Recent Topics

1 Sep 03, 2009 16:09    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

I was wondering if I had thousands of users in b2evolution with many of them logged in at the same time using all of the hundreds of blogs we plan on having if it will slow b2evolution down in a way that will make b2 so slow it will be un-bearable.

Thanks,

Joe

2 Sep 03, 2009 23:51

That depends.

What permissions do these thousands of users have, and what are they all doing with hundreds of blogs at the same time? Oh and what kind of stuff have you done to your theoretical hundreds of skins that might bog down your server?

3 Sep 04, 2009 15:06

We will be using b2 for a school blog system. Teachers (about 200) will each have their own blog that they have access/rights to. We would also like to give students their own accounts (a little over 2,000) so they can post comments if needed.

Also we will only have 1 or 2 skins being used.

Thanks,
Joe

4 Sep 04, 2009 21:13

intranet or regular real-world web? Intranet only sounds like no problem. www means you'll have a lot more than 2000 visitors potentially.

Plus I'm not sure if the students need accounts in the blog engine to leave comments. Especially if it is intranet. If it is www then giving them accounts means if teachers post as 'protected' then only students (who have accounts in the installation and are members of the blog the teacher posts into) will be able to see the posts ... and the comments and the comment form.

I don't know v331 at all, but back in the old days there was no pagination of users, so anyone who hits the Users tab would have to see all 2200 registered members on one page. THAT would be a heck of a load on a server eh?

Anyway intranet sounds like no problem because you only need accounts for teachers. Students could comment without accounts as long as they were in the intranet. www means it sounds like a big install but I'm pretty sure b2evo is up to the task. Just don't pick skins with tons of stuff in them. Or more accurately don't put tons of widgets on your skin and don't add a ton of rendering plugins. All those different doodads mean more and more work for the server, obviously.

I think v331 is (in general) nicer to servers than v247 was. I could be wrong on that, but I think that is one of the better aspects of the brave new world.

5 Sep 08, 2009 15:13

Okay, I like those guidelines. They seem pretty easy to follow. Also, we don't want teachers to see "My Profile" (Where they edit their password, user name, etc...) Is there any way to disable this?

Thanks,

Joe

6 Sep 09, 2009 00:55

Yes but you will have to modify core files to do that. Seems silly though. I mean, what's the possible point of not letting someone change their email address as need be? Anyway there is to the best of my knowledge no "click this" method. You would have to modify core files and find a place to add in a permissions check appropriate for what you want to do.

Form is loading...