Recent Topics

1 Oct 29, 2010 13:14    

My b2evolution Version: 2.x

Months ago I switched my web hosting to InMotion, which is recommended for b2evolution users.

Since then, they have advised me my blog at comiclist.com is using too many resources, and I need to switch from a $50 a month VPS to a $200 a month dedicated server.

Installing an APC cache has not helped with the matter.

One detail they recently gave me was "So far today there have been 1800 slow queries, and your vps container averages 20 mysql queries per second."

Back in September they said "Currently your VPS is using around 10 times as much CPU as is appropriate for the platform and has been doing so for a several days. Each load of your index page uses 75%-90% of the server's available CPU. Usage of the side menus also drives up CPU utilization. We suggest that you optimize your theme to cache as much information as possible and make whatever adjustments possible to decrease CPU utilization. If your site is already optimized as much as possible, you will need to consider upgrading to a dedicated server platform." I eliminated a RSS plugin that seemed to be a resource hog, but to no avail.

What does this mean? How can I fix this? Or am I doomed to paying for a dedicated server? What am I doing wrong?

2 Oct 29, 2010 18:03

What the specs of your VPS are?

b2evo 2 doesn't have page cache feature. You can greatly decrease server load by using that cache.

b2evo 4 also has better performance over v2 and v3 on hit logging and stats. If you don't care about user-agent stats that was dropped in v4, I believe it's the choice.

The skin and plugins should generally work. If you decide to upgrade, create a duplicate database in phpmyadmin, this way you will not have to backup the existing database which may lead to problems after restore.

3 Oct 29, 2010 18:09

I have the 256 MB package found here:

http://www.inmotionhosting.com/vps_hosting.html

Though, temporarily, they increased me to 512 MB to see if that would help.

Honestly, I never look at hitlogs and stats, so I don't mind any part of them that goes away.

I will look into the b2e upgrade option, thank you, and please let me know what you think of the VPS options from InMotion.

4 Oct 29, 2010 18:37

InMotion is probably the most expensive provider. You can get the following VPS for about $45/month with [url=http://simplerack.net/?page_id=110]simplerack[/url]. I have one VPS with them for a few months.

Dedicated RAM: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 70 GB
Bandwidth: 700 GB
IPs: 3
Connection: 100Mb Port
Setup Fee: $0.00
WHM/cPanel control panel

I have another 2 VPS servers with the other company which gives even better deals, but they are currently sold out.

5 Oct 29, 2010 21:17

Thank you for the tip. Sadly, I switched midyear to InMotion, and my old web host didn't provide a midyear refund. Now, I doubt InMotion would refund my money either.

InMotion has provided me some examples of the "slow queries," though I don't know what they mean exactly.

Do you think my site, given the resource issues, can work on a VPS?

6 Oct 30, 2010 00:49

I'm sure it can't work on 256m VPS, and I doubt 512m VPS will handle the load either.

Anyway it's not a bad idea to update and use pagecache.

7 Oct 30, 2010 03:48

Wow, so maybe a dedicated server is the way to go.

Either way, I'll see about upgrading to 4.x.

Thanks!

BTW, would seeing the "slow query" info help you at all?

8 Oct 30, 2010 18:02

A VPS with 1 or 2 gigs of ram should work good.
Of course a dedicated server is better, but there's no reason to pay $200 when you can keep the website running for $45 ;)

Feel free to post slow queries here or attach a txt file

9 Oct 30, 2010 18:38

I will call InMotion before the Tuesday deadline to at least find out where the money I've paid them so far would go if I agree to one month of dedicated serving. Then I will look into the other company you mentioned. I don't want to spend $200 a month, but I also don't want to lose all the money I've paid InMotion so far.

Also, since InMotion mentioned CPU usage, do you believe upgrading to 4.x will help with that?

Here is the info they sent me, with the user host names changed to protect the innocent:

/usr/sbin/mysqld, Version: 5.0.90-community-log (MySQL Community Edition (GPL)). started with:
Tcp port: 0  Unix socket: (null)
Time                 Id Command    Argument
# Time: 101029 10:49:15
# User@Host: COMICLIST.COM BLOG[COMICLIST.COM BLOG] @ localhost []
# Query_time: 4  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 48  Rows_examined: 656598
use COMICLIST.COM BLOG_bvlt1;
SELECT COUNT(*) AS hits, agnt_type, EXTRACT(YEAR FROM hit_datetime) AS year,

EXTRACT(MONTH FROM hit_datetime) AS month, EXTRACT(DAY FROM hit_datetime) AS day

FROM evo_hitlog INNER JOIN evo_useragents ON hit_agnt_ID = agnt_ID GROUP BY year, month, day, agnt_type

