Recent Topics

1 Jan 05, 2009 15:06    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I have an installation of B2evo and i love it. i have 5 blogs all installed in one installation to allow for cross posting. all of the blogs are password protected. how can i prevent a registered user of blog A from being able to log into blog B. for example, when user 1 puts in his login info he should go to /blog1. When user 2 puts in her info she should go to /blog2.

thanks so much for your awesome work on B2evo

Chris

2 Jan 08, 2009 22:18

Hi, I have same problem, it would be good to know how to deal with this.
Alex

3 Jan 09, 2009 06:52

Hi, I was working on this issue this evening!

Go to the bottom of blog settings>features; under "multiple authors" check "use advanced perms" and click "save!" You will discover two new tabs under blog settings, to the right of "advanced."

Go to "group settings" and set the privileges for groups to which you can assign users. (The "simple" layout on "group privileges" makes no sense to me, but the "advanced" one is OK.) The "user privileges" lets you fine tune specific users' settings. You may need a screen accessible by clicking on the group name in "group privileges"--I had to make the admin area visible before posting was possible. Note that all these settings are specific to each blog (under blog settings), NOT global.

I wanted to make it so any logged-in, low-privilege user could post to one of my blogs, but could only comment on the others, and not have to look at more than was necessary of the office stuff. But I want them logged in once for the whole group of blogs.

If on the other hand you want to keep all but specific users out of a blog entirely, you can set these privileges so no-one can post to "published" status, i.e. making "protected" the default. Then the blog shows empty until a user signs in--a year or so ago I ran a discussion blog about a rather sensitive issue that I handled that way.

I suggest you create a trial user (or use mr. demouser), assign him privileges you hope will be what you want, then sign out and sign in as him. See what he can and can't do--adjust privileges till you are sure you have the behaviors you want.

4 Jan 09, 2009 18:22

Thank you Martha, you are an Angel.
I don’t know why the b2evol support fellows didn’t give similar explanation.
I have been looking for this kind an answer for a week or more.

I’ll play with it and I’ll see how it goes.
Thank again.
Alex.

5 Jan 09, 2009 18:48

Well, I'm not certain but I think everybody here is a volunteer---so you get what you get, which is usually quite good.

After you've played with it a while, let us know how it went and/or what you learned that might help someone else.

6 Jan 09, 2009 18:50

Alex1 wrote:

I don’t know why the b2evol support fellows

We're called "members" ( just like you are ;) ) .. unless you're me, then you get called God/Admin/Blonde/Genius/Genii/Banned ... and ( technically ) one of us did answer, she's called Martha :D

This plugin ( [url=http://waffleson.co.uk/2008/12/protect-your-blogs]Protect your blogs[/url] ) will automatically change posts to "protected" ( when edited / posted ), it may or may not be of use to you ;)

¥

7 Jan 09, 2009 21:42

No offence Blonde, I just was desperate and couldn’t find solution to something I know that is very basic in blog. I admit I saw your link ( Protect your blogs ) but I couldn’t implement that. May be it is to advance for me or I missing something. I’ll try that one more time again.

I have no intentions to take over Chris Post/Topic but since we are discussing the same issue I thought it might be appropriate…

I made a new install of b2evol, created a few users, created a group “Basic1”, assigned the test user to group “Basic1”, I selected “Blob B” and in “Blog setting” did what Martha suggested so I got the two additional tabs (User Perms, Group Perms).
In Group Perms I unchecked “Is member” for group “Basic1” (in Advanced layout).
In Simple layout it shows “Not Member”.
After update logout and login as a test user I don’t see any difference between this “restricted” user and other users.

What I am missing here?

Thank you.

8 Jan 10, 2009 19:07

No offence taken ... probably because I'm a true blonde ... although my collar and cuffs don't always match :-S

If the plugins "too advanced" for you then either I've written a crap write up ( my money's on this one ... I'm renowned for it ) ... or it doesn't suit your needs ( strong contender, but my money's still on "crap writeup" ;) )

What are you expecting to change in admin that doesn't change ?

