Recent Topics

1 Sep 07, 2010 23:00    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3

I am looking for a default category capability. There appears to be a setting for a default category but it does not seem to function as I would expect. I would expect that a default category would show only those posts in that category when the blog initially comes up. It appears that the default category is always ALL.
Couple of questions:
1) What does the default setting currently do?
2) Is there a way to create a default category for when the site initially comes up it only shows posts from that category? I looked in _category.funcs.php and it did not seem to support that capability.

Thanks

2 Sep 09, 2010 03:57

All posts must have a main category. When writing a new post, it starts out as a member of the default category. You can then change it, as well as marking extra categories.

3 Sep 09, 2010 23:58

OK. So the default category selects the default category that a new post is place into. I has nothing to do with how they are displayed. Thanks for that info. That answers my first question. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

The 2nd question definately sounds like it would be a system enhancement. I will continue to poke around at the code for a hack. Any hints or tips as to where to look would be appreciated.

4 Sep 10, 2010 14:01

So you have a bunch of posts in other categories that you don't want to show on the main page...?

5 Sep 10, 2010 18:44

Exactly.
That would provide the ability to organize and decrease clutter.
For example a category may be "Event Highlights". That category would allow posts to be shared which are somewhat off topic that you wouldn't necessarily want to clutter the main page with. Someone interested in the event would have a concise location to go for that information without cluttering the main page.

6 Sep 10, 2010 22:56

Could you use a sidebar link to do that instead of a post defined by category?

To do a sidebar page, in the back office goto posts/comments, move to the "sidebar links" tab, and then click the "new link" hyperlink.

7 Sep 12, 2010 22:16

To be honest, I'm not sure. I looked through the online documentation and tried making some changes in the backoffice. I really couldn't tell what the sidebar links do.
It didn't seem to do what you suggest. ??

Form is loading...