Recent Topics

1 Aug 13, 2009 08:32    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I haven't noticed this until today...

Yesterday while I was upgrading my first b2evo blog, my host just finished upgrading the servers. Probably it was during that time when I run the upgrade and b2evo's tables were upgraded to InnoDB.

Then the host switched off InnoDB (they don't really allow InnoDB in the first place, again it might be in that small window after their system upgrade when InnoDB was still on).

Now I can not access my blog because the InnoDB tables are now locked as "in use".

How can I switch it back to myISAM?

And can I make a suggestion? The ability to choose myISAM or InnoDB or whatever other DB formats there are right on the install/upgrade page?

Thanks for any help.

2 Aug 13, 2009 15:55

And can I make a suggestion? The ability to choose myISAM or InnoDB or whatever other DB formats there are right on the install/upgrade page?

I think you can change it in one of the config files. probably in _advanced.php

How can I switch it back to myISAM?

Either from phpmyadmin or directly from mysql, use this syntax

ALTER TABLE table_name ENGINE = MYISAM;

You can also do it from hacks.php

DB->query('ALTER TABLE T_blogs ENGINE = MYISAM');

3 Aug 13, 2009 16:55

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I checked _advanced.php but I can't seem to find anything related to switching from InnoDB to MyISAM.. I'll check again, I may have missed it.

And thanks for the syntax and hacks.php

--
My host now told me it was disabled because I used InnoDB and it generated high server load.. when I checked InnoDB was disabled on the server.

Also, when I upgraded gameshogun.ws to an RC release, nothing happened with the MyISAM to InnoDB change issued by the b2evo upgrade script - since InnoDB was turned-off server side.

So I just upgraded normally to the stable release under that assumption. Apparently, there was a server upgrade prior to my upgrade, it is my view that when I ran the upgrade script they still haven't turned-off InnoDB so the tables got upgraded.

Then after they turned it off, that's when the problem started. That's when I tried to check stuff, and when I first noticed the change from MyISAM to InnoDB was successful.

I tried to compare it with my localhost b2evolution and I noticed the "In Use" tables on gameshogun.ws are very similar to the tables that were switched to InnoDB on my localhost. It was really InnoDB.

My host, doing their own tracing independently of me, figure the same thing. They re-enabled InnoDB and waited for me to change it back to MyISAM so they can disable it again.

But in their eyes, the story is different as I've said earlier. As far as my experience goes, the script will fail "silently" if the storage engine it is being changed to has been disabled server side. So the only way my upgrade yesterday worked as the b2evolution upgrade script intended was, I upgraded at that moment when InnoDB was still available server side.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I hope this will be taken in a positive note ^_^ for the betterment of b2evolution.

I'll use MyISAM until I get to the point when I really have to use InnoDB. And for laibcoms.asia/blog/ it will serve as my "InnoDB experience/testbed".

Not to mention, the US Dollar is expensive here in the Eastern Hemisphere, so I really have to stay with "low end" hosting, until they kicked me out. Once they do, then I'll move one level higher :p (And still use MyISAM since InnoDB is really known - as far as I've read - to really cause high server load.)

I am strongly suggesting the inclusion of an option to select InnoDB or MyISAM on installation and upgrade scripts. :)

4 Aug 25, 2009 21:38

I upgraded yesterday and immediately my server was SLOW.
Yabba adviced me to switch all my tables back to MyISAM, and that was the sollution for the 'SLOW'-problem.

Now I notice strange behaviour in my plugins...

5 Sep 08, 2009 07:08

Yep, from what I've read InnoDB requires more memory than MyISAM. The other host I'm with (for gameshogun.ws) also mentioned the same thing (and I got striked for that T_T - when it was a collection of events and timing like them turning on InnoDB).

So if your server wasn't setup to handle the load of InnoDB it is possible that it will get really slow. Until it is adjusted, MyISAM is a better choice. (Personally, unless there's a need to switch to InnoDB, the blog owner should stick with MyISAM.)

Form is loading...