Recent Topics

1 Feb 15, 2009 03:28    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Is this a custom skin? or a pre-existing skin?

http://www.iderbrant.com/index.php?blog=2

Also, the icons that you see to the left of each photo, is this a plugin? If so, what is the plug in name? I am talking about the person, folder, magnifier, quote icon, etc.

Thank you so much!

3 Feb 15, 2009 03:43

John, thank you so much. This is exactly what I want. Can you pls tell me if I can change the header to place my own website header so it has the look and feel of my site?

4 Feb 15, 2009 04:01

Sure.... just remember to credit the originator, Afwas.
Change images, change colours etc etc,

5 Feb 15, 2009 04:04

John, thank you so much. i am very pleased the support on b2evolution for questions is so responsive. I was worried that if I did not use WordPress, I would not get such a great outcome. Thank you so much for helping me.

One last thing please: I see on some blogs they have they have lingblogs, photoblogs, and videoblogs, such as the link I copied earlier for you.

Can I have just one blog and post photos and videos and links all in the same blog?

7 Feb 15, 2009 04:07

brilliant, thank you a million!

8 Feb 15, 2009 04:08

John the uncertain meets InCertainCompany..lol

thanks again!

9 Feb 15, 2009 04:13

so sorry about this, I forgot to ask this question. On this template design,

http://skindemo.b2evolution.net/2/index.php?tempskin=simple_zen

is what you see what you get for default plug ins? is this what the blog will look like when added to my site, or does this example of the simple_zen skin have plugins that I have to add?

i am trying to determine what is default and what is plugin

Thank you so much.

10 Feb 15, 2009 04:25

What you see is what you get... :)
That is the default Simple Zen skin.

11 Feb 15, 2009 04:26

Wonderful wonderful :)

12 Feb 15, 2009 04:28

Generally speaking, the things you see on the skins demo are what you will get with a "brand new installation and your brand new skin". So yeah it's all default, BUT, some of it is plugins. Like the (accursedly horrid) calendar for example. "Calendar" is a plugin that makes a widget that you can put in your sidebar. Or header. Or menu. Or footer. All these being examples of "containers".

So here's the deal: if you have changed the widgets in your containers then your blog will look like "your blog with a new skin" after you install simple_zen. In other words if you've removed the (ugly useless stupid) calendar it will not return just because the skins demo shows a calendar. Does that make sense? I'm sure it does because only smart people use b2evolution. Science ... er ... SCIENCE! has proven that. Therefore I'm sure you, a b2evolution user, got it ;)

13 Feb 15, 2009 04:28

Damn! Too much time being creative. Beat by the smart people. Again. :(

14 Feb 15, 2009 04:34

lol I kinda liked the calendar :)

okay, so if I understand you correctly, the zen skin comes with a widget container that has preinstalled widgets by default for that skin.

If I change the widget container, and removed the calendar, it will not appear on the zen skin any longer.

I haven't used b2evolution as yet. I wanted to use their forums and see the support and response time before I went through installation..everyone is telling me to use WOrdpress, but hell I tried for the life of me to see the themes on Wordpress..it says 602 themes and I saw but 5 and couldn't figure out how to see more..

so tell me, could I install all this myself? do most people do it themselves or hire a developer to install it for them?

I'm a smart woman, but I am rather eccentric, impatient, and I talk to myself often...

could you share with me your favorite b2e blog?

15 Feb 15, 2009 04:56

Nope. Each skin has containers. Most have the usual blend of containers I guess. Your database holds the info about which widget goes in what container.

You remove widgets via your back office. You can have a (rather nice and pleasing) Calendar on this blog, and not on that blog if that's your thing. The database knows what you told it, and therefore does it.

So after deciding which widgets belong in which containers on which blogs, you decide to change skins. Cool! ALL your widget settings remain the same.

You don't actually change containers by the way. Containers are a function of the skin. So like a "two sidebar" skin such as simple_zen has a Container that "single sidebar" skins don't have. Obviously if you go from simple_zen to evopress you will no longer see the bits that used to be in the "second sidebar".

