Recent Topics

1 May 24, 2009 15:33    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I'm sorry to seem so clueless, but I'm using b2evo for the first time. I originally installed an older version through Network Solutions, but was instructed to upgrade to the New Year version, which I somehow accomplished.

Questions:

I can only give basic users access to edit/delete ALL posts or NO posts. How do allow them to only edit/delete their OWN posts?

I can only get to the Upload Files tab after posting, then going back in to edit.

Thanks.

2 May 24, 2009 16:47

you can use the userblog plugin if you want them to have different blogs. is that what you are asking about?

3 May 24, 2009 18:20

No, sorry, I want them to able to edit/delete ONLY their posts. I keep getting Forbidden when I sign on as a new user, post a comment, then try to delete it.

4 May 24, 2009 19:48

Hi patty. Your topic title sucks. Just something to think about eh? I mean, can you imagine how many posters are looking for help with something? :roll:

I have this in one of my installations. I'll have to sip my way through a rather bland cup of coffee then dig up if it is native or another groovy "core improvement" of mine. Either way I'll be back eventually.

5 May 24, 2009 20:01

Welcome to the forums!

First you have to edit group settings.
1. In b2evo control panel navigate to Users tab > and click on "Basic Uses" group name.
2. Select the following:
- Access to Admin area: Visible link
- Files: View files for all allowed roots
- Antispam: View only
3. Save settings

Now we must configure blog permissions
1. Navigate to Blog settings tab > and pick a blog you want new users to post in.
2. Click on "Features" tab and check the "Use advanced perms" option. Save changes.
3. Two new tabs appeared in Blog settings, click on "Group perms"
4. Select the "publisher" role for "Basic Users" group. Save changes.

You're done, now all new and registered users may create posts in selected blog.
- They will not be able to view/edit blog settings or delete their posts and/or uploaded files.
- They can only edit their own posts.

6 May 24, 2009 20:43

Okay that makes it official! So it is a native feature, not a core improvement. Whatever "one-of" feature I did for that other installation, this isn't it.

7 May 24, 2009 23:09

No hacks required ;)

There's an easy way to allow users to post in [u]all blogs[/u] if this is what you wanted. Just move existing users to "Bloggers" group, and select "Bloggers" as default group for new users.

8 May 25, 2009 00:26

sam2kb wrote:

No hacks required ;)

I don't hack. I improve the core :p

In an installation I manage that allows for multiple bloggers to only edit their own works I (a) also allow uploading media and (b) have one unpublished core improvement. The thing is when I saw this question I couldn't remember if b2evo could handle "edit only your own bits" (it can and does) or if that was the bit I improved. Still don't know what the improvement in that installation is but it hardly matters eh? Because we now know it is simply a matter of configuring the user/group settings appropriately. I've got this feeling the same holds true for uploading media ... probably by using the 'advanced' feature for permissions instead of just picking one of the named permission groups.

9 May 25, 2009 00:46

I've got this feeling the same holds true for uploading media ... probably by using the 'advanced' feature for permissions instead of just picking one of the named permission groups.

You don't have to edit the 'advanced' permissions. "Contributor" and "Publisher" can upload files, but can't edit/delete them. Same applies for members of "Bloggers" group

10 May 25, 2009 01:12

one of the most definitive titles i love, draws attention every time P:

11 May 25, 2009 13:42

Thanks, all, for your help. I guess I have to play around a lot. BTW, is this forum a B2Evolution open source? Mine doesn't look anything like this. No 'New Topic" or 'Post Reply' tabs. It's all very cumbersome!

And, thanks, EdB, for your subject heading observation. I have taken your advice in the spirit I'm sure it was intended. ;)

Form is loading...