ORDER BY year DESC, month DESC, day DESC, agnt_type;
# Time: 101029 11:39:37
# User@Host: SMILEYSMILE.NET MESSAGE BOARD[SMILEYSMILE.NET MESSAGE BOARD] @ localhost []
# Query_time: 4  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
use SMILEYSMILE.NET MESSAGE BOARD;
INSERT INTO smf_messages
			(ID_BOARD, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, body, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime,
			posterIP, smileysEnabled, modifiedName, icon)
		VALUES (2, 0, 1344, SUBSTRING('Setlist from Brian\'s first Australian show', 1, 255), SUBSTRING('Bear in mind, he only had an hour-long slot:<br /><br />California Girls<br />Dance Dance Dance<br />Shut Down<br />Little Deuce Coupe<br />Do It Again<br />Don\'t Worry Baby<br />Surfer Girl<br />I Get Around<br />Darlin\'<br />They Can\'t Take That Away<br />Do You Wanna Dance<br />Sloop John B. <br />Wouldn\'t It Be Nice <br />God Only Knows<br />Good Vibrations<br />Help Me, Rhonda<br />Barbara Ann<br />Surfin\' USA<br />Fun Fun Fun <br /><br />Wasn\'t someone saying something about \'Mike\'s oldies band\' ?&nbsp; ::)&nbsp; Most recent composition is about 43 years old.', 1, 65534), SUBSTRING('Andrew G. Doe', 1, 255), SUBSTRING('bellagio@btinternet.com', 1, 255), 1288366773,
			SUBSTRING('86.140.86.221', 1, 255), 1, '', SUBSTRING('xx', 1, 16));
# Time: 101029 12:30:32
# Query_time: 11  Lock_time: 1  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 51929
SELECT COUNT( DISTINCT post_ID)  FROM evo_items__item INNER JOIN evo_postcats ON post_ID = postcat_post_ID

INNER JOIN evo_categories ON postcat_cat_ID = cat_ID WHERE (cat_blog_ID IN (1,2,4,9,14,16)) AND (( post_ptyp_ID IS NULL

OR post_ptyp_ID NOT IN (1000) )) AND (post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:30:21') AND ( ( post_status IN ('published') ) );
# Query_time: 10  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 10  Rows_examined: 14589
SELECT DISTINCT post_ID FROM evo_items__item INNER JOIN evo_postcats ON post_ID = postcat_post_ID

INNER JOIN evo_categories ON postcat_cat_ID = cat_ID WHERE (cat_blog_ID = 2) AND (( post_ptyp_ID IS NULL

OR post_ptyp_ID NOT IN (1000) )) AND (post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:30:16') AND ( ( post_status IN ('published') ) ) ORDER BY post_datestart DESC, post_ID DESC LIMIT 10;
# Time: 101029 12:30:43
# Query_time: 11  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 1
SELECT *

FROM evo_items__item

WHERE post_urltitle = 'can_wolverine_remain_the_best_at_what_he';
# User@Host: SMILEYSMILE.NET MESSAGE BOARD[SMILEYSMILE.NET MESSAGE BOARD] @ localhost []
# Query_time: 11  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
SET timestamp=1288369843;
DELETE FROM smf_log_online
				WHERE logTime < NOW() - INTERVAL 900 SECOND;
# Time: 101029 12:30:46
# Query_time: 14  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
SET timestamp=1288369846;
INSERT IGNORE INTO smf_log_online
				(session, ID_MEMBER, logTime, ip, url)
			VALUES ('fc6fab7bb325976ca5c70419d14951b6', 2064, NOW(), IFNULL(INET_ATON('69.177.192.131'), 0), 'a:1:{s:10:\"USER_AGENT\";s:168:\"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.6; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; IEMB3; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; IEMB3)\";}');
# Query_time: 14  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 246944
SELECT agnt_ID FROM evo_useragents

WHERE agnt_signature = 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; ru; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)'

AND agnt_type = 'browser';
# Query_time: 14  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 8  Rows_examined: 46007
SELECT DISTINCT post_ID FROM evo_items__item INNER JOIN evo_postcats ON post_ID = postcat_post_ID

INNER JOIN evo_categories ON postcat_cat_ID = cat_ID WHERE (cat_blog_ID IN (1,2,4,9,14,16)) AND (( post_ptyp_ID IS NULL

OR post_ptyp_ID NOT IN (1000) )) AND (post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:30:21') AND ( ( post_status IN ('published') ) ) ORDER BY post_datestart DESC, post_ID DESC LIMIT 8;
# Time: 101029 12:30:47
# Query_time: 15  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 51929
SELECT COUNT( DISTINCT post_ID)  FROM evo_items__item INNER JOIN evo_postcats ON post_ID = postcat_post_ID

