Recent Topics

1 Jun 04, 2009 06:02    

My b2evolution Version:

I am having problems with twitter updates. I checked the box and input twitter name and password and it won't update twitter. I did it on 3.2 on the demo site and it worked fine, but I can't get it to work on my install. Any suggestions? I am assuming it is a php or sql problem, but I have no idea what I am doing! The message is sent that Pinging twitter.com, but no results

* Pinging Ping-O-Matic...
* Response: [] [Pings being forwarded to 14 services!]
* Pinging twitter.com...

On the demo site, I get

* Pinging Ping-O-Matic...
* Response: [] [Pings being forwarded to 14 services!]
* Pinging twitter.com...
* Posted to account: @jim32724

2 Jun 04, 2009 16:28

Hi chejim

Assuming that the twitter username and password you entered don't have any typos or anything like that I think you are probably right about it being a php thing. At the moment the twitter plugin uses a specific php extension to talk to twitter and sometimes the extension is not always loaded on all hosts.

The interesting thing is that the plugin has a check to make sure the extension is present before installing. I am wondering if this check never happens because the twitter plugin is installed by default.

The easiest thing to do is to remove the plugin from your installation and then load it again to see if the check happens and any errors are thrown. If you want to be really sure then install this plugin:

http://www.leeturner.org/b2evolution-plugins.php/php-extensions-plugin

Go to the Tools -> PHP Extensions tab and look for an extension listed called curl. Let me know what you find.

Cheers
Lee

3 Jun 04, 2009 17:53

Thanks Lee!
I deleted and reinstalled plugin and it worked great! No error codes and it does the updates now. It may have to do with hostgator, so anyone else who has this problem with them, just delete and reinstall and see if it helps.

4 Jun 04, 2009 18:36

lturner wrote:

At the moment the twitter plugin uses a specific php extension to talk to twitter

I'll commit an fsockopen fix to cvs shortly ;)

¥

6 Oct 19, 2009 15:02

Hi managerblue

If it was working on the 14th but not on the 19th then unless you have either changed your settings up your twitter logon details it is unlikely to be a problem with the b2evo twitter plugin.

It is much more likely to be an issue with twitter or some changes to your hosting.

7 Oct 20, 2009 14:43

- I not change everything on twitter account.
- On my website www.blogtika.com it no update on 14 oct to now.
- Hosting has effect with twitter plugin? How?
- To: lturner "but not on the 19th" after post your blog no update too? What's happen?
- Problem permission 777 on hosting?

8 Oct 20, 2009 20:04

Hi

Your hosting can have an effect on the twitter plugin by disabling the libraries that the plugin depends upon or by removing the ability to connect out to external sites (like twitter for example)

The file permissions on your host shouldn't make any difference as far as I know. All I can say is to once again check your Twitter username and password in the plugin settings and make sure you enable posting to Twitter from the advanced blog settings for each blog you want to post to twitter from.

Cheers
Lee

9 Oct 23, 2009 10:01

Please suggestion me.
Referable: www.blogtika.com
Problem: twitter plugin

- I contact with hosting. They tell me about new safety system (no set 777 permission).
- I think that maybe set some folder in FTP to 755 permission. Please tell me, should set 755 where? Folder(name)? for support twitter plugin.

10 Oct 23, 2009 10:57

Hi managerblue

While permission 777 is not ideal, the file permissions on your host have no impact on the twitter plugin at all.

L

11 Oct 23, 2009 14:14

- You mean, i should set 777 permission at \public_html\plugins\twitter_plugin (all file in folder). Right?
- I should set permission to 777 other folder?

12 Oct 23, 2009 14:21

Hi managerblue

File permissions should have no impact on whether the twitter plugin works or not. If the twitter plugin isn't working it will probably be to do with something other than the file permissions.

As far as I know there should be no need to set 777 permissions to any other folder than the media folder.

I am sorry that I can't be any more help with getting the twitter plugin working other than to check your settings again and re-enter your twitter username and password and try again.

