Recent Topics

1 Jul 12, 2009 20:35    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Hi all,

I'm new to b2evo, so apologies if this is a simple question.

I've created a blog for my family to keep in touch. I would like the posts to be readable only by the members of the blog (my family) so I have set the default post visibility to protected. However, it seems that e-mail notifications are not sent for protected posts (even to members).

If I allow published posts then e-mail notifications are sent, but the posts are visible to anyone who visits the site.

Is there a way that I can turn on e-mail notification for protected posts?

If not, is there another way that I can: a) restrict the posts so that they are readable only by members and b) have e-mail notification for new posts.

Thanks for your help!

2 Jul 14, 2009 19:02

I noticed that 29 people have viewed my original post, but haven't had a response which means that either:
a) there isn't an easy answer, or
b) my question was too basic to acknowledge.
I'm hoping for a)!

I really want e-mail notification for new posts. So, if I can't get e-mail notification for protected posts and have to use published posts, is there a way that I can make published posts readable only by members? For example, can I password protect the entire site in some way?

Many thanks in advance!

3 Jul 14, 2009 19:46

Something that may or may not work is our "protect your blog" plugin. You'd be able to make posts "published" ( they'll automatically be changed to "protected" ) and ... with a smidge of luck, the notifications will be sent out ... I'd have to look through the core files to see if the point where we change published to protected is before or after notifications are issued.

Anyway, if you want to try it then you can download it here : @link [url=http://waffleson.co.uk/2007/10/credits]credits page[/url], just click the tacky green icon next to the plugin to download it ;)

¥

4 Jul 15, 2009 06:06

Thanks for the suggestion, ¥åßßå.

I gave it a try, but it doesn't seem to work. The plugin installation was easy and I came up with the login page immediately on accessing the blog (which didn't happen before), but no e-mail notification. I'm guessing from your last post that the switch from published to protected does happen to early.

My solution is to password protect the blog directory on the server which works, but has one drawback: users need to login once to see the posts and a second time to write a new post, which is a little clunky.

Thanks again!

5 Jul 15, 2009 07:02

Just add the following to the blog's stub file, either blog1.php, blog2.php... or index.php

$login_required = true;

6 Jul 16, 2009 07:26

Thanks sam2kb!

I tried adding:

$login_required = true; 

to the blog stub files, index.php, and a few other files, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Then I found [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=13411]this[/url] previous post to the forum, which suggested placing the line inside conf/_basic_config.php. This seems to do exactly what I wanted: now posts can only be read if the user is logged in and so I can use published posts which means that e-mail notifications will be sent.

My conf/_basic_config.php now has the lines:

# Restrict viewing posts to members only
$login_required = true; 

just before the final assignment:

$config_is_done = 1;

Thanks!!

Form is loading...