Recent Topics

1 May 30, 2009 21:39    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

OK, I'm a pretty smart guy (I'm a pension actuary, for those that know what an actuary is) and I'm finding b2evo to be ridiculously difficult to customize.

I've installed v2.4.5 through lunarpages, my host.

For a long time, I couldn't even figure out where the set up had installed the directory on my main account (it's the 2nd subdomain of my main site, though none of the domains are linked or meant to be linked).

Anyway, I get the red x pretty much everywhere and always have, even in the dashboard, not just when I try to access the blog.

I finally figured out where to point my ftp client to yesterday and was able to successfully update my _basic_config.php file to use the correct url. Somehow it got set up to use http://pinkribbonsforjen.com and it's now updated to use http://www.pinkribbonsforjen.com.

I've also set the permissions for every folder to be 755. I tried 0644 as some threads had suggested, but that ended up giving me a 403 Forbidden error on the site, so I switched every folder back to 755.

As I said, I'm getting the red x in place of every photo/icon - skin previews, icons including the formatting icons for new blog posts, and most importantly - the photo I placed in every possible location that the Image/Blog Logo widget could possibly be looking for the header I created (I've uploaded it as both .png and .jpg to /media/, /media/blogs/, /media/blogs/Jen/, /users/, /users/jen/, /img/, /skins/custom/ and /skins/custom/img/ (I've selected the custom skin in the dashboard)

What am I doing wrong?

2 May 30, 2009 22:02

Well, when I access e. g. the flag icons directly, I can see it - but I can't see it on the blog page! Maybe it's a server issue (content type)?

//edit: Now I get HTTP error 403 (forbidden) when trying to access the image... So maybe that's the cause of your problem?

3 May 30, 2009 22:48

I actually uninstalled and reinstalled the whole bsevo app from my host. Still getting the x's EVERYWHERE

4 May 30, 2009 23:13

I see icons and images just fine... seems like it's sorted

6 Jun 02, 2009 17:09

gmanfsu wrote:

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

OK, I'm a pretty smart guy (I'm a pension actuary, for those that know what an actuary is) and I'm finding b2evo to be ridiculously difficult to customize.

gmanfsu wrote:

I actually uninstalled and reinstalled the whole bsevo app from my host. Still getting the x's EVERYWHERE

I think I know what an actuary is now. An actuary is an arrogant idiot who thinks having a job title enables pathetic attempts at wit OR is someone who rightfully self-identifies as "smart guy" but for some reason is incapable of typing 5 characters successfully.

7 Jun 02, 2009 17:32

EdB wrote:

I think I know what an actuary is now. An actuary is an arrogant idiot who thinks having a job title enables pathetic attempts at wit OR is someone who rightfully self-identifies as "smart guy" but for some reason is incapable of typing 5 characters successfully.

wow that was harsh, i'm glad i didn't make typhos in my first posts

8 Jun 02, 2009 19:22

EdB wrote:

Dude, seriously? You gots PMS or something?

First off, what attempts at wit? Nothing but pure frustration and anger.

Second, arrogance? Because I said I'm "pretty smart"?

And you're not going to make me go back and find all of your typos and grammatical errors and make you look like a fool, are you?

Edited to add:

Oh yeah, and "idiot"? Because I'm one of MANY people who have trouble getting this software installed (one of those is a friend of mine who's been doing web development quite successfully for 9 years and he couldn't get the software to work for me properly either)? Who's arrogant? You've found one thing you know and have developed a skill for and anyone who can't do what you can do, even though you've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours developing your skill compared to our 10 or 20 hours, is an idiot?

Sounds pretty high on the arrogance list there. Maybe you should get yourself a mirror...

9 Jun 03, 2009 14:13

gmanfsu wrote:

EdB wrote:

[...] who thinks having a job title enables pathetic attempts[...]

[...]

First off, what attempts at wit? Nothing but pure frustration and anger.

Second, arrogance? Because I said I'm "pretty smart"?

[...]
MANY people who have trouble getting this software installed (one of those is a friend of mine who's been doing web development quite successfully for 9 years and he couldn't get the software to work for me properly either)?[...][

A web developer is not the same as an Web 2.0 application (i.e., b2evolution) or content management system (CMS) deployer or an (web) server administrator.

Every discipline requires preliminary efforts to acquire proficiency. Accordingly, you may want to do an local installation of the Web 2.0 b2evo software to acquire the first. The second --proficiency-- is the accumulation of the first and is not (usually) a transferable quantity to another (discipline).

There are hosting providers out there that will install the b2evo software for their customers upon an business engagement. On the other hand, there are (other) hosting providers that will cripple certain aspects of PHP (an essential component required by b2evo) due to paranoid security concerns --or their inhability to administer their domains.

If your hosting service is WinXX based, there may be misconfiguration(s) on the open source stack required as the foundation for b2evo.

As suggested by those who replied a priori, your hosting provider may be at fault. As far as I can deduce, b2evo is not more difficult to install than typical open source (web) content management frameworks like SilverStripe, as an specific instance.

Good luck!

10 Jun 03, 2009 18:50

Thanks nan. But "web developer" was my title. He does everything from soup to nuts in getting corporate web sites up and running. Point being was just that he is well experienced in developing web sites and not at all with b2evo, but he still had trouble.

As far as the issue being with my hosting company, I have to doubt that. It's Lunar Pages and they have v2.4.5 right on the cPanel for users to use and install.

Not saying it can't be an error on their part, but I doubt it's deliberate php disabling as you suggested it might be. And their servers are Linux based, not Windows.

Unfortunately, they offer no support for b2evo.

Form is loading...