Recent Topics

1 Feb 03, 2009 06:43    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

This is a familiar theme. I have b2evolution setup on a linux server on a school network. The blogs will not be accessible from the outside. I need to know how to setup 6 classes. 3 grades with two teachers each. All of the students in the class will have a blog. What is the best way to get this done?

Example.
3rd grade teacher
student blog1
student blog2

4th grade teacher
student blog1
student blog2

Nothing fancy. These are elementary kids. Can a user not have an email address? Our students don't have email accounts.

2 Feb 03, 2009 15:05

It kind of depends on how you want to group them, but it's all doable. Use aggregate blogs for your groupings ;)

¥

3 Feb 03, 2009 22:35

I want to group them by class. Each teacher is separate with students under them. Is this what you are referring to?

4 Feb 04, 2009 07:47

Ok, depending on the level of complexity that you want, you can arrange your blogs as follows

1) unique blog for each student
2) unique blog for each teacher ( assume the teachers want to post as well ? )
3) unique aggregate blog for each teacher ( aggregate all relevant students blogs and the teachers blog )
4) unique blog for each class ( aggregate all relevant students & teachers blogs )

3 & 4 may be the same thing, depending on how your classes work, but that should help you start

¥

5 Feb 09, 2009 22:30

I have talked to the teacher at the school. It is not as complicated as I thought.

Teacher blog
student blog
student blogs grouped by teacher.
Everyone in the school can read the blogs
Is there a way to avoid email? The students don't have email accounts.

6 Feb 09, 2009 23:02

"grouped by teacher" is gonna be fun, and yeah you can avoid emails. Avoid emails by first creating a 'student' then by clicking the 'copy this user' button until you have as many students as you need. When you create the first student give them credit for having verified their email address, and have an email address that actually goes somewhere. The profile must have one, so students must be told "if you change your email address god will torture a baby kitten ... and we'll beat you senseless with a tire iron". Or something like that. Also there is a setting somewhere for "verify email address changes". Make sure it is enabled so that a student who does change the email addy in their profile will be locked out until they fess up their crime.

One could probably craft up a way to automagically inject them but I don't know of one handily available.

So let's pretend some stuff and look at things in bullet format: 1 admin, 5 teachers, 10 students per teacher.
7 GROUPS:
* 1 for admin - admin rules all.
* 1 for "all teachers" - this way all teachers can have higher level permissions than any student.
* 5 for "each teacher". This will let each teacher determine the permissions their students get.

56 USERS and BLOGS:
* 1 for admin even though admin probably doesn't need the blog.
* 5 for teachers. They need to be users of course, and their blog will be where all their student's blog posts also show up.
* 50 for the student body.
* Each student user is placed in a "each teacher" group for their teacher.
* Each student blog is aggregated into their teacher's blog.

That's a rough outline that I think satisfies your needs.

Oh wait yeah you can also aggregate all the blogs into blog #1. That way when Sally (a student in Mr Phelps class) posts something it will show up in Sally's blog - of course, and Mr Phelps blog because his student's blogs are aggregated into his blog, and finally the main blog because all blogs are aggregated into blog #1. If someone visits the main blog and wants to click the read-more link on Sally's blog post they will be taken to the permalink page, which will be Sally's blog. So now this visitor saw 'the big picture' skin, and then gets to see what Sally thinks is the right skin for the job.

Holy cow depending on the student's ages and studies and whatnot you could even give them permission to edit their own style sheets so they can have totally customized blogs when you get to that level.

Cool stuff.

7 Feb 10, 2009 18:05

EdB == yabba ++ excessive bandwidth :|

¥

8 Feb 11, 2009 00:21

¥åßßå wrote:

EdB == yabba ++ excessive bandwidth :|

¥

Nicest thing you've ever said about me!

9 Feb 11, 2009 10:08

And it was a one liner :D

¥