Recent Topics

1 Jun 04, 2010 08:10    

My b2evolution Version:

version: 3.3.3 (why doesn't 3.3.3 appear in the "b2evo version" dropdown?)

Usually I'm pretty good at figuring computer things out, but sidebar links are pretty confusing. I go to manage > sidebar links, add a new link, and here's where it loses me I would have expected a field where I put in the URL. Instead there is an editor just like a regular post. So I put in the link to the desired site and save the post as "published."

Then I go to blog settings > widgets, add the simple sidebar links widget. Then when I view the blog, the link appears in the sidebar -- OK. But... when I click on the link, it doesn't go to the URL. Instead the page title is "Invalid request" and the page says only "Sorry, there is nothing to display..."

I also looked at the documentation in the manual for the linkblog, but it seems to be out of date. http://manual.b2evolution.net/.9.2_Linkblog

What I'm really after is to have a link on the side that will go back to the homepage of my website (the blog is just one area).

Thanks.
James

http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words/blog5.php (but the link is hidden now)

2 Jun 04, 2010 17:25

Instead there is an editor just like a regular post. So I put in the link to the desired site and save the post as "published."

At the top of said editor will be two tabs labeled "Simple" and "Expert". If you click the "Expert" tab... all will be revealed. ;)

3 Jun 05, 2010 11:12

Ah... got it. Sidebar links don't work unless you enable an advanced feature :)

Interface design issue? It was pretty confusing for me... maybe the editor could be smart enough to know that it should automatically open in expert mode for link-type posts.

Thanks!

4 Jun 13, 2010 23:19

I'm also having difficulty with this and cannot get my blogroll to appear.

I have done this:

I've gone to Manage > sidebar links. Then I write a post with the url to the blog I want to lilst in both the title and in the body of the post, and change the post type to sidebar link.

When I press publish and check my blog, all that appears is the word "Links" and a small black sqaure.

I have enabled the Simple sidebar links widget.

Could anyone say what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Cliff

5 Jun 14, 2010 00:20

loobyloo wrote:

I'm also having difficulty with this and cannot get my blogroll to appear.

You won't be able to use the Sidebar Links Widget to show a remote blogroll of any kind. It will only show the list of Sidebar Link posts that you have created within your blog.

loobyloo wrote:

Then I write a post with the url to the blog I want to lilst in both the title and in the body of the post, and change the post type to sidebar link.

You want to put the title of the link in the 'Title:' field and the url of the link in the 'Link to url:' field... the 'Link to url:' field will be visible when you switch to the 'Expert' tab of the editor -- which you have already done if you're seeing the post 'Type:' combobox.

Nothing needs to go in the body of the post.

Putting the url in the Title field and leaving the URL field empty. ;)

6 Jun 14, 2010 12:01

*removed shoes is the newest innovation from Vibram, the world’s top sole provider for big footwear brands like Red Wing Shoes, Nike-ACG, La Sportiva, and Meindl. First introduced by Industrial Designer Robert Fliri to Vibram President Marco Bramani,
Five fingers takes the shape of your feet, giving it the freedom that it should naturally have while being assured of its comfort and protection. “When you’re wearing these *removed, it’s like putting your feet in a cast, so when you’re wearing them, you’re not exactly able to use your muscles in your feet and legs,” says Juan Carlos Abad, Chief Executive Officer of Barefootwear, Inc, the Philippines’ official distributor of Fivefingers. “By removing your shoes, you can give them the freedom to move around and move about, and make use of all of your muscles in all of your toes.”
For sports enthusiasts, this unique pair of shoes is a good companion. Doing an activity right after another can be bothersome if you have to change footwear from time to time, but you don’t have to go through that with Fivefingers. Last month, I bought a [*removed for Running in the morning, it makes me feel running is a pleasure.

7 Jun 14, 2010 15:27

You want to put the title of the link in the 'Title:' field and the url of the link in the 'Link to url:' field... the 'Link to url:' field will be visible when you switch to the 'Expert' tab of the editor -- which you have already done if you're seeing the post 'Type:' combobox.

Nothing needs to go in the body of the post.

Putting the url in the Title field and leaving the URL field empty. ;)

OK - I still can't get this to work. This is what I have done.

Manage > Sidebar links > New Link [on Expert tag]

In Link to URL I have typed http://somelink.com

The only title fields that appear are under Advanced properties, where it has the fields.

URL title "slug":
<title> tag:

On pressing Save and Publilsh (or whatever it is) it appears on my blog like this:
http://www.loobynet.co.uk/images/b2_link_prob.jpg
It

10 Jun 14, 2010 20:50

Go to your 'Blog Settings'... select the 'Features' tab. In the 'Post Options' --> 'Post titles' section, choose something other than 'Never'. ;)

11 Jun 15, 2010 19:38

Great, that works. Thanks for your help with this BLC.