OR post_ptyp_ID NOT IN (1000) )) AND (post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:30:32') AND ( ( post_status IN ('published') ) );
# Time: 101029 12:30:56
# Query_time: 9  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 20  Rows_examined: 98
SELECT
            c.name AS catName, c.ID_CAT, b.ID_BOARD, b.name AS boardName, b.description,
            b.numPosts, b.numTopics, b.ID_PARENT, IFNULL(m.posterTime, 0) AS posterTime,
            IFNULL(mem.memberName, m.posterName) AS posterName, m.subject, m.ID_TOPIC,
            IFNULL(mem.realName, m.posterName) AS realName,
            (IFNULL(lb.ID_MSG, 0) >= b.ID_MSG_UPDATED) AS isRead, IFNULL(lb.ID_MSG, -1) + 1 AS new_from,
            c.canCollapse, IFNULL(cc.ID_MEMBER, 0) AS isCollapsed,
            IFNULL(mem.ID_MEMBER, 0) AS ID_MEMBER, m.ID_MSG,
            IFNULL(mods_mem.ID_MEMBER, 0) AS ID_MODERATOR, mods_mem.realName AS modRealName
        FROM smf_boards AS b
            LEFT JOIN smf_categories AS c ON (c.ID_CAT = b.ID_CAT)
            LEFT JOIN smf_messages AS m ON (m.ID_MSG = b.ID_LAST_MSG)
            LEFT JOIN smf_members AS mem ON (mem.ID_MEMBER = m.ID_MEMBER)
            LEFT JOIN smf_log_boards AS lb ON (lb.ID_BOARD = b.ID_BOARD AND lb.ID_MEMBER = 2064)
            LEFT JOIN smf_collapsed_categories AS cc ON (cc.ID_CAT = c.ID_CAT AND cc.ID_MEMBER = 2064)
            LEFT JOIN smf_moderators AS mods ON (mods.ID_BOARD = b.ID_BOARD)
            LEFT JOIN smf_members AS mods_mem ON (mods_mem.ID_MEMBER = mods.ID_MEMBER)
        WHERE (FIND_IN_SET(0, b.memberGroups) OR FIND_IN_SET(11, b.memberGroups));
# Query_time: 9  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 1
SELECT *
				          FROM evo_items__item
				         WHERE post_ID = 5919;
# Query_time: 9  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 8  Rows_examined: 46007

OR post_ptyp_ID NOT IN (1000) )) AND (post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:30:32') AND ( ( post_status IN ('published') ) ) ORDER BY post_datestart DESC, post_ID DESC LIMIT 8;
# Query_time: 9  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 10  Rows_examined: 48496

INNER JOIN evo_categories ON postcat_cat_ID = cat_ID WHERE (cat_blog_ID = 4) AND (( post_ptyp_ID IS NULL

OR post_ptyp_ID NOT IN (1000) )) AND (post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:30:32') AND ( ( post_status IN ('published') ) ) ORDER BY post_datestart DESC, post_ID DESC LIMIT 10;
# Query_time: 10  Lock_time: 1  Rows_sent: 8  Rows_examined: 16
SELECT *

FROM evo_items__item WHERE post_ID IN (11802,11801,11800,11799,11798,11797,11796,11795)  ORDER BY post_datestart DESC, post_ID DESC;
# Time: 101029 12:31:25
# Query_time: 24  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
SELECT tag_name
											 	 FROM evo_items__itemtag INNER JOIN evo_items__tag ON itag_tag_ID = tag_ID
											 	WHERE itag_itm_ID = 2610
											 	ORDER BY tag_name;
# Query_time: 24  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 11548  Rows_examined: 11548
SELECT DISTINCT post_ID

FROM evo_items__item WHERE ( post_ptyp_ID IS NULL

OR post_ptyp_ID NOT IN (1000) )

AND ( post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:31:01' )

AND ( post_status = 'published' );
# Query_time: 24  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
UPDATE evo_items__item
		                SET post_views = post_views + 1
