Recent Topics

1 Feb 01, 2009 16:19    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I have just unziped and installed my 2.4.6 version of the b2evolution and first thing is to find a registration page or what do not know what to look for.

What i need is the following:

I am trying to build a Masonic Web Site and use the b2 software for my blogs in this web site.

The key is I want registered users that i have verifyed personly myself being a Masonic Site and only brothers should be able to create blogs and reply to other brothers blogs to be able to do the above in red color.

I want to do the following let me explain:

Have a registration page that my users to my web site can click on a link to get to it. This registration page has to basicly asl a few simple questions user needs to make up a user name and passowrd and birth date after agree to some terms to the bliog system.

i really do not want a verifyed registered user to even have access to the backend system but i do not see how that is not posiable to do unless

I really do not want a verifyed registered user to even have access to the backend system but i do not see how that is not posiable to do unless there is a script that can be run from the front end to setup a blog for a user that is a registerd user with a higher then 0 setting and how high would it have to be.

Now is there a page all ready built that does some of this basic stuff to use as a model if so where is it me being new to this system?

What are the setting in the backend to support what i described above.

Remember the user that regsters on the system can not get any access to the backend - and so i can only assume that he would be setup as a user 0.

Now once i register the user i will then give him more writes but I want him to not be able to get access to the backend register user and user permisions area - so how would i then set him up so that he would only be able to create his own blog at that point and reply to other's. But not get access to the backend setup or admin part and this is only above after i have made the user a registered user with limmited rights.

Remember i am new to this product.

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

PS i fixed the CAPS to color as requested!

2 Feb 01, 2009 16:57

Could I possibly ask you to use colours instead of caps, far more pleasing on the eye.

Have a search for autoblog, and protect your blog ... that'll achieve most of what you want between them.

Then you just need to meander over to admin > global settings > enable registrations.

Finally you could probably do with following EdB's latest post in plugin development assistance, because he's finally realised that you can hack the core from a plugin to achieve your goals ... although his goals involve loads of bare breasted women and lots of guns, dunno if the core could cope with that, but I look forward to his plugin none the less :D

¥

3 Feb 01, 2009 17:17

The autoblog, and protect your blog you refer to where do i find that.

I did find the folder logon in the mysite.com/blogs/skins_adm/login/

and in that folder found the file _reg_form.main.php and when I ran the file I get the following error message:

Please, do not access this page directly.

Please explain what i must do to be able to run this file and see what the registration page - if that is what it is?

So i must ask does this page do some of what i want and if i can not run it why?

Please, do not access this page directly.

Do i need to run this file from another file Please tell me which file so i can understand what i need to do?

I can not see really what the file does with out seeing it run so how do I do that?

Please explain?

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

PS I am sorry about the shouting or using of CAPS but I am disabled and my eye sight is not the best so i tend to use CAPS to illastrate what i am trying to say.

I will try the use of color unstead if i can figure out how to change the color of the text in this editor.

4 Feb 02, 2009 01:05

I hope the question in the last post clear up what i am asking and if not Please ask me what information you need to know so you can or someone can help me get at least started with this product!

THANKS

5 Feb 02, 2009 01:22

Actually straight out of the .zip, b2evolution is pretty much where you want to be.

A brand new registrant is "level 1" in "group 4". And because of the default user settings and group settings that means they have no permissions - not even the ability to see the back office stuff. It's kinda tricky. I'm stumbling through it right now myself. But basically you have to give people permission to do stuff. You can give permission by making new people go into a group that has permissions upon registration (you don't want that), or, by moving them into a new group when you verify they're you're type of playa.

Here is my suggestion to you, and it will not be easy but it will teach you how to control what you want to do: put a fake user in each group. I called mine "group4" and "group3" and "group2" knowing that I (as 'admin') am in group #1. Put each of those users in the corresponding group number. Now use a different browser if you have two of them to log in as each of these new users. You will then be able to see "aha - "group4" who happens to be in group 4 which happens to be the default group for new registrants - can't even get to the back office". For me that was bad. For you it is good.

Multi-user multi-blog means one of two things. Either it will suck for most applications because it isn't flexible enough OR it will suck for most applications because it isn't easy to magically understand all the stuff you can do. b2evolution has gone with "let's be really freakin complicated back there". For both of us, this is a good thing!

PS I'm pretty sure ¥åßßå was a wee tad sarcastic in asking for colors. What happens is we get users who treat us like facebook or some other noob tool. So they colorize their posts and increase the font size to a million as if it helps them get noticed. We're all adults in here and it kinda looks stupid to see that kid stuff, so we tell folk "don't do that". ¥åßßå does it with gentle sarcasm. I tend to do it with "WTF is your problem you freakin noob!".

Either way, welcome to the forums and the software! I'm pretty sure you will find there is nothing even close to what you need compared to b2evolution. It will not be the easiest thing since masturbation, and it will not magically know what you want to do, but sooner or later it'll probably be able to get most stuff done the way you want.

6 Feb 02, 2009 01:27

Okay on the "please do not access this page directly" thing, that is because you're not supposed to do that.

