Recent Topics

1 Apr 09, 2010 18:43    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3.3 Not Entered

Installed new 3.3.3 software. Tried uploading images with file manager. File manager is not creating thumbnails for the uploaded files.

Had some thumbnails of the same images from a different blog. Uploaded those and they show up in the file manager. So the thumbnail display function is working fine.

Why would the file manager not create a thumbnail for newly uploaded images?

Thanks

2 Apr 09, 2010 19:32

php needs write permissions for /media/blogs/ && /media/users/

¥

4 Apr 10, 2010 01:20

Assuming crap hosting? you need to change your folder perms to 0777 ..... if it was me, I'd move from any host that required those perms. Your choice ;)

¥

5 Apr 10, 2010 05:01

Why are people today so abnormal? Why can't they answer a straight question with a straight answer?

Why don't I assume the B2Evo software is crap? Why does it have to be the hosting that is crap?

Why can't you answer the question? I asked "How specifically". "Change folder permissions" doesn't tell me that. I had to use Filezilla, click on the folder, then notice there was a permissions field at the bottom of the list of choices. I didn't know that. Why couldn't you just tell me instead of making your insulting remarks?

After changing the permission from 705 to 777, when a file is uploaded there is still no thumbnail being created. So I guess the B2Evo software must be crap right? There cannot be a problem that needs to be fixed with a solution. B2Evo is just crap software.

I am not moving from my webhost on the advice of a rude individual who insults strangers and cannot even answer a simple direct question. An individual who is so slow they cannot imagine that there are people in this world that don't know everything that they know.

Grow up.

6 Apr 10, 2010 06:38

For anyone interested, in the Display properties for the file manager there is a checkbox for showing permissions. It will show either number permissions like 777 or long form permissions like rw-rw-rw-.

I reinstalled the software and there is still no thumbnail. Tried installing the 3.3.1 sofware and no luck either. The permissions for the media/blogs and media/users folders were set to 777 with FileZilla.

When setting up the database there is an option for "allowing outside access to database". I chose no because that was the recomended option. Maybe that should be set to yes?

I gave up and wrote to the hosting company. I told them the blog people said their hosting was crap and it was their problem. I am actually quite interested in what their reply will be.

7 Apr 10, 2010 10:06

Yay, consider my wrist suitably slapped

Any host that requires 0777 perms for writing files is crap and I wouldn't give them my money.

Before you get all emotional again you should maybe try researching and finding out *why* 0777 is crap, but I'll save you some google time. Requiring 0777 perms means that not only is your web vulnerable to any flaws in any of the software that *you* install (which is a problem everyone has, no matter how cool their hosting) it also means that your web is vulnerable to any flaws in any software that any of the users on the same server as your web has installed. You may be diligent, are the thousands of others on the same box as you equally diligent?

Like I said, your choice.

The folders that need to be 0777 are /media/ /media/blogs/ /media/users/ and any/all sub-folders that they contain.

As it happens, I also think that evo 3.x+ is crap and wouldn't install it on any of my servers as it's full of spyware and spam ;)

¥

8 Apr 10, 2010 19:11

"Before you get all emotional again"

I am curious. How do you react to people insulting you?

Are you one of those doormat people that stands there? If you are, can you tell me what holding your reaction inside of you does to your health? Seems like it would eat away at your insides and make you sick?

It does me. After all. An insult is verbal poison isn't it? The body reacts to the verbal insult as if it had received some kind of physical trauma.

Why should I stand there and experience physical trauma because another individual is malicious and abusive? Why don't I just give the physical trauma back to the guy? I don't want it.

9 Apr 10, 2010 19:36

Happeh wrote:

I am curious. How do you react to people insulting you?

I normally just laugh and shrug it off ;)

I do apologise if you feel insulted, that wasn't my intention, but if you found my posts insulting then you're going to find the internet a harsh and brutal place.

¥

10 Apr 10, 2010 19:37

@Happeh: you are overreacting, all he said was you had a crappy hosting, dont know why it got you that much, and he is quite right, you should not -need to- make your file/folder permissons 777 by any means..

