Recent Topics

1 Mar 21, 2009 19:18    

Sounds odd I guess, but yeah I'd like to be able to have b2evo automagically make tags out of (a) main and sub cats, and (b) info provided by a plugin-generated posting field.

Any pointers or ideas on where to begin looking?

2 Mar 22, 2009 11:29

I have to ask, why?

You should be able to play with the tags in BeforeItemCreate/Update(), IIRC it's a bit convoluted to set them but I've forgotten which plugin I wrote that does it :P

¥

3 Mar 22, 2009 15:51

¥åßßå wrote:

I have to ask, why?

Mostly to see if I can't get you wondering "WTF is that all about?"

Or ... in the contest plugin I'm mostly done with but still tinkering with peeps will be selecting a flying site from a plugin-induced field. It won't be clickable as a category, so I thought if I could force that text into the tag field then there would be a way to filter posts by flying site. Which would give me reason to use sam2kb's flashy tag cloud thing :)

4 Mar 22, 2009 16:40

You'd end up with a bit of a nightmare when editing a post. Chances are you could make a post widget that showed your plugins "tags" and you could do some fancy search link thing to show all posts with the same tag. Or you could use (un)FilterItemContent() to add your tags to the posts content and then they'll be "searchable with normal search, but could/would include posts that had the same words in them ... which might not be a bad thing.

Damn that was a lot for one line, but nobody listens to my multi-liners :(

¥

*edit*
Unless they won't be using tags, in which case just use BeforeItemCreate||Update() to add your plugin stuff as tags ( and overwrite any existing tags )

*edit 2*
EdB wrote:

To me tags are dumb

5 Mar 22, 2009 17:23

Yeah they are, but this ain't for me ;) Heck I've even pretty much given up on categories cuz why would I bother categorizing when everything I post is either a fairly focused b2evo thing or a rant that includes mentioning my penis frequently?

I'm probably just daydreaming here. Like, some one who happens to be in the target audience for the monster plugin will one day figure out how to post something and that info will spread and it'll reach someone who ain't so freakin old they think email is pretty darned fancy. Then I'll have someone who actually uses the tags field, which means it'll make a hell of a mess of things.

BTW the error you found where (in retrospect) I had 'error' messages identified as either success or note apparently got fixed in the sandbox but not the realdeal installation. So the first poster figured it was a blog app so he intended to check out the bloggyness of it. And totally screwed up my precious little tables. doh!

OT: I'm having a lot more fun making something that "pings" a phpbb2 forum as a stand-alone plugin. IF it ever actually works it'll have real-world value is the thing. For example when we have news in the news blog it could automagically post in the forums for those who don't subscribe to that feed. But I'm trying to do it without initializing phpbb because getting into the guts of that thing makes me want to hack wordpress :(

Form is loading...