My favorite b2evo blog? Mine of course! I visit me all the time. I used to leave comments but then I realized I was deleting my comments and sending myself emails asking me to not do that anymore, so I just surf it now ;)

16 Feb 15, 2009 04:58

We need a visual flow chart of this stuff. Someone once did it for containers, but wow a visual of how it all ties together would be sweet as tupelo honey.

17 Feb 15, 2009 05:03

Thank you Ed. I read a comment you made about a new plugin creation and it referenced you had trouble with Help, or Help Desk or something. I didn't save it. It was a plug in to add random youtube URLs.

Do you still have difficulty with help? then I read a comment made in Oct 08 by someone about this newly created plugin. WEnt to their website and they converted to Wordpress! uggh!

18 Feb 15, 2009 05:09

InCertainCompany wrote:

... so tell me, could I install all this myself? do most people do it themselves or hire a developer to install it for them? ...

Missed that part.

Yeah most folk do it themselves. Some folk around here offer paid support, but honestly you should say "I am too busy my time is too valuable" instead of "I can't figure this out" before you talk to someone about paid services.

Oh and on the "speed of service" thing please dig on something: both this app and wordpress are open source software with free support forums. Don't judge the app by the speed of the forums because in both cases people who answer sometimes sleep. Or maybe don't know. Or whatever. Judge the application by if it is good for you. Judge the forums by how it feels to be there when you need to be there.

Here we try to be friendly and helpful. Maybe if b2evolution had the user-base of wordpress things would change? Maybe we would be more quick to say "search or shut up" eh? As it is we're more family than strangers, so it's kinda fun. MOST of the time.

BTW I'm one of the biggest assholes in here. The smart people give me credit cuz I post all the time, but wow I'm totally mean and self-absorbed and anti-social. Are you hot? Single? Did I type that out loud? OMG I think I did.

19 Feb 15, 2009 05:12

InCertainCompany wrote:

Thank you Ed. I read a comment you made about a new plugin creation and it referenced you had trouble with Help, or Help Desk or something. I didn't save it. It was a plug in to add random youtube URLs.

Do you still have difficulty with help? then I read a comment made in Oct 08 by someone about this newly created plugin. WEnt to their website and they converted to Wordpress! uggh!

Dunno what you are referencing, but I wrote the "random youtubes" plugin so maybe I should? Usually a problem with help is a problem with the help I provide ;)

LOTS of people move on to wordpress. I've tried it and don't find it to my liking, though I see why others do. Do you really need 11 blogs for your blog? I do, so WP just isn't going to work for me. I also like quality code. WP stinks like poo on the inside. b2evolution used to be totally awesome and has evolved to the point where I am both baffled and mystified. And I *love* to tinker in it.

20 Feb 15, 2009 05:38

lol Ed you are too funny. This is the internet..I am single, hot , a very close resemblance to Angelina Joie..but without all the kids...

now now..

Okay, let me tell, you , I was going through some of the plugs ins I was thinking I might want and I am getting error messages. Like with the boo-box, and coincidentally, with the random youtube plugin! I was looking at that one too!..there as another one too, I cant remember which one...

23 Feb 15, 2009 12:06

Hi Angelina.

forumlatest works as well as I can make it work ... for me ;) In the thread about it someone had problems (obviously). I think sam2kb kit on the possible solution then Yabba nailed it. The next problem never got any clarification so I can't tell any more than that.

bloggportaler stuff looks like social bookmarking bits. Or advertising bits. Or maybe they're just little rectangular images linked to stuff? Not really sure though. Cuz like I'm not very social. And I don't do ads. Or read German. Looks like German eh? I'm pretty sure they absolutely are little rectangular images though :)

24 Feb 15, 2009 14:09

I don't do German either...I thought maybe that was social bookmark links that I could add in English...there was a social bookmark plugin made by Lady something, but the link doesn't work...I really wanted that one..

25 Feb 15, 2009 14:21

Free HTML widget will let you pop in just about any code they give you for those badgy things.

Oh and this has gone pretty much off-topic eh? No worries if you've got some questions before pulling the trigger on installing, but a tidy forum is a happy forum right? Like "what skin is that" got covered pretty early on. I'd say if you want to discuss if this app can be your friend you might consider opening up a dialog in the http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewforum.php?f=5 forum.

Form is loading...