L

13 Nov 06, 2009 13:36

Hi everyone.

Like managerblue I have the same issue: As of recently, my blog posts are no-longer updated on twitter, even though nothing has changed what-so-ever.

I really wonder what this could be. I reinstalled the plugin, I tripple-checked the twitter credentials, and all is fine.

So, when posting a new blog post, the twitter plugin confirms that it was posted, however, when checking twitter itself, nothing was updated.

I wonder if twitter has changed something beneath the hood since they introduced those new "lists"... ?!

14 Nov 06, 2009 14:33

I have to say that I am a little stumped by this. Maybe something has changed due to the new list implementation but if you do a search on twitter for #b2p then you will see that people are updating twitter from b2evo from a matter of hours ago so it can't be everyone who is affected:

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23b2p

Very strange.
L

15 Nov 06, 2009 16:52

So, this seems strange indeed: I did a simple test-post from my blog and it showed up on twitter. So far, so good.

"Just posted Testing again http://bit.ly/S5bvA #b2p"

The actual article, however, that I want to show up on twitter, though, does not show up. I deleted the article and re-posted it a few times over, with twitter not being updated.

This is the message I've gotten when posting the article that I want twitter to show:

# Pinging twitter.com...
# Posted to account: @rainerrohde

Yet there's nothing on twitter except my aforementioned test post!

Could it be that the size of the actual blog post affects the twitter update? Just thinking that my tiny test message was shown on twitter, whereas my rather long article (790 words) was not...

Cheers,
Rainer

EDIT: I re-published the article again a couple of times, with the same results: no update on twitter... :(

16 Nov 06, 2009 17:08

Now that is interesting.

I don't think the size of the post will have much influence on whether it posts to twitter or not but maybe the size of the title + the url does. Maybe if the size of the generated tweet is over 140 chars it just gets rejected?

Would you mind posting the title of the post that fails to update twitter?

L

18 Nov 06, 2009 18:15

OK, well I guess that would take it over the 140 character limit as the tweet that b2evo is trying to send to twitter would be:

Just posted Give yourself a reputation to live up to http://rainerrohde.com/index.php/2009/11/06/give-yourself-a-reputation-to-live-up-to?blog=9 #b2p

If you don't mind testing this could you republish the article again but before you do edit your twitter settings in b2evo and remove the "Just Posted" bit from the message format field. This would mean your twitter message format would read:

$title$ $url$ #b2p

For the above post this should take it below 140 characters.

Cheers
L

19 Nov 06, 2009 18:22

This worked now - thank you!

"rainerrohde
Give yourself a reputation to live up to http://bit.ly/3sAyqT #b2p"

However, I am curious: Back on Oct 6 I posted this article:

"Just posted The quintessentials of Dale Carnegie's "How To Win Friends And Influence People" http://bit.ly/DtDBq #b2p"

That article has a title that is much longer than the one that gave me a hard time today and still worked flawlessly in updating twitter then...

Any thoughts?

20 Nov 06, 2009 18:26

rrohde wrote:

his is the message I've gotten when posting the article that I want twitter to show:

# Pinging twitter.com...
# Posted to account: @rainerrohde

What was your "ping" output from a test post ?

¥

21 Nov 06, 2009 18:31

OK, glad that worked although I have no idea why it would have worked back on the 6th Oct. Maybe the change they have made is to enforce the 140 character length on submission so it forces the url shortening onto the clients?

L

22 Nov 06, 2009 18:32

Nope, that was the ping from the actual article I wanted to post...

23 Nov 06, 2009 18:34

lturner wrote:

OK, glad that worked although I have no idea why it would have worked back on the 6th Oct. Maybe the change they have made is to enforce the 140 character length on submission so it forces the url shortening onto the clients?

L

That seems to be a plausible explanation.

24 Nov 06, 2009 18:37

Maybe we should add a url shortening option to the plugin?

