Recent Topics

1 Nov 16, 2009 01:13    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3.1

When i share a post on facebook, facebook scans the post, then my post title is changed to the website address and instead of the first few lines of the post, it repeats the homepage webaddress of the blog.

pictures are also excluded from the "share"

all i get is:

(instead of post title) www.webaddress.com/homepage
(instead of post description or an excerpt of the post) www.webaddress.com/homepage
no pictures show up even when im sharing a picture post!

i have messed about with SEO settings for blogs now for more than 4 hours... its starting to irritate!
ta

2 Nov 16, 2009 10:53

Hi

I have to say that I always thought Facebook looked for the correct parts of a webpage to pull out what it needed. I have seen it mess up the image part of a post before but it mostly got things right. I have no idea why it wouldn't be able to find the right information on your site :( A link to your site might help?

I have just had a quick look on the interweb and found this page:

http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Facebook_Share/Specifying_Meta_Tags

Specifically:

n order to make sure that the preview is always correctly populated, you should add the tags shown below to your HTML. An example news story could have the following:

<meta name="title" content="Smith hails 'unique' Wable legacy" />
<meta name="description" content="John Smith claims beautiful football is the main legacy of Akhil Wable's decade at the club. " />
<link rel="image_src" href="http://www.onjd.com/design05/images/PH2/WableAFC205.jpg" />

As shown, title contains the preview title, description contains the preview summary and image_src contains the preview image. Please make sure that none of the content fields contain any HTML markup because it will be stripped out. For consistency's sake, please use the tag to provide text data for the preview, and the tag for any source URLs.
The title and summary tags are the minimum requirements for any preview, so make sure to include these two.

It seems that Facebook will try and do its best to find the info it needs but you can actually specify meta tags to tell it what it needs. B2evo won't have these out of the box other than the description so make sure you specify this in the backoffice for your blog and individual posts.

You can add the title one by opening up the file called _html_header.inc.php either in your skin folder (/skins/yourskin) or if there isn't a file called that in there use the one in the /skins folder itself. Once you have that open look for a line that says :

<title><?php
		// ------------------------- TITLE FOR THE CURRENT REQUEST -------------------------
		request_title( array(
			'auto_pilot'      => 'seo_title',
		) );
		// ------------------------------ END OF REQUEST TITLE -----------------------------
	?></title>

and add this below it:

<meta name="title" content="<?php request_title( array( 'auto_pilot'      => 'seo_title',) ); ?>"/>

Save the file and upload it to your server. Hopefully that will make the title display correctly.

L

3 Nov 16, 2009 11:43

thanks for that,

sadly, it hasnt sorted the problem.

now when i view source, it shows the meta tag as the blog page or individual post title.
still facebook shows the header for a few seconds whilst it looks at the share link, then reverts back to the website address.
still no excerpt from post or picture either.

i modified the BAE plugin, to use "add this" button to all posts, even when sharing with this on facebook i get the same results.
i have looked at other b2evo websites, and clicked on their share links to share it on facebook, all their posts come up with: post title - first few lines of post plus a picture

have a look at the site:
http://www.frugalways.co.uk

thanks again for the help

5 Nov 16, 2009 15:13

yep, i read through a few threads before i posted.
normally it is something i have missed, but ive been through every setting in the back office, the best i can do is send a link to share on fb, it shows the post title whilst (i presume it scans my website?) then reverts to home page web address

it must be something in the settings or set up i think, as both share button and add this button are having the same problems.

thanks anyway

T

6 Nov 16, 2009 17:08

it has just occured to me...

my website is using 5 blogs on one domain, which would explain why when i try to "share" a link, say on blog 4, facebook shows just the default blog web address when it tracks back for information and pictures.

so although it shows the standard web address, instead of blog title, the link does direct to the post... but there would be no way anyone reading the link would know this.
im thinking that it may have something to do with a multiblog set up now....

7 Nov 18, 2009 01:42

this has totally stumped me.

it must be a multi blog issue, default blog is listing on search engines, but without tagline - other blogs on same domain are nowhere to be seen. it appears all traffic is diverting back to default page and sharing on facebook always reverts to default blog and takes the website address (instead of blog post title) from there.

this has me beat, if anyone has any idea of what might sort this id be eternally gratefull, as it appears not only to be an issue with facebook sharing, but also affects search engine listings

thanks

Form is loading...