		              WHERE post_ID = 10329;
# Query_time: 29  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
INSERT INTO smf_messages
			(ID_BOARD, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, body, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime,
		VALUES (2, 9526, 1961, SUBSTRING('Re: Brian Wilson not interested in reunion after all', 1, 255), SUBSTRING('Big bucks aside, surely the main point of the 50th anniversary reunion is to [i]celebrate[/i] the Beach Boys 50 year legacy. To say thank you to the fans and the fans to say thank you to the band. To show that despite the heataches, tragedy, mental illness, falling outs and lawsuits, the [b]music [/b]itself has made the ride worthwhile. If that doesn\'t mean enough to Brian to make even just one appearance with the group then any reunion is going to have a hollow ring to it.', 1, 65534), SUBSTRING('mikes beard', 1, 255), SUBSTRING('adam.desborough@sky.com', 1, 255), 1288369856,
			SUBSTRING('90.219.138.73', 1, 255), 1, '', SUBSTRING('xx', 1, 16));
# Query_time: 29  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 40  Rows_examined: 4911
SELECT
				t.ID_TOPIC, t.numReplies, t.locked, t.numViews, t.isSticky, t.ID_POLL,
				IFNULL(lt.ID_MSG, IFNULL(lmr.ID_MSG, -1)) + 1 AS new_from,
				t.ID_LAST_MSG, ml.posterTime AS lastPosterTime, ml.ID_MSG_MODIFIED,
				ml.subject AS lastSubject, ml.icon AS lastIcon, ml.posterName AS lastMemberName,
				ml.ID_MEMBER AS lastID_MEMBER, IFNULL(meml.realName, ml.posterName) AS lastDisplayName,
				t.ID_FIRST_MSG, mf.posterTime AS firstPosterTime,
				mf.subject AS firstSubject, mf.icon AS firstIcon, mf.posterName AS firstMemberName,
				mf.ID_MEMBER AS firstID_MEMBER, IFNULL(memf.realName, mf.posterName) AS firstDisplayName,
				LEFT(ml.body, 384) AS lastBody, LEFT(mf.body, 384) AS firstBody, ml.smileysEnabled AS lastSmileys,
				mf.smileysEnabled AS firstSmileys
			FROM (smf_topics AS t, smf_messages AS ml, smf_messages AS mf)
				LEFT JOIN smf_members AS meml ON (meml.ID_MEMBER = ml.ID_MEMBER)
				LEFT JOIN smf_members AS memf ON (memf.ID_MEMBER = mf.ID_MEMBER)
				LEFT JOIN smf_log_topics AS lt ON (lt.ID_TOPIC = t.ID_TOPIC AND lt.ID_MEMBER = 501)
				LEFT JOIN smf_log_mark_read AS lmr ON (lmr.ID_BOARD = 2 AND lmr.ID_MEMBER = 501)
			WHERE t.ID_BOARD = 2
				AND ml.ID_MSG = t.ID_LAST_MSG
				AND mf.ID_MSG = t.ID_FIRST_MSG
			ORDER BY isSticky DESC, ID_LAST_MSG DESC
			LIMIT 0, 40;
# Time: 101029 12:31:36
UPDATE smf_topics
			SET
				ID_MEMBER_UPDATED = 1961, ID_LAST_MSG = 164787,
				numReplies = numReplies + 1
			WHERE ID_TOPIC = 9526
			LIMIT 1;
REPLACE INTO smf_log_boards
				(ID_MSG, ID_MEMBER, ID_BOARD)
			VALUES (164786, 206, 2);
SELECT
				c.ID_CAT, b.name AS bname, b.description, b.numTopics, b.memberGroups,
				b.ID_PARENT, c.name AS cname, IFNULL(mem.ID_MEMBER, 0) AS ID_MODERATOR,
				mem.realName, b.ID_BOARD, b.childLevel,
				b.ID_THEME, b.override_theme, b.permission_mode, b.countPosts
			FROM (smf_boards AS b, smf_topics AS t)
				LEFT JOIN smf_moderators AS mods ON (mods.ID_BOARD = t.ID_BOARD)
				LEFT JOIN smf_members AS mem ON (mem.ID_MEMBER = mods.ID_MEMBER)
			WHERE b.ID_BOARD = t.ID_BOARD
				AND t.ID_TOPIC = 9531;
SELECT
				AND t.ID_TOPIC = 6662;
REPLACE INTO smf_log_boards
				(ID_MSG, ID_MEMBER, ID_BOARD)
			VALUES (164786, 206, 2);
# Query_time: 11  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 43823

