Recent Topics

1 Jul 09, 2010 17:06    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3.3

I've got my htaccess working fine but I want to refine it so that it only protects the front page of my blog. I know how to make a normal htaccess but as I use an install in my root directory I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to put in the bit that goes

<Files "whatever_my_front_page_in_b2_is_called.html">
Require valid-user
</Files>

Would it be just index.php? Or would it be blog1.php? Or something else?

The install is exactly as it comes, straight out of the box, no redirects, etc.

2 Jul 09, 2010 18:10

Really silly question .... why?

¥

3 Jul 09, 2010 18:21

Because my htaccess is in public_html. So if I want to show someone a document on my site, I have to give them the password for the whole site.

Obviously I could probably get it to them in another way, but it's a pain.

4 Jul 09, 2010 18:32

Let me rephrase.

You want to know which b2evo pages to protect with htacces, why not just use evo to protect them, either with "login_required" blog perms, post perms?

¥

5 Jul 10, 2010 18:09

That makes too much work for me, having to add everyone individually and give them permissions.

And perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't see where you could make it so that anyone, newcomers included, would be able to use a username and password to get in, in the way that htaccess allows you.

6 Jul 10, 2010 19:02

Ok, lets assume you killed unauthorised access, via htaccess, to /index.php || blog1.php ... et al ... what links would you want to share? Because any that start with index.php || blog1.php ... et al ... would be blocked by your htaccess at least with evo you could use groups/users/public perms ;)

Really comes down to the links you want to share ( blocking evo whilst allowing /media/ is better off handled by htaccess ) ... anywhere in between depends on the links you want to share ;)

¥

7 Jul 10, 2010 19:47

But I'd have to add each user individually, wouldn't I? I don't know if I can be bothered maintaining an ever-growing list of users. Obviously that's the sitw owner's laziness - it's not a problem with evo :)

Form is loading...