Recent Topics

1 Jul 30, 2011 05:01    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi all!

Should I use b2evolution or wordpress?

I hope that my blog can has as many as possible the following features:

(I) it can sync to facebook and twitter (& my another Joomla site if possible
-> in more details, Category A (Cat.A) blog articles: can sync to my personal facebook: TH

-> Cat.B: sync to my personal facebook: TH, facebook page: mfy, my Twitter: mfy, and as news on my another Joomla Site: mfy

-> Cat.C, D, E....: sync to nothing, but just the normal blog articles

(II) allow comments on my blog articles
-> by anyone who has a facebook account and logged-in
-> by anonymous users, but can prevent spamming as perfectly as possible!

(III) can integrate smoothly with G2(Gallery 2.x.x) or G3 (Gallery 3.x.x) so that I can conveniently insert my photos, as managed my G2 or G3, into my blog articles;

(III) can integrate with Joomla v1.5.x, or v1.6.x or v1.7.x smoothing with as little bugs as possible;

(IV) can switch between preset languages, e.g. English and Chinese, easily thru JoomFish (the language addon of Joomla)

2 Jul 30, 2011 05:51

Welcome to the forum.

You can't do any of this features with default b2evolution install, and I don't know if there are any free plugins available to integrate Joomla into b2evo.

If you don't plan to code or hire a programmer, b2evolution won't work for you.

I can't say anything about WP, it worth asking on their forum.

3 Jul 30, 2011 13:24

i didnt even read your post, but i could comfortably say, you'd have better luck with WP anyday

4 Aug 09, 2011 06:38

i am curious why you guy, the b2evolution Guru?, could be so lazy, to the one looking forward to use b2evolution???!!!
-> it seems that you don't want me to use b2e, instead you want me to use WP???!!!

5 Aug 09, 2011 12:56

who is "lazy" ? i just told you my opinion frankly.You can go with b2, which is much more reliable (in terms of stability not development), & secure cms than wordpress.What i am saying is; if you are looking for extensions and stuff, b2 is disadvantageous compared to wp.

6 Aug 10, 2011 00:38

I was running WP for a while and some of my visitors kept getting virus messages when visiting the site (either due to plugins or the updates that WP did). I switched to b2 and no virus messages reported so far (knock on wood). I just need to figure out how to embed youtube vids in comments (like I used to be able to do in WP).

Overall, most of my visitors prefer the b2 interface.

7 Sep 08, 2011 11:54

Well, you could always use a LDAP server, to integrate users and all that; might be tricky, yet possible! IMO, b2evo is the sweatest thing to chat, so I use it for that purpose... and for other services needs, I use other scripts or write my own code, but not necesarily "all in a suite" (if each thingy runs independently, it goes smoother the updates of code)

8 Sep 10, 2011 22:36

Gabriel, are you saying that independent pieces of code are easier to keep up to date than an all-in-one suite? (I'm really interested in opinions about this)

9 Sep 12, 2011 21:26

fplanque wrote:

Gabriel, are you saying that independent pieces of code are easier to keep up to date than an all-in-one suite? (I'm really interested in opinions about this)

Wow, the owner of the circus!!! =D Yes, I said exactly that: when I need to do "something" (i.e. blogging), I use the most useful thingy for that. If we do a metaphore, that might be if you have the encyclopedia britannica and the history of my small town... if you need info about your small town... what would you use? Wordpress might be the briannica, while the b2evo might be that book of my town. Also, there are many fast & quirky solutions: for example, if a solution use the latest php version, and another thing that your site does needs to run php 1 (lol, you got my point), you could resolve that issue through dns records and server configurations: not the most "by the book solution... but it works! Otherwise, if you use an engine, sometimes if u upgrade the core, the plugin might not work, and you could get nuts to make all work as a symphony.

At least this way, when I update soft, I know I will have it properly working... I learn this by hard, when I had for a LONG time a very hacked version of postnuke... it end up being anything else, but certainly not a standard postnuke!!! :P So then, I learn the hard way that "all-in-one" solution doesnt exist! :P (and most wordpress users are experiencing this, specially because of the php old & new thingy (some plugins are old, others new... and decitions needs to be done!)