12 Jun 15, 2010 23:00

Not a problem. ;)

13 Jul 20, 2010 23:51

b2evo 3.3.3 [url=http://cheerfulthanks.com]CheerfulThanks.com[/url] -- Where do I get the link from to post a sidebar link? I got the widgets (simple and universal) showing ok. The link title shows in the sidebar but when I click on link in sidebar, it says there is nothing to display here. I get external links to work with the sidebar links but not blog posts. I have taken the url from a normal blog post (both absolute and relative) and converted the post to a sidebar link and still get the same message that there is nothing to display. I have used the "expert" editor mode, filled in title, url and body w/o getting something to display.

Any idea where I missed the boat?

Thanks,

~~Ray

14 Jul 21, 2010 01:19

I'm a little confused by your post, but it seems you want a link to one of your own blog posts to appear (and function) in a Simple Sidebar Links List widget. Is this correct?

It shouldn't be hard, but I'm having a hard time imagining why you would want to do this. You would have to create a Sidebar Link post for every regular post you want to show in a sidebar list... not very efficient. But, it does work with the permanent url of the post entered into the 'Link to' field of a Sidebar Link post... I just checked.

Shouldn't you be looking at the Simple Post List widget if you want links to your posts to appear in a sidebar? ;)

15 Jul 21, 2010 09:30

Thank you BLC for responding. Yes, I must confess I am confused somewhat. It is not the regular posts I want to link to, it is a description of the site (the current first post), some how-to's, and sidebar info and comments much like "static" pages. The BIG sticky currently seen first on the site I want to display on its own page (a page that currently says "Sorry but there is nothing to display here"). I cannot get that first post to display where it says, "Sorry but there is nothing to display here." I get the sidebar link created but when I click the link... "Sorry, etc."

Accomplishing that will clear the center main post area for "business" type posts and not be cluttered with site purpose and miscelaneous how-to's. It is that first large post I want to send to the "Sorry,..." page. That will get the visitor directly into the "meat" of the site. The sidebar links I wish to use as the "side" explanations of the website. Those will not be regular posts. I get the links ok but the links open to a page displaying, "Sorry, there is nothing to display here." How do I get them to open on the "Sorry..." page?

When I tried putting the absolute (and relative) link in the link input box of the expert text editor for posts, it did not work for me. I will try again however in light of it having worked for you.

Being new to b2evo I had not made the distinction between "Simple Sidebar Links List widget" and the "Simple Post List widget." But with your help, I have a new direction to look into. Perhaps the Post link widget will work for my initial introductory post as I wish it to open in that separate "Sorry, ..." page separate from the main content. That will put it on a page all by itself.

The page that displays "Sorry, there is nothing to show here" or to that affect is what I am looking for. It would display only that one post, kind of like a separate page for that one post. Part of my confusion is in not knowing just how b2evo should work. So I have these expectations which are not reality based. Your distinctive suggestion gives me more to explore. I will do so and report back.

Thank you very much BLC!

~~Ray :)

16 Jul 21, 2010 14:30

Ah, I see.

If you're new to b2evo and php programming, the easiest way to achieve what you're wanting may be to use an Intro post (Intro-main post type) for what you are describing as "the BIG sticky." It will only appear on the homepage.

Then use Pages (post type) to create your "explanations of the website" and "Howtos". You can use a Simple Page List Widget to display links to those pages in your sidebar.

All of that can be achieved without messing around with urls entered via the 'Link to' field.

To create a completely static homepage, you're looking at creating a stub file (php programming).

17 Jul 22, 2010 13:42

OK BLC. I do knot know php but do muddle my way thru some files sometimes. What you explained looks straightforward enough. I will do that.

I currently have it set up as Intro-main post type. I will change that to a page w/ sidebar link (I hope).

I want to avoid that "sticky" so I will create that intro as a page and try to attach it to the #1 link in the sidebar. Kewell!!!

Thank you BLC!!!

~~Ray

18 Jul 22, 2010 14:40

Got it Finally!!! Sheeeesh!!!

I had to go back and re-read your instructions. Sheeesh, I am getting bad in my old age,,,lol.

Thank you so very much BLC, as I would have never figured that out on my own.

Cheers,

~~Ray

19 Jul 22, 2010 14:54

Forget sidebar links. Something typed in the body of a sidebar link post is pointless... it's just not used. You want to create Pages. Then add a Simple Page list widget to your sidebar.

EDIT: I see you already figured it out. ;)

20 Jul 23, 2010 00:39

Thank You BLC. Your help means a lot to me and I sincerely appreciate your time and help kind sir.

Thank You Again!

Have a GREAT Day!!!

~~Ray :)

P.S. "I'll be back!!!"

21 Jul 23, 2010 01:46

No problem. :)

Form is loading...