Recent Topics

1 Sep 03, 2010 13:40    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Top of the morning -

apparently Twitter did some authentication changes and that's killed the plugin ... anyone have any ideas on getting it working again?

Starting August 31, all applications will be required to use “OAuth” to access your Twitter account.

What's OAuth?

* OAuth is a technology that enables applications to access Twitter on your behalf with your approval without asking you directly for your password.
* Desktop and mobile applications may still ask for your password once, but after that request, they are required to use OAuth in order to access your timeline or allow you to tweet.

What does this mean for me?

* Applications are no longer allowed to store your password.
* If you change your password, the applications will continue to work.
* Some applications you have been using may require you to reauthorize them or may stop functioning at the time of this change.
* All applications you have authorized will be listed at http://twitter.com/settings/connections.

note for me, there is nothing at all in that applications menu.

2 Sep 03, 2010 20:26

You won't show an app on the connections page until the app requests access and you grant it.

The Twitter plugin isn't currently setup to do Oauth, so it can't make said request.

Unfortunately, I'm not a code jockey, and don't have the first clue how to make this work, so I'm in the same boat as you until the plugin is updated.

3 Sep 04, 2010 04:05

Wow - I remember the day in these forums where this would have been jumped on and collectively we would have fixed the plugin already... that said - some help and a rant.

- I did find out how to auth an app with the new system in this really helpful article here

http://www.jaisenmathai.com/blog/2009/03/31/how-to-quickly-integrate-with-twitters-oauth-api-using-php/

Problem is once you authorize the site you need the plugin to send the Oauth credentials - I'm not so sure how to get that right.

- secondly, I wonder just how long it will take for this plugin to get fixed? I don't think I'll be holding my breath. I work with Wordpress all day at work and several of the Twitter plugins have already have gotten updated.

I've used B2Evo since 2003 and I see interest and support dwindling. If migrating my DB was easier I'd probably already have left.

Anyway if anyone comes up with anything further post it here.

4 Sep 04, 2010 04:27

I was admittedly a little surprised, but I think a lot of the efforts right now are going into 4.0.

I read up on the link you sent, which is also annotated in the plugin code I just realized, and it does seem relatively simple on its face, but the validation issues and making the code generic enough that it is a plugin that everyone could use (not just my site) is way, way over my head, unfortunately.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

5 Sep 04, 2010 17:13

CapnRob wrote:

Wow - I remember the day in these forums where this would have been jumped on and collectively we would have fixed the plugin already

You have to wonder why the players no longer play huh? Even [url=http://twitter.com/blueyed/status/21680485851]blueyed[/url]

As soon as I finish re-coding my plugins my own blogs will be migrated to another app. Not wordpress though, I have more respect for my server than that.

¥

6 Sep 07, 2010 06:15

I have the same concern. The sad part is that this move to OAuth has been in the works for months, so it probably should have been on the list for 4.0. While it is a plugin, it's a pretty important one.

FWIW, I put in the request over @ http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=21446

7 lxsparks Sep 13, 2010 13:48

lxsparks

I don't know if it's of any use but I used the free html plugin and then add the code to embed code from Twitter's goodies page.

8 Sep 19, 2010 02:45

lxsparks wrote:

I don't know if it's of any use but I used the free html plugin and then add the code to embed code from Twitter's goodies page.

You did this to provide a plugin to automatically tweet when you post to your blog?

9 Jun 16, 2013 20:12

Twitter has broken the plugin again.

10 Jun 18, 2013 22:09

@cslepage wrote earlier:

Twitter has broken the plugin again.

I've just noticed that updates aren't posted to twitter even though it says it's been posted. I don't know since when this happened. Is it twitter or V417?

11 Jun 23, 2013 19:27

I don't use this plugin but I do use Twitter API in other contexts and there has indeed been another change recently, breaking functionality. See https://dev.twitter.com/blog/api-v1-retirement-final-dates

And when it's fixed, they will probably change it again. This is turning into a whack-a-mole game led by Twitter, which doesn't seem to help anyone.

12 Jul 04, 2013 13:24

Hello ! First time I've been on here. I too wanted to say that the Twitter plug-in is no longer working. If it can be fixed I'd be very grateful. b2evolution is a very good platform.

13 Jul 04, 2013 17:01

The twitter plugin should be fixed in v 5.0.4.

14 Jul 05, 2013 02:20

Yes, it's working in V5.0.4. :)

15 Jun 14, 2014 17:31

I use Twitter and have ver. 5.0.9 but it keeps giving me an error saying that I need to provide a username and password. I don't know where to put those into b2Evo... Can someone tell me where to put them?

16 Jul 03, 2014 12:18

@mistress_ivey wrote earlier:

I use Twitter and have ver. 5.0.9 but it keeps giving me an error saying that I need to provide a username and password. I don't know where to put those into b2Evo... Can someone tell me where to put them?

Try the plugins area of the blog settings page; there should be a link to connect to your Twitter account. (True for version 5.0.5-stable, so I hope it's also true for 5.0.9)

Form is loading...