Recent Topics

1 Jun 19, 2010 02:24    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hello,
I am new to blogging and I couldn't find any answers to my problems in docs or other forum posts, so I hope someone here can help. And if you reply, please keep in mind I'm not some sort of expert programmer and don't have any background knowledge on this other than what I read on the doc pages.
My blog has one category (Detailing Supply Reviews). That is where I will post reviews on detailing supplies. I don't want them visible on the home page, I just want them visible when you click on that category link. The problem is that A: They are appearing on the homepage and all I want on the homepage is a fairly blank post that just says 'welcome to my website' or something like that so I can put affiliate ads on it and B: If you click on Detailing Supply Reviews in the category list, you get the Host Gator screen saying 404 page not found.
So, I am assuming that I didn't do something right when creating categories, and maybe I should have a second category that is just the welcome for the home page.
I have the most recent version of b2 because I downloaded it today, and my website is www.elissasportal.com

2 Jun 19, 2010 23:06

there is a setting in the admin that you can specify number of posts shown on homepage, you can set it to 1, and only display a "welcome" post, or you can delete the 'post loop' in your index.main.php file and enter your welcome message manually while you are at it...

About the 404, you have chosen to use "pretty urls", most likely; you dont have apache mod_rewrite enabled, ask your hosting provider about it.. and try renaming the file sample-htaccess.txt to .htaccess in your root folder, that might help.

3 Jun 20, 2010 01:26

Thanks for your reply. I'm so new to this though, I don't know how to access my root folder. My host provider is Host Gator and from the little I've dealt with their customer service, I'd be best off trying everything else before asking them about anything. One of the people I talked to there told me that Wordpress doesn't accept HTML...they don't seem to know anything about the actual blogs, just their service.

4 Jun 20, 2010 14:49

get a decent ftp software, maybe a free one like 'filezilla' and connect to your webfolder using the credentials given to you

5 Jun 20, 2010 17:59

Renaming sample-htaccess.txt didn't work. My control panel has Apache Handler, but I don't know if that can do what Apache mod_rewrite would do.
I can install filezilla but I don't know how that would solve the problem of my page errors because I don't know nearly enough about websites to do that.

Form is loading...