11 Apr 10, 2010 20:09

I think I found the problem. I think the webhost hates B2E.

I could swear they used to have B2 in their list of software they would install for you. I just looked and they don't have it listed anymore. When I wrote to tech support they brushed me off. They are usually pretty helpful.

I just used the software on one website at the host and it works fine. Tried the same thing on the new software install on the new website at the same host and it puts up .png instead of a thumbnail. I checked the directory and it is not creating the .evocache directory where the thumbnails go.

I was gonna dump B2 for Wordpress but Wordpress image management sucks. Then I can't get the B2 file management to work. ;)

Somebody must be trying to tell me to use some other blog software. Guess I will be experimenting today. ;)

12 Apr 10, 2010 20:14

Just for kicks, try upping your memory limit in /conf/advanced.php, you never know your luck.

I *really* would advise you to stick with 2.4.7 instead of 3.x series, unless you kill the spyware by adding "$allow_evo_stats = false;" to you /conf/_basic_config.php

¥

13 Apr 10, 2010 21:41

Check the box "Apply to all folders" when you set permissions on media directory ;)

14 Apr 11, 2010 09:57

The software works on a website that allows only one domain name.

The problem website allows multiple domain names to point to it. I don't know if that is part of the problem or not. The tech support people don't seem too bright.

I went to media directory and changed it to 777 with recurse all directories checked. It will not create a thumbnail. Does whatever function that creates the thumbnails need access to some other folder perhaps to run the thumbnail creation function?

I just now changed every directory to 777 to see if that answered the above question. It still doesn't work.

When creating the database for the multi domain capable site, it asks if I need a database with outside access. Do I? I clicked no because that is what it recomended.

15 Apr 11, 2010 17:06

The world really is going to hell. After asking for help here and being insulted I tried the support people at the website. They are either too stupid to figure out the problem or they can't be bothered.

The software works on a one domain hosting account. When the software is installed on a shared hosting account it won't work.

If you can believe it, the hosting people said it is not their problem because it is a third party application. There is obviously something different between their single hosting and shared hosting plans that is interfering with the B2 installer and/or functions. I think they don't know what the difference is so they told me to get lost by invoking "third party application".

I guess my question now is "Is there a difference in the installation or operation of B2E when it is used in a shared hosting environment. Shared hosting environment meaning other domain names can point to folders within the main website.

16 Apr 11, 2010 19:01

I can believe it when they say "3rd party software == zero help", I binned a host after I spent 6 weeks trying to convince them that they needed to make a setting change and it wasn't a fault in my software ( even linked them to the ms page that said "this error is because you forgot to tick this box when setting up iis, rectify it by...." )

6 bloody weeks, I took my money elsewhere, same as I would for any crap hosting

Anyway, to answer your question, no, evo runs the same on all hosting, it's limited only by server settings. It *might* be worth comparing the phpinfo() for working/non-working installs.

I hope you get over the insult bit, it's starting to become boring and I'm about one step away from ignoring this thread and leaving you to solve your own problems. I already apologised for unintentionally upsetting you and if you can't get over it then it's no skin off my nose.

¥

17 Apr 11, 2010 19:16

I just now changed every directory to 777 to see if that answered the above question. It still doesn't work.

This is a very bad idea!

I guess my question now is "Is there a difference in the installation or operation of B2E when it is used in a shared hosting environment. Shared hosting environment meaning other domain names can point to folders within the main website.

Some cheap or free hostings disable PHP functions either for security reasons or to force their users to upgrade to a more expensive plan.

In b2evo control panel go to Tools > System page and see if there are any warnings about PHP memory or GD library.

18 Apr 12, 2010 03:49

Hello Happeh. Are you really happeh? I'm happeh if you're happeh ;)

Dig this: there are 2 risks to changing permissions to 777. First is that a malicious user who has an account with your host and happens to be on the same server as you can get in to your space because you've given the permissions. Once in they can either edit your files to satisfy their malicious intent, or create files that do their dirty deeds. This is what happened to me eons ago. The second risk is that an upstanding honorable citizen who happens to have space on the server you're on chooses to use crappy code that allows a malicious criminal access to their space, which in turn allows them access to your space.