INNER JOIN evo_categories ON postcat_cat_ID = cat_ID WHERE (cat_blog_ID = 4) AND (( post_ptyp_ID IS NULL

OR post_ptyp_ID NOT IN (1000) )) AND (post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:31:25') AND ( ( post_status IN ('published') ) ) AND (( post_datestart < '2010-06-03 17:53:12' OR ( post_datestart = '2010-06-03 17:53:12' AND post_ID < 10329) )) ORDER BY post_datestart DESC, post_ID DESC LIMIT 1;
# Query_time: 11  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 11548  Rows_examined: 11548
SELECT DISTINCT post_ID

AND ( post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:31:25' )

SELECT
				AND t.ID_TOPIC = 5724;
# Query_time: 11  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 11548  Rows_examined: 11548
SELECT DISTINCT post_ID

AND ( post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:31:25' )

# User@Host: cslepage_bvlt3[cslepage_bvlt3] @ localhost []
use cslepage_bvlt3;
SELECT DISTINCT post_ID, post_datestart, post_datemodified, post_title, post_url,
									post_excerpt, post_urltitle, post_main_cat_ID, post_ptyp_ID  FROM evo_items__item INNER JOIN evo_postcats ON post_ID = postcat_post_ID
												INNER JOIN evo_categories ON postcat_cat_ID = cat_ID WHERE ( cat_blog_ID = 1 ) AND (post_ptyp_ID IN (1000)) AND (post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:31:25') AND ( ( post_status IN ('published') ) ) ORDER BY post_datestart DESC, post_ID DESC LIMIT 20;
# Query_time: 11  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 30
SELECT COUNT(*)
				FROM smf_topics AS t
					LEFT JOIN smf_log_boards AS lb ON (lb.ID_BOARD = 2 AND lb.ID_MEMBER = 16)
					LEFT JOIN smf_log_topics AS lt ON (lt.ID_TOPIC = t.ID_TOPIC AND lt.ID_MEMBER = 16)
				WHERE t.ID_BOARD = 2
					AND t.ID_LAST_MSG > IFNULL(lb.ID_MSG, 0)
					AND t.ID_LAST_MSG > IFNULL(lt.ID_MSG, 0)
					AND t.ID_LAST_MSG > 164680;
# Time: 101029 12:31:42
# Query_time: 17  Lock_time: 11  Rows_sent: 8  Rows_examined: 20
SELECT ID_TOPIC
				FROM smf_messages
				WHERE ID_TOPIC IN (8802, 5525, 3654, 9526, 8214, 9531, 9525, 9522, 9528, 9513, 9527, 9523, 9366, 9514, 9524, 9484, 9054, 9521, 9518, 9491, 9446, 9369, 9492, 9517, 9476, 9489, 9411, 9509, 9516, 9391, 9460, 9448, 9508, 9500, 9499, 9195, 9511, 9506, 9298, 9260)
					AND ID_MEMBER = 501
				GROUP BY ID_TOPIC
				LIMIT 40;
# Query_time: 6  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
UPDATE smf_messages
		SET ID_MSG_MODIFIED = 164787
		WHERE ID_MSG = 164787;
# Query_time: 6  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 1
SELECT posterTime
				FROM smf_messages
				WHERE ID_MSG = 164752
				LIMIT 1;
# Time: 101029 12:31:43
# Query_time: 7  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 12  Rows_examined: 58
SELECT
				b.ID_BOARD, b.ID_PARENT, b.name, b.description, b.numTopics, b.numPosts,
				m.posterName, IFNULL(m.posterTime, 0) AS posterTime, m.subject, m.ID_MSG, m.ID_TOPIC,
				IFNULL(mem.realName, m.posterName) AS realName, ID_PARENT, 
				(IFNULL(lb.ID_MSG, 0) >= b.ID_MSG_UPDATED) AS isRead,
				IFNULL(mem.ID_MEMBER, 0) AS ID_MEMBER
			FROM smf_boards AS b
				LEFT JOIN smf_log_boards AS lb ON (lb.ID_BOARD = b.ID_BOARD AND lb.ID_MEMBER = 206)
			WHERE childLevel > 0
				AND (FIND_IN_SET(0, b.memberGroups) OR FIND_IN_SET(11, b.memberGroups));
# Query_time: 7  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 25  Rows_examined: 100
SELECT
			m.posterTime, m.subject, m.ID_TOPIC, m.ID_MEMBER, m.ID_MSG,
			IFNULL(mem.realName, m.posterName) AS posterName, t.ID_BOARD, b.name AS bName,
			LEFT(m.body, 384) AS body, m.smileysEnabled
		FROM (smf_messages AS m, smf_topics AS t, smf_boards AS b)
		WHERE m.ID_MSG >= 164286
			AND t.ID_TOPIC = m.ID_TOPIC
			AND b.ID_BOARD = t.ID_BOARD
			AND b.ID_BOARD != 19
			AND (FIND_IN_SET(0, b.memberGroups) OR FIND_IN_SET(11, b.memberGroups))
		ORDER BY m.ID_MSG DESC
		LIMIT 25;
# Query_time: 18  Lock_time: 11  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 51929

OR post_ptyp_ID NOT IN (1000) )) AND (post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:31:25') AND ( ( post_status IN ('published') ) );
# Query_time: 7  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
UPDATE evo_items__item
		                SET post_views = post_views + 1
		              WHERE post_ID = 10329;
# Query_time: 7  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
UPDATE smf_topics
			SET numViews = numViews + 1
			WHERE ID_TOPIC = 6662
			LIMIT 1;
# Query_time: 7  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 1
SELECT *
				          FROM evo_items__item
				         WHERE post_ID = 10330;
SELECT *
				          FROM evo_items__item
				         WHERE post_ID = 10426;
# Query_time: 7  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 12  Rows_examined: 58
SELECT
				b.ID_BOARD, b.ID_PARENT, b.name, b.description, b.numTopics, b.numPosts,
				m.posterName, IFNULL(m.posterTime, 0) AS posterTime, m.subject, m.ID_MSG, m.ID_TOPIC,
				IFNULL(mem.realName, m.posterName) AS realName, ID_PARENT, 
				(IFNULL(lb.ID_MSG, 0) >= b.ID_MSG_UPDATED) AS isRead,
				IFNULL(mem.ID_MEMBER, 0) AS ID_MEMBER
			FROM smf_boards AS b
				LEFT JOIN smf_log_boards AS lb ON (lb.ID_BOARD = b.ID_BOARD AND lb.ID_MEMBER = 206)
			WHERE childLevel > 0
				AND (FIND_IN_SET(0, b.memberGroups) OR FIND_IN_SET(11, b.memberGroups));
SELECT *

FROM evo_items__item WHERE post_ID IN (5199)  ORDER BY post_datestart DESC, post_ID DESC;
SELECT *
				          FROM evo_items__item
				         WHERE post_ID = 8962;
# Query_time: 7  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 8  Rows_examined: 16
SELECT *

FROM evo_items__item WHERE post_ID IN (11766,11761,11760,11759,11753,11745,11701,11698)  ORDER BY post_datestart DESC, post_ID DESC;
# Query_time: 7  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 1  Rows_examined: 6

INNER JOIN evo_categories ON postcat_cat_ID = cat_ID INNER JOIN evo_items__itemtag ON post_ID = itag_itm_ID

INNER JOIN evo_items__tag ON (itag_tag_ID = tag_ID AND tag_name IN ('wolalina') ) WHERE (cat_blog_ID = 4) AND (( post_ptyp_ID IS NULL

