Recent Topics

1 Jun 10, 2009 23:40    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I would like to edit the display of XML feeds in the sidebar. Currently three feeds are listed each followed by a link for posts and comments. I don't allow comments so I would like to eliminate the link to the comments. Also I would like to replace the text for RSS 2.0 and Atom with appropriate icons. I can't seem to find where these are generated.
Here's my blog: www.jjsviewbox.com/blogs/blog1.php
Thanks for the help.

Jeff

2 Jun 11, 2009 02:50

Hi jwjohnson. Welcome to the forums!

Open /inc/widgets/widgets/_coll_xml_feeds.widget.php and look for something like this:

echo $this->disp_params['item_start'];
echo $Skin->name.': ';
echo '<a href="'.$Blog->get_item_feed_url( $Skin->folder ).'">'.T_('Posts').'</a>, ';
echo '<a href="'.$Blog->get_comment_feed_url( $Skin->folder ).'">'.T_('Comments').'</a>';
echo $this->disp_params['item_end']."\n";

Modify as you see fit :)

3 Jun 11, 2009 14:38

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

4 Jun 11, 2009 19:11

That worked great. Thanks again. Can I move that file into the folder of the skin I'm using so that the normal function is available to other blogs I might start?

5 Jun 11, 2009 19:53

Nope.

That file needs to live exactly where it is so that the widget controller can use it when called for by a container. It is possible to modify a couple of files so that you could have "XML Images Widget" and "XML Text Widget" but I don't know the files off hand. If you're interested I'll dig up the file names and point out the areas you would have to edit.

6 Jun 11, 2009 20:12

maybe we could add to the core: don't show links for comments feeds if comments are disabled on that blog.

7 Jun 11, 2009 20:38

Walter wrote:

maybe we could add to the core: don't show links for comments feeds if comments are disabled on that blog.

That sounds like an easy improvement to the widget file. I reckon an option for image or text wouldn't be so hard either?

8 Jun 11, 2009 20:56

Those sound like good improvements. Thanks again.

9 Jun 11, 2009 23:22

Related question....
How do I prevent _sitemap from showing in the Feeds list?

10 Jun 12, 2009 02:31

Good question. I dropped the skin in favor of the file, but that too should be really easy to add to the widget. Sounds like something to do soon...

11 Jun 12, 2009 15:31

EdB wrote:

I reckon an option for image or text wouldn't be so hard either?

these options will make what exactly?

(I've done the trick to don't show the links for feeds for comments if comments are not allowed)

12 Jun 12, 2009 16:33

The original question here asked about replacing the text with images, but following the link provided shows text. I figure someone might be into the "retro" look and want to use those little 15x88 badges that were so popular back in the 20th century.

Slightly unrelated, I have a cute little "person reading a feed on a toilet" image that I thought about using as the only indication of feeds (eliminating all text-based feed-specific links) because I figure no one copy/pastes feed links into an aggregator. This would be different than allowing an option for text or image for each feed of course. And thinking about it just now, an image option would be a logistic nightmare. The widget would have to allow for 2 images per feed, which means it would have to know how many feeds are available, and maybe only offer one of those options per feed if comments were disabled. So potentially up to 8 fields for image selection.

I wish I knew how to learn stuff. Are there any aggregators that actually need a copy/paste action to get a feed? Can't they just automagically detect it from the <head>? If they can do we need links for feeds at all? If we don't need the feed links for copy/paste then the whole widget is obsolete. A Free HTML with a cute graphic and alt text saying "don't you know what a freakin feed is yet?" would serve the same purpose. Plus someone pooping on my web would make sense. To me ;)

Form is loading...