25 Nov 06, 2009 18:42

rrohde wrote:

Nope, that was the ping from the actual article I wanted to post...

Sorry, I didn't see "page 2" of this thread :P ... blonde moment :p

@lee, check your lengths ;)

Obsolete code :

function GetDefaultSettings()
	{
		$r = array(
				'twitter_url' => array(
					'label' => $this->T_('Url'),
					'type' => 'text',
					'note' => $this->T_('You really shouldn\'t need to change this'),
					'defaultvalue' => 'twitter.com',
				),
				'twitter_limit' => array(
					'label' => $this->T_('Limit'),
					'type' => 'integer',
					'note' => $this->T_('Max length of tweets'),
					'defaultvalue' => 140,
				),
			);
		return $r;
	}

/**
	 * Send a ping to the configured service.
	 */
	function ItemSendPing( & $params )
	{
		if( strpos( $params['Item']->renderers, 'am_twitter' ) !== false )
		{ // we want to tweet this post
			If( !( $excerpt = $params['Item']->excerpt ) )
			{
				$excerpt = strip_tags( $params['Item']->content );
			}

if( $shortner = $this->UserSettings->get('url_shortner' ) )
			{
				$shortner = ' @'.$shortner.$params['Item']->ID;
			}

$excerpt = substr( $excerpt, 0, $this->Settings->get('twitter_limit' ) - strlen( $shortner ) ).$shortner;
			if( $excerpt )
			{ // we have a potential tweet

¥

26 Nov 06, 2009 18:58

Hi ¥åßßå

Is that code out of your twitter plugin? Looks like a good addition to make.

L

27 Nov 06, 2009 19:52

Does that mean that there will be a new twitter plugin for b2e anytime soon?

28 Nov 06, 2009 20:33

Soon is all relative :)

I don't have the time to look at this right away but will add it to the todo list.

L

29 Nov 06, 2009 20:35

Sounds good! And thank you again.

30 Nov 07, 2009 17:28

lturner wrote:

Is that code out of your twitter plugin?

Yep ;)

¥

31 Nov 10, 2009 07:18

chejim wrote:

Thanks Lee!
just delete and reinstall and see if it helps.

Same here, I just remove and install b2 on my hostgator account and it works now.
Thanks again.

32 Nov 26, 2009 09:06

It would be great if there was either a stop (max characters) in the title (just like in the Subject line of these posts, or a character counter like twitter uses.

33 Feb 18, 2010 09:50

mine -3.3- is not updating either... tried reinstalling, does not work

34 Feb 18, 2010 10:57

How long was the title of the post that you were putting through to twitter?

L

35 Feb 27, 2010 09:26

its not the character limit, i ve tried with very short posts too, it just doesnt post anything to twitter

36 Mar 03, 2010 22:52

i am on hostgator too, i ve tried reinstalling the plugin but it did not work...

here is what i got on extensions

PDO
Reflection
SPL
SQLite
SimpleXML
SourceGuardian
Zend Optimizer
bcmath
calendar
cgi-fcgi
ctype
curl
date
dom
exif
filter
ftp
gd
gettext
hash
iconv
imagick
imap
ionCube Loader
json
libxml
magickwand
mbstring
mcrypt
mhash
mime_magic
mssql
mysql
mysqli
openssl
pcre
pdo_mysql
pdo_sqlite
posix
pspell
session
soap
sockets
standard
tidy
tokenizer
uploadprogress
wddx
xml
xmlreader
xmlrpc
xmlwriter
xsl
zip
zlib

37 Mar 03, 2010 22:58

ok it works now...

call me stupid but i did not check "ping twitter" advanced blog settings..

so you have to "enable twitter plugin" "enter twitter details in blog settings" and "enable under adv blog settings" wow 3 step just to enable a damn plugin ? Thats what i did not guess, sorry bout that -sarcasm-

38 Mar 03, 2010 23:09

Yeah, it is a bit of a pain, but that is just the way that evo does ping plugins.

L

Form is loading...