OR post_ptyp_ID NOT IN (1000) )) AND (post_datestart <= '2010-10-29 12:31:36') AND ( ( post_status IN ('published') ) );
# Query_time: 7  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 4  Rows_examined: 4
SELECT ID_MSG, ID_MEMBER
		FROM smf_messages
		WHERE ID_TOPIC = 9531
		ORDER BY ID_MSG 
		LIMIT 0, 20;
SELECT
			t.numReplies, t.numViews, t.locked, ms.subject, t.isSticky, t.ID_POLL,
			t.ID_MEMBER_STARTED, t.ID_FIRST_MSG, t.ID_LAST_MSG,
			IFNULL(lt.ID_MSG, -1) + 1 AS new_from
		FROM (smf_topics AS t, smf_messages AS ms)
			LEFT JOIN smf_log_topics AS lt ON (lt.ID_TOPIC = 9531 AND lt.ID_MEMBER = 16)
		WHERE t.ID_TOPIC = 9531
			AND ms.ID_MSG = t.ID_FIRST_MSG
		LIMIT 1;
# Time: 101029 12:32:02
# User@Host: root[root] @ localhost []
# Query_time: 106  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 28  Rows_examined: 866
use mysql;
select TABLE_SCHEMA as DB,SUM(DATA_LENGTH)+SUM(INDEX_LENGTH) AS SPACEUSED from information_schema.tables GROUP BY TABLE_SCHEMA;

10 Oct 31, 2010 00:12

What else are you running on the server? A lot of the queries that seem to be taking a long time don't appear to have anything to do with b2evo.

Like this one, for example:

# Query_time: 29  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
INSERT INTO smf_messages
      VALUES (2, 9526, 1961, SUBSTRING('Re: Brian Wilson not interested in reunion after all', 1, 255), SUBSTRING('Big bucks aside, surely the main point of the 50th anniversary reunion is to [i]celebrate[/i] the Beach Boys 50 year legacy. To say thank you to the fans and the fans to say thank you to the band. To show that despite the heataches, tragedy, mental illness, falling outs and lawsuits, the [b]music [/b]itself has made the ride worthwhile. If that doesn\'t mean enough to Brian to make even just one appearance with the group then any reunion is going to have a hollow ring to it.', 1, 65534), SUBSTRING('mikes beard', 1, 255), SUBSTRING('adam.desborough@sky.com', 1, 255), 1288369856,
         SUBSTRING('90.219.138.73', 1, 255), 1, '', SUBSTRING('xx', 1, 16));
# Query_time: 29  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 40  Rows_examined: 4911
SELECT
            t.ID_TOPIC, t.numReplies, t.locked, t.numViews, t.isSticky, t.ID_POLL,
            IFNULL(lt.ID_MSG, IFNULL(lmr.ID_MSG, -1)) + 1 AS new_from,
            t.ID_LAST_MSG, ml.posterTime AS lastPosterTime, ml.ID_MSG_MODIFIED,
            ml.subject AS lastSubject, ml.icon AS lastIcon, ml.posterName AS lastMemberName,
            ml.ID_MEMBER AS lastID_MEMBER, IFNULL(meml.realName, ml.posterName) AS lastDisplayName,
            t.ID_FIRST_MSG, mf.posterTime AS firstPosterTime,
            mf.subject AS firstSubject, mf.icon AS firstIcon, mf.posterName AS firstMemberName,
            mf.ID_MEMBER AS firstID_MEMBER, IFNULL(memf.realName, mf.posterName) AS firstDisplayName,
            LEFT(ml.body, 384) AS lastBody, LEFT(mf.body, 384) AS firstBody, ml.smileysEnabled AS lastSmileys,
            mf.smileysEnabled AS firstSmileys
         FROM (smf_topics AS t, smf_messages AS ml, smf_messages AS mf)
            LEFT JOIN smf_members AS meml ON (meml.ID_MEMBER = ml.ID_MEMBER)
            LEFT JOIN smf_members AS memf ON (memf.ID_MEMBER = mf.ID_MEMBER)
            LEFT JOIN smf_log_topics AS lt ON (lt.ID_TOPIC = t.ID_TOPIC AND lt.ID_MEMBER = 501)
            LEFT JOIN smf_log_mark_read AS lmr ON (lmr.ID_BOARD = 2 AND lmr.ID_MEMBER = 501)
         WHERE t.ID_BOARD = 2
            AND ml.ID_MSG = t.ID_LAST_MSG
            AND mf.ID_MSG = t.ID_FIRST_MSG
         ORDER BY isSticky DESC, ID_LAST_MSG DESC
         LIMIT 0, 40;
# Time: 101029 12:31:36 

Also, make sure your hitlog pruning hasn't accidentally been turned off:

# Time: 101029 10:49:15
# Query_time: 4  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 48  Rows_examined: 656598
SELECT COUNT(*) AS hits, agnt_type, EXTRACT(YEAR FROM hit_datetime) AS year,

EXTRACT(MONTH FROM hit_datetime) AS month, EXTRACT(DAY FROM hit_datetime) AS day

FROM evo_hitlog INNER JOIN evo_useragents ON hit_agnt_ID = agnt_ID GROUP BY year, month, day, agnt_type 

EDIT: I would guess that it's the Simple Machines Forum installation and not b2evo at all. If that forum application isn't yours... I'd surely bring it to your Provider's attention. ;)

12 Oct 31, 2010 00:21

SMF is the resource hog in those logs.

13 Oct 31, 2010 00:27

HMM, well, would SMF also be the culprit when it comes to not only memory usage but CPU usage on the server?

Maybe I need to find the SMF people and ask them how to optimize the board...