You go to yourdomain.tld/path/register.php and *it* figures out to use the file it needs. IT accesses the specific file, not you. In a brand new installation with only the stock skins you will find that line in slightly more than 360 files. In fact the visitor (including the admin when visiting) only needs to access a couple of files directly.

7 Feb 02, 2009 02:38

I found the file register.php in the folder mydomain.com/blogs/htsrv/register.php {I am not sure this is the correct version of the file or not?} is this file the one you refered to in the last reply to me on my posting?

I tried to run the file register.php and get the following:

Registration Currently Disabled

How do I actvate the registerion - what do i have to setup in the backend so that the Registration will be enabled - but also are there any steos i should follow and have to do. Please explain so i do not make any mastake since i am just learning the system.

I looked in the backend and under the General Settings
there is a option with check box - Check to allow new users to register themselves this is for the blog general setting so i am some what confused because - in my case i want to have the user register but not blog specifc but just register on the system.

Does this make sence?

If this is the file can i run this file as is with no changes - outside the admin backend and this will set up a basic user with a setting of 0 or 1 - I hope 0 if not what change would i have to make to make it be zero.

I asked in the origional question what do i have to do so that my new user has very limmited rights until i escalate his permisions - but i personal would have to do that in the bckend of the system.

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

8 Feb 02, 2009 02:59

In your admin side (frequently called "back office") you should have an option somewhere on your Global Settings tab to enable registration. Click the box to put a check in it and scroll down to save the settings. THAT will make registration possible.

What /htsrv/register.php will do is say "oh this owner says registration is allowed (based on the checkbox) so I will give the registration form when the visitor finally reaches this page". Sadly, the visitor would - in a stock installation - have to first click on "log in" then click on "register" to find it. I hacked that to an easier method, but anyway ...

First enable registration. Then let the files do their thing.

what do i have to do so that my new user has very limmited rights

Unless you changed the default group (another "Global settings" thing) or changed what permissions the default group has (no offense, but a noob like you probably hasn't gotten there yet) then trust me: the new user has no permission to do anything. They can't even get into the back office to see that they can't do anything!

Slowly we'll work this out. And eventually you'll find that b2evolution is what you need for what you want to do.

9 Feb 02, 2009 08:30

Under General Settings I did the following:

I set the drop down to Basic User

I check allow registration

Set the option from 1 to 0 I hope that is right

I set the option verify email address to yes

keep change email address to no

Now if i am correct I should have to build a link from my web page to the regiister.php and that will be all i have to do for that.

What about having the system b2 send me a email every time a person registers on the web site.

I also need to have the system send a email out to the user registering when he registers - i hope the option set option verify email address will do that.

If all the above is comfermed to be the way things work then the auto register should be working then.

Now you said that you have hacked that to an easier method, what do you mean please expain what you did in this hack and why it is better?

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

10 Feb 02, 2009 12:43

Good morning!

Have you tried logging out of your account and looking at your blog like a visitor who wants to register? That'll be the best way to see if you've got what you want, but I'm pretty sure you do. One thing you'll notice is that there is no "register" link. Instead you/your visitors will have to click "log in" then find the "register" link on the log in page. That's what I hacked, but quite frankly I'd say get to know it before you hack it up. Your choice of course http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?p=86709 :)

11 Feb 02, 2009 20:37

The file register.php located in the folder htsrv in the blogs folder on mydomain.com I see that there is one reference to another web page which the text line is the following:

But when I looked through the php source regoster.php i do not see any reference to that message so I need to ask how this line is printed on the register.php and where is the link it references maintaioned.

I need to mpdify the link from this http://www.mydomain/blogs/htsrv/login.php?redirect_to=

To this unstead http://www.mydomain/blogs/htsrv/login.php

The reason for this the first link gives a user the button to the back end and the just login.php does not.

I think that will be the only change need to be done on the register.php page.

Now if the text is on the page i did not see it since i do have some troubles with the old eyes but I have even used the seach tool and tried to find the text and text was not found - so i do not think the the text is actualy located in the register.php so where is it and how can i make the simple modification to it?

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

12 Feb 03, 2009 00:02

You don't need to modify anything. Test it and you'll see. No matter what the redirect is, no one gets to the back office unless you give them or their group permission to get into the back office.

Try it! Don't just study the code and assume something is what I mean.

13 Feb 03, 2009 00:12

In fact here: http://wonderwinds.com/raw_246/index.php?blog=1 sign up on that blog and try to get into the back office. You won't be able to because I didn't give your group any permission to access the back office. The only thing I changed was I checked "enable registration".

It already does what you want is the thing.

14 Feb 04, 2009 07:04

fshaw anything to share with us? I know in my heart b2evolution is totally gonna handle what you've described, so I'm really hoping you've given "just register" a whirl.

15 Feb 05, 2009 05:11

I did run the register.php and the logon.php and i see that there is a line in the page as i stated before i want to remove and as i went through the php script register.php i could not locate the line.

The line I want to locate and remove or change is the following line:

This line above comes up when the register.php script is run.

http://www.mydomain/blogs/htsrv/register.php

you try this your self you will see - I removed the name of the domain so that i would not get spamed to death.

