Recent Topics

1 Jan 18, 2009 16:22    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I have spent hours trying to figure this out! I'm trying to upload a skin but files with the PHP extension are 'locked' and won't upload. How do I edit my "PHP configuration"? I know this is probably something simple but I am baffled (and desperate!) Someone take pity and please help...thanks!

3 Jan 18, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the quick response. I've never uploaded anything using FTP so I'm not sure learning how to do that (!) would save me time. If anyone has the patience I need step-by-step instructions, or a link to something like that. Thanks :D

4 Jan 18, 2009 17:20

Google "free FTP software" and you'll see lots of them. I like FileZilla but there are many others. After that all you will need is username and password that gets you into your hosting account (cpanel most of the time).

So you tell your FTP program your domain name your username and your password, then tell it to connect. Now you have basically 2 directories side by side. One is your computer, the other is your server. Navigate the computer side to the folder or file you want to upload, navigate the server side to where you want the folder or file, tell it "upload". You can do the same to download stuff ... of course.

ALSO your host probably has a way for you to FTP stuff without having to use an external program but to me they're not very good. If you have a cpanel from your host then you have a "File Manager" and a "Legacy File Manager". Either of those will let you upload folders or files.

Oh and I think to open up php files inside b2evolution you go to your global settings tab then the file type subtab ... but I've never done it that way myself.

5 Jan 18, 2009 20:12

I have a domain on Lunarpages, and am trying to set up a message board/blog page on that site using b2evolution......I did upload the files using the cpanel on lunarpages (very easy to do!) but I'm not sure if this will help me to transfer the files to where they need to go, in b2evolution.

You were right on the mark about Global Settings/File Types in b2evo. I selected 'PHP files' and there it was in front of me, a picture of a lock. When I put my cursor over it, it said BLOCKED. So I went further to try to un-block it but lo and behold, the magic box was there waiting to be checked but it wouldn't let me (unauthorized access?) Frustrating! I know there must be some way to access that option (otherwise the box wouldn't be there.) If anyone knows how to do that please tell :!: thanks for all the help!!!

6 Jan 18, 2009 21:10

Probably where it says "edit this file type..." (when you hover over the icon for edit)? :)

Yeah the POS file manager in cpanel will upload folders and files to wherever you tell it to by getting to the folder you want to upload something to then browsing to where the stuff is on your computer and uploading, but getting a real FTP program is the smarter way to go.

7 Jan 18, 2009 22:01

If you're using Firefox, then you can always add the FireFTP plug-in to it as well. It has a very simple interface that's hard to fault, though like EdB, I use FileZilla as well.

Form is loading...