Recent Topics

1 Feb 07, 2009 13:01    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Am I being dumb here ?? Got a fair amount of experience with Wordpress & Serendipity, but cannot get my head around these ones in B2 ......... how do I change the (theme) menu titles, and the pages they link to ....... I'm using 'terrafirma'.
Secondly, I'm not understanding 'static' pages as cannot seem to generate one ??

I'm trying to create a website with a mixture of static and dynamic pages .... the home page, amongst others, needs to be static
TIA
DeLTa :(

2 Feb 07, 2009 13:26

Hi DeLTA. Welcome to the forums!

Without a version number it's kinda hard to say for sure, so I'll go with the latest version and hope you are too.

Changing stuff is generally done via the Blog settings -> pick a blog -> widgets subtab. On that tab you will notice a container called "Sidebar" for example. In it you might have a widget called "Categories" for example. Click the widget's name and you will see what bits you can customize with ease. Usually "name on your blog" is in there, but so is "name on your widget list".

Static pages are, generally speaking, useless. My understanding of what that does is grabs a copy of the main page of a blog and makes a static copy of it. Then when visitors come knocking your server gives them the static page instead of rebuilding the entire thing via php and mysql queries. In theory it'll do good if you get slash dotted, but if you get slash dotted how would you get in to build a static page?

What do you mean by "needs to be static"? Because there is a thing when you post where you can tell it the type of post is either a "post" or a "page". If you select "page" you can handle it differently than a "post" type. So like no datestamp or feedback option even though your blog posts have them.

Another thing you could do for a "looks like it is static" home page is to use blog #1 for your main blog on index.php (another setting you get to configure through your admin interface) then do all your blogging on blog #2.

3 Feb 08, 2009 21:44

Hi EdB
Thanx for your prompt reply, which was very helpful ........ i think I'm starting to get my head around the different ways that b2 does things !!!

I'm doing this site for a friend (dog breeder) who wants static home & info pages (unfortunately !!) ..... many thanks for your advice and help.

Thanks again ......... I may be back !!!! :D

Form is loading...