should look at your /conf/_basic_config.php file and scroll down to where it has $baseurl (or maybe $base_url) and remove the extra trailing slash from your base url.

Three, it sounds like your admin section isn't reading the style sheet. Try doing a forced re-read of the style sheet with CTRL+F5 (in FF - dunno if it is the same in IE or any other browser). If that doesn't help you will want to look at what Fantastico gave you in the "skins_adm" folder. There should be a handful of files and 4 folders. 3 of those 4 folders are skins for your admin area. If you don't have the admin skins you will want to visit the downloads page, download your version, and then upload those folders & files to the proper place on your server.

Hope it helps!

Form is loading...