Recent Topics

1 Oct 17, 2008 23:02    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Hello,

Couldn't find an answer by searching the myriad posts - I beg forgiveness if this is a duplicate question.

I am trying to set up a site wherein members of my extended family can have blogs, so that the rest of us can keep up to date on everyone else's lives. I would like there to be a main blog (homepage) and have sub blogs for each family member that would like to participate. I want to get the permissions set up so that when a family member logs in to the back office, they are only able to write/edit posts AND be able to change the skin on their blog. However, I can't figure out how to do this - when testing it out, it seems the user is able to change GLOBAL settings, not just those pertaining to their own blog. I also don't want them to be adding their own users... I want "users" to be controlled only by the admin. I want users to be able to comment on any blog entry (unless the owner restricts it) but only be able to see the settings (posts/skins) for their own blog, if they have one set up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I have had a terrible time trying to follow the "manual" online. Thanks in advance!

3 Oct 22, 2008 01:30

Okay, that setup makes it so that family members can comment on blogs. If I then create a new blog and a new user, I can assign that user permissions to add/edit posts, and that user only sees their own blog. That part is good. However, the user has no access to changing the blog skin, then, unless the "Feat" permission is granted. However, that also means that the user can enable the advanced permissions on his/her blog, and could therefore set up their own set of users. I don't want that. How do you let the user post and change skins on their blog without being able to enable the advanced user/group permissions?

Thanks for your reply!

4 Oct 22, 2008 13:14

greenbirdweb wrote:

Okay, that setup makes it so that family members can comment on blogs. If I then create a new blog and a new user, I can assign that user permissions to add/edit posts, and that user only sees their own blog. That part is good. However, the user has no access to changing the blog skin, then, unless the "Feat" permission is granted. However, that also means that the user can enable the advanced permissions on his/her blog, and could therefore set up their own set of users. I don't want that. How do you let the user post and change skins on their blog without being able to enable the advanced user/group permissions?

Thanks for your reply!

hmm.. i thought 'check to allow skin files' would make them able to change skins..

then, enable the "Settings" under 'admin permissions' and tell me which other tabs they can see as well as the 'skin settings' tab; and tell me which of them you wouldnt want them to touch, i may be able to work sth out for that

5 Oct 24, 2008 01:12

Thanks for replying again.

I set the group permission to "view settings" under the system admin section, but that didn't seem to change anything when I logged in as the new user. He/she can only access blog settings if I (as admin) go into the blog settings and enable the "advanced user permissions" under the "Features" tab, and then go to the "User Perms" tab, switched to "advanced" view mode, and check the "Feat." box beneath the "Edit blog settings" heading for that user. Then, when logging in as the new user again, he/she can see (under Blog Settings) the tabs: General, Features, Skins, Widgets, URLs, SEO (what is that, anyhow?), Advanced, User Perms, and Group Perms.

I only want the user to be able to access the General, Skins, and Widgets tabs. Also, I want them to have no access to the "Global settings" section in the back office. Only the customization settings (skins, widgets) which pertain to their own blog.

Thanks for the help... if you can figure out some way of working this, it would really be great! :)

7 Dec 03, 2008 00:23

Hi again,

Maybe my problem is more easily described with some definitions:

I (admin) want to have my site set up as one central blog, with sub blogs for family members. I would like to have "authors" (those who wish to have their own sub blog) and "commenters" (other family members who will not write posts.) I would like the list of users to be central to the site itself, not to individual blogs. I want any registered family members to be able to comment on any of the family members blogs. I would like authors to be able to customize the look of their blog (skins/widgets), but don't want them to be able to sign up their own users.

The problem I run into, as described above, is that if I allow authors access to the skins/widgets, they can also access user settings. Is there no way to make the two mutually exclusive?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Form is loading...