¥

9 Jan 13, 2009 00:52

Hi Blonde,
Thanks for the offer.
After I install b2eval there are 4 blogs by default. Blog A, Blog B Linkblog and Photoblog. IF I open the url http://mydomain/blog I’m getting the welcome page of Blog A, which is ok with me.
What I’m trying to achieve is, if user opens that page above and click on any other Blog links (Blog B, Linkblog, Photoblog) then, the user should be redirect to the login page of the requested blog such as http://gpdirectional.com/blog/htsrv/login.php?redirect_to=%2Fblog%2F%3Fblog%3D1

If the user is authenticated then he grants permition to see the content of the requested blog.

That is what I need to achieve, hope it that my description is clear (English is note my mother tong). I spend many hours in trying to do so but no luck yet.

Thank again.
Alex.

10 Jan 13, 2009 09:24

In that case, this is the plugin for you ;)

Upload the plugin and install it.

Then meander over to admin > blog settings > blog B > Advanced ... scroll down and put am:protected in the notes field and press save.

¥

11 Jan 14, 2009 18:46

Blonde, you forgot to say what is that plugin.

12 Jan 14, 2009 18:53

Alex1 wrote:

Blonde, you forgot to say what is that plugin.

¥åßßå wrote:

Alex1 wrote:

I don’t know why the b2evol support fellows

We're called "members" ( just like you are ;) ) .. unless you're me, then you get called God/Admin/Blonde/Genius/Genii/Banned ... and ( technically ) one of us did answer, she's called Martha :D

This plugin ( [url=http://waffleson.co.uk/2008/12/protect-your-blogs]Protect your blogs[/url] ) will automatically change posts to "protected" ( when edited / posted ), it may or may not be of use to you ;)

¥

and they say I'm blonde :roll:

¥

13 Jan 14, 2009 19:16

I tryed this plugin, it is installed. I loged in as admin clicked on Dashboard ->Bolg B -> Blog settings -> Advanced -> scrolled down to Notes: add the am:protected
click on save. logout, open the url and still i can open Blog B with no problem but also without login.

I am lost here

14 Jan 15, 2009 16:45

Could you PM me an admin login for your blog so I can take a look ?

¥

15 Jan 15, 2009 17:52

I did PM to you,
Your help is very much apriciated.

16 Jan 15, 2009 18:04

You're gonna kick yourself ;)

What you've done is install BOPIT, which is a pretty cool plugin to have anyway as it'll help keep you informed of new/upgraded plugins, but you need to install the protected blogs plugin.

After that all should be roses ;)

I replied to your PM and included a link to BOPIT in your admin area where you can find all the download information

¥

17 Jan 15, 2009 23:10

Hi Blonde, you probably wish to kill me.
To my defense I can only say that the instructions are not clear

How does it work?
It's dead simple really, first go grab the plugin from BOPIT, unzip it, upload it, meander into admin and install it .... that was the hard part. For any blog that you wish to protect just put am:protected in the blog notes field and press save ...... and that's it! Instant protected blog
[/

There is no single word about the name of plug-in or the link where you can get it from.
But that’s all history now, thank to you I installed it. AND IT WORKS!
I’ll play with it a while and probably will have more questions.

Thanks a lot
Alex.

18 Jan 16, 2009 11:46

Alex1 wrote:

Hi Blonde, you probably wish to kill me.
To my defense I can only say that the instructions are not clear

In my defense I did have a disclaimer :D

¥åßßå wrote:

If the plugins "too advanced" for you then either I've written a crap write up ( my money's on this one ... I'm renowned for it ) ... or it doesn't suit your needs ( strong contender, but my money's still on "crap writeup" ;) )

¥

19 May 12, 2009 17:43

Like Alex1, I couldn't find a link to the plugin "Protect your blogs".
Where is it? Could you post the link here?

21 May 13, 2009 15:31

Thank you!

That's all I need. I will try to use it tonight.
I'll tell you how it works (fine I hope :) ).

22 May 13, 2009 19:03

It works very well. Thank you so much!!!

Form is loading...