Thus, 777 is a bad thing. There is a very simple cure for this and any host worth more than a polite "no thank you but do have a wondrously delightful day" will throw some serious suphp on yo shit. Thus eliminating the need for 777 because it is like local magic fairy dust or something.

As to your original problem, it goes back to this: your host sucks. That means you have to decide if you want to find something that works on a sucky host, or change hosts for something you've chosen. Either way, stop at 247 till you learn how to stop all evo's spyware and spam.

Best wishes in your general direction!

19 Apr 16, 2010 19:07

¥åßßå wrote:

I hope you get over the insult bit, it's starting to become boring
¥

I was done with you the minute your exposed your offhand malicious attitudes towards strangers.

¥åßßå wrote:

I'm about one step away from ignoring this thread and leaving you to solve your own problems.
¥

Oh Boo Hoo. I have already solved my own problem. Without having to endure your arrogance and maliciousness.

¥åßßå wrote:

I already apologised for unintentionally upsetting you and if you can't get over it then it's no skin off my nose.
¥

You are a rude, malicious, abusive individual who is unconcerned about the feelings of others. I just read a few more of your vicious malicious posts to other strangers. It is not just me you are rude and malicious to. You are rude and malicious to everyone.

You really are not as smart as you think you are. I also found a post where you told someone to look for something that wasn't even there.

I am guessing your "expert advice" to me was probably just as useful.

20 Apr 16, 2010 19:11

EdB wrote:

As to your original problem, it goes back to this: your host sucks. That means you have to decide if you want to find something that works on a sucky host, or change hosts for something you've chosen. Either way, stop at 247 till you learn how to stop all evo's spyware and spam.
!

They brainwash you ed or are you being sarcastic? I saw your other post where the Bimbo and Sam ganged up on you saying your host was crap and you were too stupid to believe it.

I am going to WordPress. I asked a question over there and a very nice, sophisticated, cultured, educated man answered my question in a pleasant tone and voice. After he answered my question he said to "Please come again and ask me if you have any other problems"

I can get educated, cultured, polite and courteous help from WordPress forums, or I can be abused by the malicious haters at the B2E forums.

Which would you choose?

21 Apr 16, 2010 20:11

Happeh wrote:

¥åßßå wrote:

I hope you get over the insult bit, it's starting to become boring
¥

I was done with you the minute your exposed your offhand malicious attitudes towards strangers.

¥åßßå wrote:

I'm about one step away from ignoring this thread and leaving you to solve your own problems.
¥

Oh Boo Hoo. I have already solved my own problem. Without having to endure your arrogance and maliciousness.

¥åßßå wrote:

I already apologised for unintentionally upsetting you and if you can't get over it then it's no skin off my nose.
¥

You are a rude, malicious, abusive individual who is unconcerned about the feelings of others. I just read a few more of your vicious malicious posts to other strangers. It is not just me you are rude and malicious to. You are rude and malicious to everyone.

You really are not as smart as you think you are. I also found a post where you told someone to look for something that wasn't even there.

I am guessing your "expert advice" to me was probably just as useful.

Lol, you get pissed because you feel insulted but you're happy to insult ... I'd guess that makes you a hypocrite, but what would I know, I'm just some poor dumb blonde who's inexpert advice is based on 5 years of helping on these forums and 4 years of being one of the devs that coded the software that I was trying to help you with.

Good luck with wordpress, personally I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole because the codebase is fugly and full of security holes.

And I would still advise you change the host that you're paying, one day you'll get hacked, even sooner now you're switching to WP, and you'll lose everything, and we've seen what your hosting support is like already huh? ;)

¥

22 Apr 16, 2010 20:11

Happeh wrote:

I am going to WordPress. I asked a question over there and a very nice, sophisticated, cultured, educated man answered my question in a pleasant tone and voice. After he answered my question he said to "Please come again and ask me if you have any other problems"

I can get educated, cultured, polite and courteous help from WordPress forums, or I can be abused by the malicious haters at the B2E forums.

Which would you choose?

Clever choice, natural selection really does a good job sometimes

Form is loading...