14 Oct 31, 2010 20:08

Total Topics: 8923, Total Posts: 161633

I wonder how could you run a busy b2evo site and a large forum app on the tiny VPS with 256M memory 8|

PHP processes use lots of CPU, you can't do much about it other than installing accelerators and using file/memory caches. The more CPU cores you have the better.

15 Oct 31, 2010 20:14

What if the SMF board went somewhere else, as in, another server? Would the busy b2e board be able to run well on a VPS?

16 Oct 31, 2010 21:47

Do you mean that 256M VPS? No it won't run well.
An idle cPanel LAMP VPS with default apps consumes about 200M memory.

Can you post the output of this command

sar

or

sar 3 3

17 Oct 31, 2010 21:57

I could try- but where would I input it?

18 Oct 31, 2010 22:05

In Linux terminal.

First you need to connect to the server as root via putty or any other SSH client. You should be able to do this from inMotion control panel too.

19 Oct 31, 2010 22:21

Here's the results of sar 3 3:

05:19:32 PM       CPU     %user     %nice   %system   %iowait    %steal     %idle
05:19:35 PM       all      0.04      0.00      0.21      0.15      0.00     99.59
05:19:38 PM       all      0.98      0.00      0.50      0.00      0.00     98.52
05:19:41 PM       all      0.15      0.00      0.25      0.00      0.00     99.60
Average:          all      0.39      0.00      0.32      0.05      0.00     99.24

Here's the results of sar:

11:00:01 AM       CPU     %user     %nice   %system   %iowait    %steal     %idle
11:10:01 AM       all      0.82      0.03      0.44      0.06      0.00     98.66
11:20:01 AM       all      0.88      0.00      0.42      0.05      0.00     98.65
11:30:01 AM       all      0.76      0.00      0.35      0.07      0.00     98.83
11:40:01 AM       all      0.74      0.00      0.34      0.02      0.00     98.89
11:50:01 AM       all      0.87      0.00      0.40      0.06      0.00     98.67
12:00:01 PM       all      0.92      0.00      0.39      0.04      0.00     98.65
12:10:01 PM       all      0.76      0.00      0.36      0.09      0.00     98.79
12:20:02 PM       all      0.85      0.00      0.44      0.06      0.00     98.64
12:30:01 PM       all      0.81      0.00      0.35      0.03      0.00     98.82
12:40:01 PM       all      0.63      0.00      0.26      0.33      0.00     98.78
12:50:01 PM       all      0.73      0.00      0.36      0.06      0.00     98.84
01:00:01 PM       all      0.81      0.00      0.37      0.02      0.00     98.81
01:10:01 PM       all      1.00      0.03      0.48      0.05      0.00     98.43
01:20:02 PM       all      0.91      0.00      0.40      0.07      0.00     98.62
01:30:01 PM       all      0.93      0.00      0.45      0.03      0.00     98.59
01:40:01 PM       all      0.75      0.00      0.33      0.06      0.00     98.85
01:50:01 PM       all      0.90      0.00      0.39      0.03      0.00     98.67
02:00:01 PM       all      0.95      0.00      0.44      0.09      0.00     98.52
02:10:01 PM       all      1.28      0.00      0.58      0.06      0.00     98.08
02:20:01 PM       all      0.90      0.00      0.44      0.04      0.00     98.62
02:30:01 PM       all      0.91      0.00      0.40      0.04      0.00     98.65
02:40:01 PM       all      0.93      0.00      0.42      0.06      0.00     98.59

02:40:01 PM       CPU     %user     %nice   %system   %iowait    %steal     %idle
02:50:02 PM       all      1.01      0.00      0.45      0.06      0.00     98.47
03:00:01 PM       all      0.71      0.00      0.30      0.04      0.00     98.94
03:10:01 PM       all      0.84      0.00      0.40      0.04      0.00     98.72
03:20:01 PM       all      0.90      0.04      0.43      0.03      0.00     98.60
03:30:01 PM       all      0.87      0.00      0.41      0.07      0.00     98.64
03:40:01 PM       all      1.01      0.00      0.43      0.06      0.00     98.50
03:50:02 PM       all      1.04      0.00      0.41      0.04      0.00     98.51
04:00:01 PM       all      1.13      0.00      0.53      0.08      0.00     98.26
04:10:01 PM       all      0.89      0.00      0.42      0.13      0.00     98.56
04:20:02 PM       all      0.89      0.00      0.42      0.04      0.00     98.66
04:30:01 PM       all      0.98      0.00      0.44      0.03      0.00     98.56
04:40:01 PM       all      0.81      0.00      0.32      0.07      0.00     98.80
04:50:01 PM       all      1.00      0.00      0.44      0.63      0.00     97.93
05:00:01 PM       all      1.38      0.00      0.59      0.03      0.00     98.00
05:10:01 PM       all      1.01      0.00      0.49      0.09      0.00     98.41
05:20:01 PM       all      0.77      0.03      0.36      0.05      0.00     98.79
Average:          all      0.76      0.01      0.33      0.30      0.00     98.60

21 Nov 01, 2010 01:27

sam2kb wrote:

The results look good

Well, that's good! :)

22 Nov 01, 2010 14:35

sam2kb wrote:

The results look good

Should I run it at another time, say, a busier time for comiclist.com, to see if the numbers are still good?

