Recent Topics

1 Aug 13, 2009 08:01    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3.1-stable

I recently installed b2evo to my web server, which went very smoothly.

I have a blog set up now ([url=http://www.mfvisuals.com/blog/]link[/url]) and I wanted to enable the Tag Cloud widget for that blog. However, the tag cloud does not show up on my sidebar or anywhere else on the site for that matter.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I just noticed the "tags" area under "meta info" at the bottom of the edit post screen and after adding some tags, the tag cloud now appears in the sidebar.

It should be noted though, that in the [url=http://manual.b2evolution.net/Tagcloud_plugin#Installation]b2evolution online manual[/url] the instructions for using the Tag Cloud plugin include this: "Simply add categories to your post using the b2evolution category system. The Tag cloud will be generated using your catgegories."

This does not seem to be the case, although I wish this was how it actually functioned. As of now, I am thinking I may just not bother with the category selection for posts and just add tags instead, especially since I am thinking I will not show the category widget on the sidebar anyway.

If anyone knows why the Tag Cloud does not behave the way mentioned in the online manual or if there is a way to make it behave that way, it would be greatly appreciated.

2 Aug 13, 2009 23:13

Oh! Looks that the b2evolution needs a update ;)

3 Aug 13, 2009 23:24

This plugin is not needed since 2.0

4 Aug 14, 2009 05:13

Walter wrote:

Maybe we are talking about a different widget.

To clarify, I didn't install Tag Cloud from a downloaded plug-in, it was already available after I installed b2evolution (3.3.1) on the server.

Why would an unneeded plugin be included in the installation?
And more importantly, why do you say it is unneeded?

:-/

5 Aug 14, 2009 14:17

Walter wrote:

That has to be a mistake in typing, as mfvisuals has identified. Tags didn't exist in v1.* so that plugin didn't need to exist prior to v2 is more accurate.

The manual needs upgrading, but that is not a surprise. In this case it is a very bad bit of text. That is actually kinda unique in terms of manual errors. It should probably say something like

"Simply add tags to your post using the "tags" text field below your post textarea field. The Tag cloud will be generated using these tags."

7 Aug 14, 2009 18:27

No problem.
Thanks for the responses.

8 Aug 14, 2009 19:11

Actually, the clarification of this brings up another question:

At the bottom of each post, I see a line listing the categories of the post and the tags on the post.

Without any categories selected, I just see "Categories: " with nothing following it. Is there a way to just disable the display of that item on the post?

10 Aug 20, 2009 17:41

Have you tried searching the forums ?

By the way this is only marginally related in that it talks about categories. This thread is about the tag cloud widget and references 'categories' because of an old manual page. I'd suggest searching the forums with particular focus on the [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewforum.php?f=6]Templates, skins, XHTML and CSS[/url] forum.

What you want to do is customize your skin is the thing. It is easily done by editing a file in your skin, but it depends on what your skin and version is so that info in a forum post would be very helpful.

11 Aug 20, 2009 21:28

Actually I did search the forum about 10 times with different queries but I couldn't find anything related to the disabling of categories.

I did find an alternative however. I narrowed down the categories to two items: Blog and Introduction.

All blog posts are under the category "Blog" and my About Me post is under "Introduction".

All other means of displaying categories are disabled from sidebar and menus.

I am happy with the results, although one thing is still a mystery to me: After doing all of that, I still see the "Categories: Blog" at the end of each post, which is fine. But the word "Blog" is a link and when I click it, I am sent to a 404 error page.

I don't understand why it doesn't just send me to a page with all posts marked as in the category Blog (which is all of them). ??

BTW, my blog is [url=http://mfvisuals.com/blog/]over here[/url].

Form is loading...