Recent Topics

1 Mar 04, 2009 21:06    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

How would someone move their b2evolution blog to Squarespace.com?

According to the Squarespace people, "We can accept any Movable Type blog export type file(.txt). You can then use > our Blog Importer(website management > blog importer) and choose the Movable > type option to import your journal file from there."

According to b2evolution, "The MovableType API is one of the APIs supported by b2evolution. "

However, I don't know if that means b2e will let me produce an export file.

2 Mar 04, 2009 21:35

B2evo can import Movable Type txt files just as Squarespace can. that's what the quote you mention means.

However I'm not aware that it can export any such file.

3 Mar 05, 2009 01:27

However I'm not aware that it can export any such file.

It's really sad that b2evo doesn't have an export feature. There should be at least b2evo to b2evo import/export.
Let's say you have 2 blogs and you want to merge them in one, there's no way other than hire a smart guy for this job.

4 Mar 05, 2009 04:07

There's a couple of different threads and thoughts on this. Firstly it seems very odd to ask for a method to move away from an application. That would mean the developers are asked to spend their time coding ways so someone could use something else. Seem strange?

Another thought is that there are 4 rather suitable export methods already available. RDF, RSS, RSS2, and Atom. Simply set your feed limit to a number slightly higher than your total post count and your feed will have all the groovy bits about all your posts.

Oh and maybe somehow the new 'sitemap' thing can also be useful in this type of thing? Dunno. I had sitemap slightly figured out a few versions ago but sorta lost it all.

5 Mar 05, 2009 04:20

@EdB I guess you were talking about the export to Squarespace.com cos b2evo can't import RDF, RSS, RSS2, or Atom feeds.

Firstly it seems very odd to ask for a method to move away from an application. That would mean the developers are asked to spend their time coding ways so someone could use something else. Seem strange?

I agree with this but what about the user-friendly b2evo-2-b2evo import/export.

6 Mar 05, 2009 04:34

Correct re exporting to something else. It's been asked for quite a few times for going to some other app. Oh and I just remembered that would also mean identifying which version of the other app as well. Very hard eh?

Yeah b2evo can't import a feed, and I reckon most apps can't as well. That would be a cool import tool eh? Kinda like "if your current app makes an Atom feed then we can import it" as a catch-all importer?

Similar problems with mixing blogs. Which of the two blog ones becomes blog one, or do they both become blog one? And so on and so on. Next up is categories right? What do you do with two different cat #1s? Post ID is probably the easiest because you could go by publication date. Best thing probably is to hire a smart guy. I think [url=http://b2evolution.net/about/professionals.php]I read something[/url] about those types of people. [url=http://ru.b2evo.net/show.php/b2evolution-freelance-work]One of 'em[/url] seems pretty sharp ;)

But yeah importing feeds would be way-cool, and mixing existing blogs would be ultra-cool.

7 Mar 05, 2009 04:49

Similar problems with mixing blogs.

Not a problem at all, we can get rid of all IDs and create new blogs/categories before importing posts.

We can do the following for each post:
1. Create a blog if not exists (check the urlname)
2. Create a category if not exists (check the urlname)
3. Insert a post

8 Mar 05, 2009 06:03

Way off-topic!

And what if all the things that don't exist do exist? And if it's not a problem then why do you see it as a problem that needs solving by experts? ???

9 Mar 05, 2009 06:30

That's why I'm now working on feed importer ;)

Form is loading...