Recent Topics

1 May 15, 2009 19:59    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I want to implement b2 evo for review of film theaters in world.
People will comment on each theater.
Can I implement search by country or state or zip where user can enter zip and read reviews of theater in that area. Plz help

2 May 16, 2009 18:27

You may use the following category structure

main category => USA
  sub category => FL
    sub category => Miami
      sub category => 33180
        post => AMC Aventura 24

Then visitors could browse (search) your theaters by any sub category. Plus you can group theaters from different categories (places) by adding post tags, e.g. "Free parking" and "Digital picture" so they can select all theaters from "Miami" area with "Digital picture".

EDIT: Don't waste your time with b2evo 2.x, you'll need the latest version of b2evo 3.x to build a good catalog website.

3 May 18, 2009 16:07

sam2kb wrote:

EDIT: Don't waste your time with b2evo 2.x, you'll need the latest version of b2evo 3.x to build a good catalog website.

Wait a minute - that is completely wrong. v3 is a BETA release. Unless you are an experienced user and/or perfectly willing to be the tester, use a STABLE release. ALWAYS.

4 May 18, 2009 18:31

I have a catalog-like site, and unless you are a developer I'm not recommending use b2evo 2.4.x for it. I built the site on b2evo 2.5-beta, I wish I could use 3.1 for it. Now it's overhacked and it'll take a lot of time to upgrade to 3.x even for me.

3.x is BETA, but it's pretty stable, and before you build a fully functional site and fill it with content, b2evo may become stable and you'll upgrade it.

I won't list 3.x advantages, just trust me, it's better suited for catalog-like sites.

5 May 18, 2009 19:41

I bet most of your hacks could be plugins ;)

¥

6 May 18, 2009 19:54

¥åßßå wrote:

I bet most of your hacks could be plugins ;)

You're right, and at some point I started moving all hacks into one monster plugin, but there are still a lot of things that can't be moved :(

If you remember I asked a long time ago on how to implement categories short and long descriptions, and I've done this, but now it's an "Intro post" and a part of the core. So some of my hacks are useless now.

That's why I think it's better to use the latest available build, even if it's a BETA.

7 May 18, 2009 19:58

You expect my mind to go back that far? :O ... I have trouble remembering what day it is :|

X.x.x ( especially .alpha || .beta ) is always gonna have shit in that you used to have to hack ... it's where most of the code/ideas come from ;)

Remembering that admin *requires* js ( and jquery is available ) is a good way to kill loads of hacks, you can add shit where it's *really* not supposed to be ;)

¥

Form is loading...