Recent Topics

1 Feb 15, 2010 05:47    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

I'm running 2.4.6.

I have three blogs on my website. All three have "custom" skins but those custom skins are almost the same.

On my main blog, the RSS feed works. Skin is called "custom."
On my photo blog, the RSS feed works. Skin is called "myskin."
On my Korean language blog, the RSS feed doesn't work. Skin is called "customkorean." This is the link to the blog: http://www.amandatakesoff.com/b2evolution1/index.php/koreannotebook/ When I try to subscribe to an RSS feed, I get this error:

XML Parsing Error: XML declaration not well-formed
Location: http://www.amandatakesoff.com/b2evolution1/index.php/koreannotebook/?tempskin=_rss2
Line Number 1, Column 31:<?xml version="1.0" encoding=""?><!-- generator="b2evolution/2.4.6" -->
------------------------------^

I have no idea what this means.

My husband thinks I need to change something to ?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"? . Which would be OK if I knew WHAT I am supposed to change.

When I try to subscribe through Atom, it works on the main blog and photo blog. But when I try on the Korean blog a box pops up that says

You have chosen to open

which is a: application/atom+xml

What should Firefox do with this file... blah blah open/save dialog.

Here's what I've checked so far:
I've changed the Korean language blog skin to the other skins that I know work. That doesn't solve anything.

I tried changing the Korean language blog skin to B2Evo's installed skins figuring maybe I deleted something in my customkorean skin in my tinkering. That didn't work.

I've checked that all three blogs have the same feed settings in Blog Settings--> Features. They do.

In Blog Settings--> Widgets all three skins have XML Feeds widget in the sidebar.

When I try to edit the widget settings, they're the exact same for all three.

When I click on each feed from each blog, they all end up being ---blog/?tempskin=_rss2, but the Korean language one is the only one I can't get the RSS to work on.

I even changed the short name of my blog in Blog Settings--> General thinking maybe the Hanguel was somehow throwing it off. That didn't work either.

And I've been dumping my cache and all that to see if any of these changes make sense.

I've also searched B2Evo's help and tried Google-fu, but if the answer is here, I either can't find it or can't understand it.

I am really at a loss here.

Please help me so I can help the two people in the world who are interested in a Korean-language blog about studying Korean and dealing with a Korean mother-in-law can subscribe to my brilliant posts. :lol:

Thank you!

2 Feb 15, 2010 17:53

You could use a third-party RSS server like Feedburner. It is free and pretty much transparent.

I suspect this would automatically sort out your encoding problems, which are notoriously tricky in RSS.

3 Feb 15, 2010 23:10

Wow. I think I fixed it. Or at least screwed it up enough so it'd work. My husband was right when he said I needed to replace something with "?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?"

Even though it was right there in the error message I couldn't figure out WHERE the error was until I used Feed Validator. I then went into _rss2 and edited both file (comments and index) so that they had ?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?. I did the same in Atom. It appears to work from our house, at least.

I have no idea why that didn't mess up the main blog or the photo blog since there was only ONE _rss2/_atom folder and I would assume all the blogs were calling on it.

Filthio, I'm still going to check out FeedBurner, though. Thanks for telling me about it.

Form is loading...