Recent Topics

1 May 30, 2009 21:18    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Noob (both to blogs and b2evolution) here :)

Silly old me installed it (all appears to be working) and I went to the docs section of the b2evolution site, but the guides there are clearly NOT for the version I have installed.

Is there a guide for v2.4.5 or do I have to guess my way around it all?

Not a problem if I'm on my own, just wondered if I was looking in the wrong place.

Trev

2 May 30, 2009 23:15

Well the guides are pretty much the same for all versions. I do not know about 0.xx version but the guides helped me when i had 2.4.5 installed.

3 May 30, 2009 23:18

I am so frustrated with this software's lack of up-to-date online support.

I appreciate it is free, but the learning curve is too steep.

Without help, I cannot succeed.

No instructions as to how to upgrade, just zip files.

Sorry to say this, but having wasted a day on this, I'm uninstalling it. Sad really.

Can't please all the folk all the time.

5 May 30, 2009 23:47

Yes, I did read that file. Shame it confirms you will have deleted the Install folder and its contents and then says you need it.

That sloppy thinking was the last straw.

I have written many php scripts myself over many years, and I have always made upgrading via a script, not copying files in this archaic way.

Trouble is, b2evolution still seems the best choice for me.

6 May 31, 2009 00:11

Well, I'm giving the 3.2 beta a try.

7 May 31, 2009 08:26

ClevaTreva wrote:

Yes, I did read that file. Shame it confirms you will have deleted the Install folder and its contents and then says you need it.

That sloppy thinking was the last straw.

More a case of sloppy reading than sloppy writing.

ClevaTreva wrote:

I have written many php scripts myself over many years, and I have always made upgrading via a script, not copying files in this archaic way.

The majority of web apps, independent of platform/language upgrade in the same way. The few that don't usually require you to have 0777 perms on your folders, if you consider that progress then good luck, personally I prefer not to force users to have "bitch slap me haxor" perms

ClevaTreva wrote:

Well, I'm giving the 3.2 beta a try.

There's even less documentation for 3.x as it's still in beta

¥

8 May 31, 2009 10:15

I think I should put my uselessness down to three factors:

I know I have a specific learning disability that makes it hard for me to be taught. It used to frustrate the heck out of my teachers and I am a teacher myself now!). It leads me to get frustrated when materials are not presented in a way I can assimilate.

I let my host install the first attempt using fantastico. I shan't make that mistake again.

I was VERY tired.

My apologies to all. This going to be an interesting journey and I will try to be as humble as I can.

Trev

Form is loading...