Otherwise, you need to rely on CMS solutions with you could do practically all, like typo3... but that one is anything but friendly for a developer! So I prefer a lot of small solutions, and rely on my php coding skills, rather learning how it works a suite! This way, is smoother to move from version to version, since is not that much coded, and is mostly "from the box" (even so, for example, I have a very hacked version of b2evo, and to upgrade is quite painful! :P )

My 2 cents! :D

10 Sep 12, 2011 21:34

Hum... what is your hack that goes deepest in the core where you just had to hack it and could not solve it at the skin or plugin level?

11 Sep 13, 2011 00:47

fplanque wrote:

Hum... what is your hack that goes deepest in the core where you just had to hack it and could not solve it at the skin or plugin level?

Well, it dont go that deep, but deep enough! :P With the b2evo, in order to have i18n, I made to share some tables for a certain instalation, and other are "shared" for the whole network; in this case, users. This is mostly easy to do, due the structure of the b2evo; in the past, the db declarations were at the core/advanced.php, in the 3 series in 2 files in the core, and now, there is an extra file somewhere) So yes, it goes deep, but no, not that much! :P (and every new version of the b2evo, this twists change, due there are more and more tables... xd )

12 Sep 17, 2012 06:40

hhtmp88 wrote:

Should I use b2evolution or wordpress?

You made a couple of comparisons with Joomla. Why not stay with Joomla?

I started out with b2evolution and tried to move to Drupal, Joomla, tikiwiki and WordPress. At the end I kept my own two separate blogs on b2evolution, I've built two sites with WordPress and I plan to code the 5th site by hand.

By far b2evolution is the easiest to use and setup. WordPress seems to have more in plugins. A calender is one and I think it will talk to facebook. I could not click with either Joomla or Drupal. I was able to build a Drupal site, but I could not figure out how to get data into my blogs.

One thing I found with WordPress is that the plugins don't stay current with the core updates. I problem if a security update breaks things.

My suggestion would be to set up a sandbox, a test site, and put it together each and see which one does all you need. I Google'd and researched and determined that WordPress would work fine for me. When I rolled it out, it lack a working up to date feature that my site was going to be centered around.

-JJ

13 Sep 19, 2012 18:43

Hi François,
fplanque wrote:

I think that you can find a simple and clear example here
http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=24905
look at the last 2 or 3 replies.
regards.
Jacques

14 Sep 24, 2012 00:42

Jacques, we will add many more configuration options to widgets once version 5 is out.

15 Sep 24, 2012 01:34

fplanque wrote:

Jacques, we will add many more configuration options to widgets once version 5 is out.

Will we have the ability to show/hide widgets whereever we want ? (show in certain category / pages, hide in some)
It's not very customizable when you have to display it across the blog.For example i might want to display a slider widget in homepage but not in other pages.
Or related widgets acording to category / pages

16 Sep 24, 2012 03:02

That depends on whether the skin treats the homepage differently from the other pages. But we are working on providing a good example of this in v5.

17 Sep 24, 2012 03:15

fplanque wrote:

That depends on whether the skin treats the homepage differently from the other pages. But we are working on providing a good example of this in v5.

Wordpress doesnt have this functionality afaik, but joomla handles it pretty darn good, you should check it if you havent already..But it has this "menu item" thingy, to associate your blog/category/post/page/whatever with your widgets(modules).WP on the other hand still has "menu items" but they are not customizable by widgets afaik.

Maybe b2 also should have a "menu" that you can craft your own.Like so:

Home (aggregated post loop) | About (A static page) | Porfolio (portf. category posts) | Contact us etc.. you get the idea.

18 Sep 24, 2012 03:18

Do I get the idea: yes & no. I don't get how it works in detail.
Can you point me to some documentation that explains how this works in Joomla?

19 Sep 24, 2012 07:52

fplanque wrote:

Ok François, thanks for this promising answer. :)

Form is loading...