23 Nov 03, 2010 19:12

Now that I am on a dedicated server, I'm told APC won't work, since the dedicated server is using zend optimization.

Should I have zend disabled and have APC installed on the new server?

24 Nov 03, 2010 23:55

Despite the name, Zend Optimizer is not a code accelerator. Rather, is a free, closed source PHP extension by Zend that enables PHP to run files encoded by Zend Guard

You should install either APC, XCache or eAccelerator. There are lots of manuals and instructions in Google about installation and configuration.
Note that accelerators will not work in suPHP mode, you will need to switch PHP to FastCGI

25 Nov 04, 2010 00:00

if you ask me, suPhp is essential, do not give up on it just for a script cache

26 Nov 04, 2010 00:04

FastCGI still allows scripts to be ran with user credentials using suEXEC. So there's not much difference in security.

27 Nov 04, 2010 00:10

Luckily, you don't have to choose between the two -- as sam2kb pointed out.
Zend, however, is another story. If you absolutely need it for your website... you can pretty much kiss APC goodbye. The web is full of grief over this.

I can attest to the fact that suPHP, APC, and PHP (served as FastCGI) all play very nicely together. ;)

28 Nov 04, 2010 02:31

I'm not aware of needing Zend for my website, it's just something that InMotion includes on their dedicated servers.

They have told me to get APC back, I will have to give up suPhp.

This is their statement: "APC is incompatible with your servers current configuration. We would need to reconfigure your server to use the older mod_php instead of su_php, and disable zend optimizer. Please advise if you would like us to make the required changes on your server for APC."

29 Nov 04, 2010 08:34

BushLeagueCritic wrote:

Luckily, you don't have to choose between the two

Well, i have been told that i did have to choose between two.I am no expert, when i asked my hosting provider, they told me that apc would not work on suphp enabled servers

30 Nov 04, 2010 12:08

I'm not sure why your provider would tell you that... perhaps they just don't know. The main reason I got a VPS is so I didn't have to rely on my provider for server configuration.

I was unhappy with the performance of suPHP without the opcode cache, so I configured php to run as FastCGI and all was well again.

If it wasn't possible to run APC with suPHP, I would have dropped suPHP like a hot-potato -- the performance loss (by enabling suPHP alone) was visibly measurable, and unacceptable. Thankfully I didn't have to choose between the two.

31 Nov 04, 2010 12:39

Just so I am clear:

1) suPHP is slower than modPHP, but FastCGI makes up for that slowness?
2) FastCGI will also allow APC to run on suPHP?

32 Nov 04, 2010 13:13

Yes and yes.
In my experience, anyway.

suPHP runs php as cgi, which will always be slower than running php as an apache module. Executing php as FastCGI (and configuring suPHP to use FastCGI's php handler) will still be slightly slower than php as an apache module, but has the advantage of being able to use APC's opcode cacheing... which will get you within a stone's throw of mod_php's (alone) performance.

The above configuration is still going to be slightly slower than a straight mod_php + APC solution, but it's certainly worth the slight performance hit to add the peace of mind that suPHP provides.

33 Nov 04, 2010 13:43

Thank you for the quick reply and good information!

34 Nov 04, 2010 14:34

How much memory do you recommend for APC? I believe the default is 32MB.

35 Nov 04, 2010 14:50

I'm at 128Mb, but I'm certain that that's overkill.

Start at the recommended 32 Mb and monitor your cache stats. If you start getting a lot of Cache misses (or your Cache full count goes above zero), then bump up the apc.shm_size in 32Mb increments.

I'm at a 99.4% to 0.6% hit-to miss ratio, with a cache full count that never leaves zero, but my server is never under much of a load... your usage may vary if you have lots of traffic.

36 Nov 04, 2010 17:22

I have to apologize here. I am in fact NOT using suPHP with my current configuration. I am using PHP as FastCGI (mod_fcgid) with suEXEC (mod_suexec) in place of suPHP. Which still allows me to utilize APC.

I apologize for the confusion.

37 Nov 04, 2010 18:53

BushLeagueCritic wrote:

I'm not sure why your provider would tell you that... perhaps they just don't know. The main reason I got a VPS is so I didn't have to rely on my provider for server configuration.

Well i have my own VDS, but i am not great with server stuff.So what i have to do is to disable zend optimizer ? is not that a loss in performance also ?

38 Nov 04, 2010 19:12

So what i have to do is to disable zend optimizer ? is not that a loss in performance also ?

Like sam2kb quoted:

Despite the name, Zend Optimizer is not a code accelerator. Rather, is a free, closed source PHP extension by Zend that enables PHP to run files encoded by Zend Guard

So unless you have an application on your web server that uses Zen Guard encoded scripts, you're not utilizing the Zend Optimizer anyway. ;)

39 Nov 04, 2010 20:14

BushLeagueCritic wrote:

So what i have to do is to disable zend optimizer ? is not that a loss in performance also ?

Like sam2kb quoted:

So unless you have an application on your web server that uses Zen Guard encoded scripts, you're not utilizing the Zend Optimizer anyway. ;)

i missed that, thanks for the quote. i am not sure if something uses zend guard or not, so i ll pass, thank you (:

Form is loading...