Recent Topics

1 Feb 13, 2009 23:40    

When I write a post how do I specify that it posts to a particular page? It always posts to my home blog page now.

2 Feb 14, 2009 00:14

Hi taffysew. Where would you like a blog post to go, if not into a blog?

What version are you running? Got a link we can see, and maybe a clearer explanation of what doesn't seem right to you? Cuz see every post makes it's own page as well as showing up in a blog. The blog is typically a multi-post thing, and the permalink is a single post. Oh and you can also make a post be "page type" which is handled a little bit differently than a typical blog post.

So there you go! The terminology thing can get messy eh? We would need to know your version and ideally see a link with a clearer explanation of what doesn't seem right to you.

3 Feb 14, 2009 00:25

www.insidethegardenwall.com/blogs

See how on the home page there is a post that says,,, wish I was on the purse page? I don't know how to post that on the purse page. As you can tell I am newbie. I have only been blogging or trying for a week or so. Thus I probably don't even have the correct terms to ask my questions.

4 Feb 14, 2009 00:27

I am using the lastest stable B2evo

6 Feb 14, 2009 00:46

Okay cool. So now we're gonna get 'er done!

What you probably want is to have a blog called "Purses". That way you can make a post in the blog called "Purses" and it'll show up there.

Oh and you'll have to change some of your widgets. "Blog settings -> pick a blog -> widgets" eh? There you will see that you have a handful of "containers", each of which has some "widgets" in it.

A container is simply a place on your blog that isn't the place where the posts go. Probably the container named "Sidebar" is the easiest example? It has a couple of widgets, which are nothing more than bits of stuff you want to put here or there. I'll bet your Sidebar container has "Sewing artists (blog title)" followed by "Long description of this blog". Pretty good so far?

Okay here's what you've got that isn't going to work for what you want. You made a post called "Purses" and selected the 'type' as "page". Pages in b2evolution are handled differently than posts - as you see. In your "Menu" container delete the widget called "Page list" then click on where it says "Add widgets >>" (for the menu container). Now find a widget called something like "Blog list". After you create your "Purses" blog you will see that you have a new link to the new blog up there.

FINALLY you'll be able to get purse-stuff to show up in your "Purses" blog. But then you'll be all "yeah but what about the page I already wrote" and I'll be all "ah don't sweat it just delete it and rewrite it" cuz that's gonna be easier than hacking a file or two and moving it and hacking the files back.

7 Feb 14, 2009 00:46

Afwas it is a post-as-page in blog #1. I'm pretty sure anyway. Like, there is no second blog yet.

8 Feb 14, 2009 00:48

taffysew wrote:

... Thus I probably don't even have the correct terms to ask my questions.

That is always the biggest hurdle. You say "page" and we think of something different than you. So we gotta make sure we're hearing what you are saying. And the other way around to eh?

9 Feb 14, 2009 00:51

Then forget about the lovely image I made.But keep it here just to enlighten the imaginative explanation by EdB. EdB, do try to distract the reader to a point where you can say: "and now look at the beautiful image by Afwas and hit this or that button."

10 Feb 14, 2009 01:27

One day I gotta tell my server it's okay to feed images to this domain. Cuz like I got this anti-hotlinking thing going on but holy cow it is so much easier to do lots of talking with a few pictures. One day. Dunno which one though.

Hey taffysew! When you get your other blog (or blogs) created you'll see what Afwas is pointing at. That'll be what you will click when you want to make sure your "Purses" bits go in purses. Instead of pockets I guess.

11 Feb 14, 2009 01:32

Okay, a few things of confusion ....
Afwas, I have never seen that place you are pointing to with your lovely image. Where do I find that?

Ed,
So, the thing is... I guess I don't understand multiple blogs. I the menu bar to show the various pages... (blogs is it?) so people can flip around easy from one thing to another.

The interface I am using when I go to admin ... lets me select page or post when I create something.

So, Ed, if I understand you correctly... and I will likely understand better once I follow along and DO what you said... if I change the widgets to blog list rather than page list, I will see the list of "blogs" on my menu? Which that is fine and dandy with me too. I don't mind starting over as this really is how it sinks into my brain.

12 Feb 14, 2009 02:01

I think I did as you suggested but now they are separate entities. How can I tie them together? Once I click to the purses, I can't click back to SewingArt or what is the blog1

How do I get to the bloglink widget to modify the menu bar?

I am not sure if I am making progress... :-(

13 Feb 14, 2009 02:04

Other than adding "comments" can you not "post" to more than one "page" of a blog?

14 Feb 14, 2009 02:27

Commenting isn't posting!

This is freakin complex, but not hard. Tell ya what: PM me your login name and password for your #1 account and I'll show you by doing.

Basically though you gotta dig on how a "page" in here is NOT like a regular web page. EVERY time you make a post you are creating a collection of data that can and will be it's own web page. The hierarchy of how your visitors find it is what's giving you the troubles at this point, driven mostly by a terminology issue.

BTW it looks like you haven't created a second blog yet.

The hierachy sorta looks like this, if you don't mind me comparing it to the USA:
YOUR DOMAIN = the nation. Big giant "global settings" rule the installation.
EACH BLOG = another state. Rather specific "blog settings" rule each blog, which of course have to follow the global settings.
EACH CATEGORY = sorta like a county but the analogy is breaking down right now.
EACH POST = sorta like a city or town in a county.

Where is the breakdown? Each post can actually be in more than one category and more than one blog. It's a little tricky to do all that, but not hard. But if we settle for the "post in category in blog in domain" model it'll work until you feel a need to get a little deeper with it.

RIGHT NOW you want your Purses blog. You want a "page" about purses, and you want to add to that page. But b2evolution won't edit a post to stick another post inside it. Instead your Purses should be a blog with many different posts about purses in it.

Aw crap I gotta make a battery be a battery so I can do something with an old engine so I can sell it. And I write too much. So take some time to see if any of this makes sense. And let us know when you have some AHA! moments and what questions still linger.

15 Feb 14, 2009 02:46

Oh and go to http://wonderwinds.com/raw_246/blog1.php to read all the default installation posts. Looks like you went with an installation without those posts, which is cool, but for sure you should read that stuff because most of it is designed to teach you stuff.

16 Feb 17, 2009 06:38

Hey Ed,
Thanks to your help that was over and above the call, I have the blog going.
Thanks again for getting me straightened up.
-Rose

Form is loading...