Recent Topics

1 Apr 28, 2010 20:49    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Thank you very much for this application, I'm really enjoying setting it up and using it, it's going to be great for my needs. I'm basically using it like a research notebook with a small set of users who can access privileged content and a larger set who see more general reference material.

I'm using version 2.4.1, and the b2eviant skin. The 2.4.1 version was automatically installable by my hosting service, as an option.

Here's one small problem that I've encountered in testing:

I created a new group named "Delta" and populated it with three users. I wrote some blog entries as the primary owner/user, and set some of those entries to "protected" status.

The 3 user ID's in the Delta group could not see the protected content.

After doing a lot of searching I read elsewhere in this forum that the word "members" is not synonymous with "users", and that I would have to change administrative permissions settings to "Advanced" to see what "members" were, and to allow my registered "users" to see the protected content.

This still didn't work. So then on a hunch, I moved the users out of the "Delta" group into the b2evolution predefined "Basic" group, and then it did work.

So it looks like admin created groups can not see protected content, even if Advanced Permissions is turned on.

Or perhaps I'm missing a method of allowing that.

If so, I do wonder if all of this could be simplified for newcomer setup and new user purposes, so that protected content is visible to all registered users, rather than the special unseen category of members. Since most of us intuitively (and wrongly) assume they are the same thing when we see the "Protected (Members only)" option while writing a post, and we don't know about the "Advanced Permissions" toggle.

Thanks again.

2 May 03, 2010 22:46

So it looks like admin created groups can not see protected content, even if Advanced Permissions is turned on.

Try to compare group settings on both Users and Blog settings tabs.

3 May 06, 2010 17:17

sam2kb wrote:

Try to compare group settings on both Users and Blog settings tabs.

Thanks very much sam2kb.

I just created a new group called newgroup and a new user in the group testuser. I checked the group settings against the Basic Users default settings, and they are identical. I even took snapshots of the settings to post here, but it doesn't look like this forum accepts image attachments. Anyway they are exactly the same.

When testuser belongs to the newgroup group, it cannot see restricted content. When testuser is then switched to become a member of Basic Users, it can see restricted content. It is reversible and repeatable.

Created groups do not seem to be able to contain "members."

And as a second problem, as I said before, members ought to be everyone who is registered, or people will be confused when the default b2evolution "write" checkbox viewing restrictions don't work at all. (They require turning on "advanced permissions, and understanding that "members" means something other than registered users.)

Form is loading...