Recent Topics

1 Jul 21, 2010 00:40    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hello

I need a self-hostable PHP/MySQL solution that supports the following features:
- blogging (just by site owner, not users; No comments in blog entries)
- forum (so users can talk about issues)
- single-sign-on, so that users can log on either in the blog or in the forum, and not have two accounts

Does b2evolution support this? If not, what other tool would you recommend? FWIW, I've been trying to integrate WordPress and bbPress, and failed.

Thank you.

2 Jul 21, 2010 01:34

You can pick any full-scale CMS like Drupal, Joomla, e107

3 Jul 21, 2010 08:24

why doesnt b2 have a bridge for phpbb ? is it so hard to do it ?

4 Jul 21, 2010 10:09

sam2kb wrote:

Thanks. I feared that I had to use one of those big CMS's just to get a simple blog + forum, but it looks like no solution combines the two.

5 Jul 21, 2010 11:29

Why not try the blogrum plugin? Should be listed on the extensions page I believe.

PS. Avoid Joomla. There's no decent free blog component. (Unless of course, you want to spend the money on paid blog components.)

6 Jul 21, 2010 13:45

Installing Blogrums will not be as easy as clicking install and start using it. I gave it a shot earlier, the logic behind it is simple, yet genious however implementing it and styling accordingly was a pain as far as i remember.

7 Jul 21, 2010 16:36

I agree, it's not as easy as some plugins. However, I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of a copy of the blogrum skin used by Yabba and styled it to my own purposes. The only downfall was no real integration with profiles (extended or otherwise).

The fact remains though that the best solution to the problem is to use a different CMS if forums and blogs together are absolutely necessary.

8 Jul 22, 2010 19:07

Best reason to not go for a blogrum ( unless you can be arsed getting into the mindset of "damn, it's the same data shown *differently*" ) ... anyway, best reason is, it doesn't have all of the functionality that's "expected" by forum members ... and I'm not liable to upgrade the code/instructions beyond the current version ;)

tilqicom wrote:

it is simple, yet genious

Did you just call me a geniarse? :|

¥

9 Jul 22, 2010 21:24

¥åßßå wrote:

it's the same data shown *differently*"

Exactly. AFAI remember it used to be sth like this ; New Thread = New Post, Forum Post = Post comment, and the logic was showing those comments (forum posts) according to date created/modified.

When you think of it, it has it's pro's and con's. On one hand, you would not get most of common "forum functionalities" you'd expect, OTOH you could create never-seen-before functionalities combining the blog functions with forum concept.But it did not turn out as great as i expected.Obviously it wasn't a one man job, and it did not attract attention much.I was really sorry to see that ¥åßßå was not going to develop it any further, but now i am glad to see he did not spend /*cough* waste his time[url=http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=b2evolution&cmpt=q].[/url]

10 Aug 02, 2010 19:15

You need to learn how to handle sessions. Which means you need to learn a bit about coding.

11 Aug 02, 2010 19:18

sam2kb wrote:

Actually, there is a plugin for Joomla that will allow you to insert b2evolution into Joomla, but I am not sure about how it handled logins across the two. Maybe not at all It has been a year since I did the Joomla installation for the CMS with b2evolution as the blog, and since then I have stepped down as the web-admin for the organisation. So I can not help you with this.

13 Aug 11, 2010 06:38

Kimberly wrote:

sam2kb wrote:

Actually, there is a plugin for Joomla that will allow you to insert b2evolution into Joomla, but I am not sure about how it handled logins across the two. Maybe not at all It has been a year since I did the Joomla installation for the CMS with b2evolution as the blog, and since then I have stepped down as the web-admin for the organisation. So I can not help you with this.

The plugin doesn't do anything but import b2evo posts into Joomla's normal article database. It DOES NOT create a single login functionality, and in fact, I found the plugin to be absolutely useless. You may as well just use a blog component for Joomla, or use the core articles functionality that ships with Joomla. (I did end up finding a decent blog component for Joomla in the end, but I hate Joomla and if I had a choice, I would have used b2evo)

Form is loading...