But when the register.php runs a under the register button you will see the words Log into existing account... I want to change the line a bit where and how do i do that. Please tell me how?

Next when you click on the link Log into existing account...
it takes you to the link http://www.domain.com/blogs/htsrv/login.php?redirect_to=

A side note: The above link seems to change from my editor to the actaul posting why?

I want to change this link to something else i jsut want to bring up the link with out the argumnet because if i do that the login.php is missing the backend button and i do not want the backend button avaiable.

Try it you will see the difference your self.

http://www.mydomain.com/blogs/htsrv/login.php?redirect_to=

you see above does a redirect and i do not want that.

Unstaed I want this

http://www.mydomain/blogs/htsrv/login.php

Try the twp above and you will see each brings up a different looking page

The first one bring up a register page with two login buttons - i want only one that is just login and not login to backend.

I want to remove the login to backend button and to do that i just remove the ?redirect_to= and the just plain with no argument does that.

So that is why i am asking the question above as to where do i find the place in the product that the above line is what file and what line?

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

PS sorry i was away a few days and was not on line for that period of time.

"My computer was out being repaired"

LOL

16 Feb 05, 2009 05:24

If there was a way i could send you the domain name instaed above i change the domain name to mydomain.com so i would not get spamed to death.

So i am avoiding put the actual domain name on a open board system.

The problem is every time i try to put the link in the above posting some how it gets changed but if you know the product you should be able to bring up the register.php page on your system with out a modifactaion to the scriot and see the link i am refering to in the above posting and see where the link takes you to - this is not where i want to go because there is a get argumnet passed and i do not want anything passed.

No Get

Different looking page when there is no get argement.

17 Feb 05, 2009 12:59

fshaw wrote:

... The key is I want registered users that i have verifyed personly myself being a Masonic Site and only brothers should be able to create blogs and reply to other brothers blogs to be able fshaw wrote:

...to do the above in red color.

Okay cool. It already does this.

fshaw wrote:

... This registration page has to basicly asl a few simple questions user needs to make up a user name and passowrd and birth date after agree to some terms to the bliog system.

That probably can be hacked, but you would be following hooks for plugins to get 'er done, meaning you might as well use a plugin. Unfortunately none exists that I know of to extend the registration process.

i really do not want a verifyed registered user to even have access to the backend system but i do not see how that is not posiable to do unless

Yup - this is exactly how it already works. Don't worry about user level - it is used very rarely.

fshaw wrote:

Remember the user that regsters on the system can not get any access to the backend - and so i can only assume that he would be setup as a user 0.

but you haven't tested this right? The assumption that someone needs to be a 0 to not access the back office is a mistake.

fshaw wrote:

Now once i register the user i will then give him more writes but I want him to not be able to get access to the backend register user and user permisions area - so how would i then set him up so that he would only be able to create his own blog at that point and reply to other's. But not get access to the backend setup or admin part and this is only above after i have made the user a registered user with limmited rights.

I don't follow this at all. What exactly would someone write if they don't have access to the back office given that the back office is where people write posts? Are you trying to say only registered users can comment? If so that is a completely different thing.

18 Feb 05, 2009 13:00

Unfortuntely now the target has shifted to removing a linked line from the login process.

Frank please: have you even tried to register, or have you looked at code and decided it is not going to work the way you want?

Sometimes I hack stuff I don't need when someone asks for help, but usually I understand the point they're trying to reach and see that it is something b2evolution can't do all by itself. In this case I'm not really interested because the product already does everything you've described EXCEPT it has a linked bit of text you're unhappy with. Try it and you'll see you don't need to do anything to the files to get where you want to be.

OTOH if you really want to hack through it I'd be looking in the /skins_adm/login/ folder. Not sure though as I've not opened files and poked around.

19 Feb 05, 2009 16:27

THe product and what i am ilooking for and will basicly support what i what as is with little to no modifaction on my part and if there needs to be some I jsut need to know where to look for the script - file and maybe the line number - but if not known - jsut the folder will help - and file even better.

As far as the user level I need to use so that feature is important for me.

I will now start my user level at 1 whcih is the default setting it comes with out of the box,

As far as the back end you say the that is the only way to have the user post you say "back office is where people write posts" and i can assume that there is where the user writes replys to what is posted.

That is fine longs if the user while in the backend is controled as to what he can and can not do.

I can only assume that type of control is built into the system.

So what i need to do is give the access to the backend from the front end so i will have to make some type of interface in my web site web page that will allow the user into the backend to do what he is allowed to due accrding to his permisions he has. The trick is to do this so he does not know he is actual doing that - ie "transparent to the user" acesss to the backend editor thorugh the front end.

And I am saying this - Only registered users can make comments and reply to all the blogs.

This probley can be done using Curl Libarays for shure.

The next thing need to be able to display what he has posted in his blog or replyed to in other brothers blogs in the front end on my web site page.

I will clearly need some help understanding how to do that going forward - but not there yet.

I plan to only post the most recent blogs and replys on the front page of my web site and have all the others show up on back page where every they maybe and how many pages their has to be to support all the most recent blogs and archive the rest.

That is the basic plan.

THANKS

Frank H. Shaw

Form is loading...